Thread: Newbie stuffup with side rail

State
    SA
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shedstuff View Post
    Even the professionals stuff up, I have a Jackbot with side rails that sit up about 3mm from the factory. Even if you get the lock down bar seated you will be constantly annoyed because your thumbs rub on the sharp edge.
    That would definitely tick you off!

State
    Pinball Central
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)
    just heat gun or fishing line remove and fit new tape and refit
    Australian Distributors for Planetary Pinball, Chicago Gaming, American Pinball.
    Your one Stop Shop For New Pinball & Arcade Games.

State
    Barden Ridge NSW
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1396 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsey View Post
    Cheers for the suggestion steve. I'd already considered whether a hair dryer would soften the glue but I'd rejected the idea because I was worried it might also soften and stretch the decal - not sure if that's the case.
    Well in that case I understand you don't want to damage your new decals.
    How about a heat shield to protect the decals?. Just a piece of sheet metal with an air gap under it over the decals should prevent any heat getting to them. Put an edge of the sheet metal hard up against the side rail bottom edge and hold the side of the sheet metal not against the side rail up so it isn't touching the decal. This will prevent any heat getting to the decals. The heat will be stopped by the metal sheet. As long as there is an airgap, this should work perfectly to preserve your decals.

State
    SA
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ballypinball View Post
    just heat gun or fishing line remove and fit new tape and refit
    I'd read a suggestion of dental floss on another forum but that seemed farfetched to me lol. I do have some fishing line though so I can certainly give that a go, and since they're your rails I'm confident you know your stuff with them Cheers Wayne!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Autosteve View Post
    How about a heat shield to protect the decals?. Just a piece of sheet metal with an air gap under it over the decals should prevent any heat getting to them...
    Great suggestion thank you, I will find something I can use and definitely do that!

- - - Updated - - -

So I now have a number of suggestions from everybody that I can try, and in my head I'm ranking them by the likely risk of causing noticeable damage to the cab ... heat, fishing line, jointing knife, box cutter. I'll give one or more a try tomorrow and report back on how I fare in case it's useful to anyone in the future. Thanks again to everyone who took the time to read and offer advice, you're all legends!

State
    SA
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Success!

Borrowed the better half's hair dryer and tried just heating the side rail and trying to work it off, but found the rail stayed stuck fast to the decal and was lifting that off the cab ply instead.

I fed a length of fishing line between the rail and the cabinet but found it didn't separate very effectively unless the rail was also heated, so I borrowed the better half's hands as well so one of us could heat and the other could work the line. After 10 mins or so we got the rail off, though the process had carved up the decal a little in places and left it stuck to the back of the rail (and conversely some glue strip remained on the decal):

removal1.jpg

As @vett had foreseen though, all damage was hidden behind the rail so it wasn't a significant problem. After cleaning the rail and the cab to get neat surfaces, I ran some more double-sided tape along the back of the rail, made sure I had it in the right spot this time, and used the genius hint from @newy16216 about leaving the backing paper attached to the tape and pulling it out from under the rail once it was positioned properly.

So now, I have a rail sitting correctly on the slide ...

removal2.jpg

... and no visible sign that it was ever in the wrong spot. Plus my lockdown bar secures in place again, so I'm the happiest of campers

Huge thanks go out again to all you guys who offered guidance on this - the outcome was so much better than I was thinking it could be! The knowledge and experience of the community here always astounds me. I sure wish I could've collected what everybody already knew about cab building and dumped it into my own head before I started this project!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information