State
    SA
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

Newbie stuffup with side rail

G'day all.

Been working on building a cabinet from scratch on-and-off for about 2 years now, and it's been a comedy of errors most of the time as I've never done anything of the sort before! So far I've been able to recover from each of my missteps one way or another, but now I think I've met my match.

Last night I attached my side rails - regular WPC ones from Mr Pinball. Nervous that it seemed to be a "one chance to get it right" process, I did some practice runs first without removing the protective paper from the glue strip along the back of the rail. I found it seemed to work out right if I held the rail out at an angle from the cabinet and rested the top lip of the rail on the plastic glass slide, and then could rotate the rail down and press flush to the side of the cabinet.

However when I removed the glue backing and did it for real it didn't go quite as I practiced. On one side of the cabinet the rail doesn't run 100% parallel to the glass slide but rises slightly so it ends 3-4 mm above the slide at the front:

siderail2.jpg

I thought that my stuffup hopefully wouldn't make any difference except from a cosmetic point of view, but I've found that my lockdown bar now doesn't seem to want to lock in place no matter how I try and I can only assume it's because of the additional height of the rail. I was glad I at least hadn't nailed the rail in place before finding out!

I've tried to prise the duff rail off gently so maybe I could reposition it, but that glue strip is too bloody strong so I can't see it coming off without either bending the rail or lifting the cabinet decal or both.

Any AA'ers here had any experience with this kind of thing? I'm hoping there's something I can do to rescue my situation without buying another rail and getting another decal printing and starting over Any suggestions would be very welcome please!

State
    brisbane
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    75 Post(s)
    When i remove side rails , i use a new bladed box cuter style knife and run it up under side rail to cut sticky tape . It will take a few passes going deeper each time .
    You should be able to remove without to much damage to decale , but cause you have mounted rail high , when you refit it lower it will cover up any marks .
    Clean up surfaces and get some more tape at bunnings . Done
    We all learn by mistakes

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

State
    SA
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vett View Post
    When i remove side rails, i use a new bladed box cuter style knife and run it up under side rail to cut sticky tape.
    I don't have a box cutter, but I've got a craft knife with a few spare new blades (used to trim the decal when I put it on) so I might try starting with that first. If it turns out I need to get a box cutter to reach further under the rail then I can go buy one to finish the job.

... cause you have mounted rail high , when you refit it lower it will cover up any marks...
    Good point which I hadn't considered

We all learn by mistakes
    True. For instance I've learned that it was a mistake to even attempt something this ambitious as a first hands-on project! It's rewarding to see it coming together (slowly) but every step of the way stresses me out lol.

Cheers for the reply vett - great to get feedback from someone with experience!

State
    Brisbane, QLD
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    134 Post(s)
    You can also use a jointing knife that you push through the tape then run horizontally. There's no risk of cutting through the decal as it's not sharp enough, but it will eat the tape OK.

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    163 Post(s)
    When you go to put the rails back on only peel the tape of a little bit at each end so you can grab it once rails are in position, also normally you have a bolt hole to line them up

- - - Updated - - -

Paper backing on the tape

State
    SA
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by capsule View Post
    You can also use a jointing knife that you push through the tape then run horizontally. There's no risk of cutting through the decal as it's not sharp enough, but it will eat the tape OK.
    Haven't heard of one of those so definitely don't have one lol. The decal is pretty thin though so I'd be surprised if it doesn't tear!

Quote Originally Posted by newy16216 View Post
    When you go to put the rails back on only peel the tape of a little bit at each end so you can grab it once rails are in position, also normally you have a bolt hole to line them up
    Awesome hint, I never would have considered that! And true, because it's a new cab there was no hole but I could have marked myself one when doing the practice run. I will keep it mind, thanks newy

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    163 Post(s)
    I would definitely use the bolt holes for sure then you canít go wrong ,

State
    Barden Ridge NSW
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1295 Post(s)
    You may have success with a heat gun or the wife's hairdryer to remove the side rail. It is going to take some heat but most double sided tape lets go if you can get enough heat to it. Maybe try one section at a time and when it partially comes off, slip an A4 sheet of paper under it so it doesn't reattach before moving on.

State
    SA
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Autosteve View Post
    You may have success with a heat gun or the wife's hairdryer to remove the side rail. It is going to take some heat but most double sided tape lets go if you can get enough heat to it. Maybe try one section at a time and when it partially comes off, slip an A4 sheet of paper under it so it doesn't reattach before moving on.
    Cheers for the suggestion steve. I'd already considered whether a hair dryer would soften the glue but I'd rejected the idea because I was worried it might also soften and stretch the decal - not sure if that's the case. I might keep it up my sleeve as a follow-up option. The idea with the sheet of paper is great though, I'll use that

State
    Ipswich
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    Even the professionals stuff up, I have a Jackbot with side rails that sit up about 3mm from the factory. Even if you get the lock down bar seated you will be constantly annoyed because your thumbs rub on the sharp edge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information