Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×

Yer, it will be old solidified grease in the wheel mechs. Work the machine as you have been doing with the tray that holds the machine inside the cabinet in the out position, (they usually have a knurled bolt holding them in the closed position so you need to remove that allowing the tray to pull out). Just make sure the tray can slide out on a secure surface or the machine will tip over potentially crushing you.

Work the mech as you have been doing but this time now that you can see the back, you will notice a number of spring loaded fingers that slide down engaging the gears on each wheel to start the wheels spinning. Inside the gears there is grease. Clean it out and apply new grease. The problem should be gone.

If you use degreaser, be very careful not to get it on the wheel faces as you will "never" get it off them.

Just manually scrapping out the majority and replacing it with new lithium grease is usually all that is required.

If the time the reels spin is to short, you will notice something that looks like a gyroscope. This is the timing mechanism that determines the wheel spin time duration. Again, clean out the old grease and put in new thinner grease and this will have it spinning much faster and for longer.

This will make the reels spin for longer before they are allowed to stop.

Easy to fix engine de-greaser, water rinse & warm air dry, then re-oil with machine oil. DO NOT USE GREASE ON THE REELS.

thats a neat looking bandit. How does the jackpot reels in the top box work?

I said grease because the machine I had from the very early 60s, ( 3 reel, 1 shilling machine), had never been touched for years and had grease that had turned to like clay. The machine certainly didn't like it and spinning was only happening because the grease had cracked around the moving parts.

After removing most of it without tearing the machine to bits, I used clear spray lithium grease. This is the same grease used on things like car door hinges where clothing is likely to touch but you don't want it staining the clothing. Thin enough to spray out a nozzle in a pressure pack but with no splashing and sticks like shit to a blanket.

The Aristo service manual for these mechanical mechs does suggest grease in a couple of spots, and light machine oil for the rest.

- - - Updated - - -

Alternates 1 cent for every 10 cents pulled. Controlled by a simple relay PCB.

Neat! Does it reset once the jackpot has been achieved?

The Aristo service manual for these mechanical mechs does suggest grease in a couple of spots, and light machine oil for the rest.

- - - Updated - - -

Neat! Does it reset once the jackpot has been achieved?

No, that's a manual reset for the attendant. I have avoided greasing reels for decades I just grease the large metal on metal parts the rest is machine oil. Works fine for me.

No, that's a manual reset for the attendant.

Ah OK cool. So I see there are 2 jackpots. Reading the back panel it mentions the lit red arrow. So the jackpot is for $$$$ does the red arrow alternate between the 2 jackpots between spins?

- - - Updated - - -

So just some interesting fun facts regarding Jackpots in old Aussie mechanical bandits.

We exported a shit ton of these things to the UK back in the 1960's and a lot of them had visible jackpot mechs built into the belly panel. So it had a clear window where you'd see the coins accumulate. If you hit the jackpot of 777 etc, a solenoid would open the trap door of the mech and release all the coins!

So why don't we see them here?

NSW government banned any kind of visible jackpot mechanism. :cry

15ef5eb5-606b-4e98-a383-24f58259549b.jpg

So just some interesting fun facts regarding Jackpots in old Aussie mechanical bandits.

We exported a shit ton of these things to the UK back in the 1960's and a lot of them had visible jackpot mechs built into the belly panel. So it had a clear window where you'd see the coins accumulate. If you hit the jackpot of 777 etc, a solenoid would open the trap door of the mech and release all the coins!

So why don't we see them here?

NSW government banned any kind of visible jackpot mechanism. :cry

https://assets.catawiki.nl/assets/2017/10/5/1/5/e/15ef5eb5-606b-4e98-a383-24f58259549b.jpg

Simple answer, TAX.

Simple answer, TAX.

Heh yeah probably!

Ok so here is another nerdy fun fact.

The odds of getting the jackpot pay on an old Aristocrat are as follows.

3 reel model - 10,648:1

4 reel model - 234,256:1

The logic of these odds is every reel has 22 positions. Hence the "Super 22" logos on a lot of games. So the jackpot symble appears only once on each reel. Therefor the maths is 22x22x22= for 3 reels, and 22x22x22x22= for 4 reels :)

I said grease because the machine I had from the very early 60s, ( 3 reel, 1 shilling machine), had never been touched for years and had grease that had turned to like clay. The machine certainly didn't like it and spinning was only happening because the grease had cracked around the moving parts.

After removing most of it without tearing the machine to bits, I used clear spray lithium grease. This is the same grease used on things like car door hinges where clothing is likely to touch but you don't want it staining the clothing. Thin enough to spray out a nozzle in a pressure pack but with no splashing and sticks like shit to a blanket.

Aldi has lube spray on sale at the moment for $6.99 a can.

Sent from my CPH1701 using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Heh yeah probably!

Ok so here is another nerdy fun fact.

The odds of getting the jackpot pay on an old Aristocrat are as follows.

3 reel model - 10,648:1

4 reel model - 234,256:1

The logic of these odds is every reel has 22 positions. Hence the "Super 22" logos on a lot of games. So the jackpot symble appears only once on each reel. Therefor the maths is 22x22x22= for 3 reels, and 22x22x22x22= for 4 reels :)

I always thought the chance of winning Tattslotto was 50:50

Either you win or you don't...:lol

So, I applied degreaser and the last time I saw this much grease I was eating at Mama's Fish Shop, Beecroft Rd Epping c1973. Cleaned it up but still the reels barely spin. Will give it another go.

You are doing the de-grease with the main section removed from the casing & after the degrease you need a rinse, dry & re oil the reel axle.

What machine is it?

Aristocrats have a little lever at the base of the mech, just to the right of the overflow tube. If you pull the lever out it will let the reels free spin without coining it up. If they are spinning freely with the lever pulled out, but run sluggish when coined up, you have another issue like brakes not disengaging properly etc.

Thanks everyone for the tips. After trying everything, still no success until I started manually trying to move every part to see if any were stuck. The mechanism shown in Pic 1 was tighter than a...... So I removed it and found the grease inside had turned to chewing gum. Pic 2. Cleaned it off with turps, washed off, dried then a spray of lithium grease and reassembled. Put it all back together and all good. Reels spin like new.

IMG_20190720_191619.thumb.jpeg.e48780ed9e0f7a40346170eae46aaa89.jpegIMG_20190720_191702.thumb.jpeg.7efbe29527849042cf0b6369b08e3376.jpeg