Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Nba jam restore or not?

Hi guys, just purchased an nba jam upright.

It's got a few issues.

Control overlay has old style non nba design.

2 of the 4 player credit buttons dont work, and some of the buttons such as pass intermittently operate. Not sure if its wiring connections or age. They also feel pretty ordinary using as well.

Screen is working but can look average at times and greenish.

The cabinet has no nba snickering on sides, has some chips around it.

Do I replace some of this myself with little arcade knowledge or do I get a pro to do it.

Can anyone recommend a good guy with reasonable prices.

I also have the nba jam te board. How hard us that to swap over with the current NBA jam board?

Thanks.

Michael

Maybe some of the sponsors on here could supply. Ozstick has everything i think. Another sponsor redoes the artwork for control panels - pretty sure they are in vic. But im in Adelaide. Welcome to AA. A good resource and a good bunch of peoples.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

@MamePatrol (http://www.noodleshirt.com) should be able to supply you all the artwork for the machine. Joysticks and buttons you should be able to swap over fairly easily yourself. You'll probably need to patch and sand any bad spots on your cab before artwork application or your artwork will show bumps, divets etc..

Board and monitor tube/chassis issues you'll need to get a tech to look at unless it is just a basic degauss needed. In which case buy or borrow a degaussing wand and try that first.

Thanks @stuzza

I'll contact @MamePatrol

In regards to my machine, i swapped over my nba jam board and sound for an NBA jam te.

Can all the same wiring be used?

The sound board wont line up with the holes in the main board.

When I turn it on it says ram chips bad ua13 and ua14.

What is this and who should I go to to fix?

It had an nba jam board in it working fine. I just swapped it over and it comes up with those errors then loads the game.

Sound board holes wont fit the mainboard either.

Pics of board or cabinet.

Has leisure and allied industries plaque and serial number ontop.

I'm no expert but it looks like a generic LAI cabinet. The control panel certainly isn't an original NBA Jam one, that's just been covered with an overlay, as the Start buttons were illuminated rectangle buttons on the originals. In saying that, I think the colour scheme of the cabinet (eg. side and front panels) are the same as the NBA Jam ones.

I've got an NBA Jam and NBA Jam TE board. Are you saying the sound board plug/connector doesn't match? I'll have a look when I get the chance.

What do u think the machine is worth in current state as a generic nba jam?

The te board and sound board screws holes dont match to connect to each other as the standard nba jam did.

With the sound board, do you mean the soundboard won't mount onto the main PCB? Is the sound all working?

I don't have the sound board mounted on top of the main PCB. I think the sound boards were interchangeable with ROMs changed between a number of games (NBA Jam, NBA Jam TE, MK1 etc), so maybe your soundboard was originally from a different game.

If you can get/change the control panel and get the required art, theres no reason this cab couldn't look almost identical to any original NBA Jam if that's your goal.

NBA Jam and NBA Jam TE are just rom swaps, the boards are the same, so I am not sure where you are having difficulty, take some pics.

Saying that, I am pretty sure you change roms on both the main board and sound board, so I am assuming you have two sets of boards? As in, 4 total boards - 1 main, 1 sound for NBA JAM, 1 main, 1 sound for NBA TE.

As the guys said, that is the same type of cabinet that came out of the factory, and LAI slapped on the NBA Jam artwork etc, same for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles more or less. So no, it didn't start off its life as an NBA Jam, but if you buy all the art work, it will be the closest you can get to being original without being original, if that makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
Who would you suggest I go to in vic to get the board fixed and wiring issues for service and test buttons?

are you not comfortable in doing the rom swap yourself? Jomac was no go? Womble is the only other person your way.

I need the artwork, control panel, t.e board repaired, 2 joysticks wont work and buttons on other 2 dodgy, service and test buttons not working. I want 1 guy who can do it all. Preferably onsite.

I’ll give you the cost what’s involved for someone to come out on site by a professional arcade tech/restorer;

Call our fee min btw $120-190 for max 90 mins then it’s min $60-90 per hour.

Then on top of that you have also the parts.

Side Art varies from $300-600

Control panel varies from $300-500

Repair of the board min $150

I reckon you will be up for min $2k plus to restore the cabinet to its original.

• 3 months later...