Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Self Centering - Magnetic Levelling Plate

Been thinking about this for a while now and

decided to have a crack.

This is basically a 'Smash Toy Plate'

While I only have 1 switch attached ATM

The idea is to have Universal hit recognition like a

Joystick depending on the angle you hit

( the captive ball) SmashToy.

The Captive Ball on this unit is mounted to the top plate -

But could be mounted via a standoff to the bottom plate -

with a hole in the Top plate big enough to allow the ball through.

Basically the top plate being the Playfield itself

IMG_20190630_102003562.thumb.jpg.a641d329022697530baca71850e71534.jpg

IMG_20190630_101936504.thumb.jpg.117389efa2c1ff76233ae25d6c379b43.jpgIMG_20190630_101949535.thumb.jpg.ea8532f2557133323001e22c937e074e.jpgIMG_20190630_101918958.thumb.jpg.16c83d82e5a7b147407916ed9efc6596.jpg

Edited by kress

Funny how minds think alike. I was after a target at one stage that could determine which direction it was hit. One of four directions if that is what you are thinking?

My line of thinking was a joystick post like that used on arcade joystick controllers where just the joystick ball was sticking through the playfield and 4 tactile switches mounted around the shaft under the playfield.

If the ball is hit, it moves a couple of mm activating one of the tactile switches.

The bottom of the joystick shaft screws into a upright mounted spring and relies on that spring to re-center the ball.

Not sure if this was the effect you where after but just in case this may give you some ideas to archive what you are after.

@Autosteve

Tried a joystick but didn't like the angle and travel required.

Looking to place smash Toys on the plate that may be upto 5 inches high , so the single pivot point of the joy stick is problem.The Top of the smash Toy may move some distance , this idea limit it to 3-4 mm.

For a captive ball only I think your right a joystick would do the job.

Yer I put the idea on the backburner myself because of the challengers. I didn't believe I could rely on the spring to definitely take the pressure off the tactile switches and if I put in harder tactiles or a harder spring, the target wouldn't register a ball rolling onto it from the top of the playfield.

Good luck. I'm interested to see how you possibly overcome the challengers.

Yer I put the idea on the backburner myself because of the challengers. I didn't believe I could rely on the spring to definitely take the pressure off the tactile switches and if I put in harder tactiles or a harder spring, the target wouldn't register a ball rolling onto it from the top of the playfield.

Good luck. I'm interested to see how you possibly overcome the challengers.

This thing centres pretty sweet, because its magnetic it doesnt seem to have a choice.

Little bit more work today on this crazy thing

Mounted 3 switches and tested - with magic 'code' this means a viable 5 switch responses.

Groovy soundtrack too

Excellent, magnetic seems to get what you were after. The simplicity of the design I like, the less parts, the fewer parts to fail. Well done.