Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

New member from South Africa

Hi everybody.

I'm from Johannesburg, South Africa.

Started collecting pins a few years - lifelong dream.

I love everything about pinball - the artwork, electronics and mostly just playing them.

Current collection:

STTNG - fully restored.

Twilight Zone - working, doing some improvements.

Corvette - being restored - haven't played it yet.

DE Star Wars - prefect original condition.

and.......no more space..... If I had the space, time & money, there would be a warehouse FULL of pins!

I used to read about the great pins and the boring pins, easy and deep rule sets etc... without really grasping it all.

Until my collection got a bit bigger and I played regularly, and until I got the TZ and STTNG, then the penny dropped - but that said, if I could, I would collect any pin!

I can spend hours on the net reading about pins - the forums are priceless - this is a beautiful hobby.

Cheers.

Yes, correct, all original ashtray... I thought it was quite cool when I saw it for the first time. Now its used for keeping pin parts while fixing a machine :)

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Pinball Evangelist.

So in SA the pinball prices have more than doubled over the last 3 years.

There are 2 dealers in Jhb that are basically buying everything up, fixing and reselling, as well as importing in bulk and reselling.

This is pushing prices up further - but at least there are pins to buy. But I reckon demand will come down slightly - it is still an expensive hobby.

1 dealer down in Cape Town doing EM's only, and probably one or 2 more around the country.

So not such a big market.

An entry level/not so popular machine will typical go for R25K (rand currently almost 10 to aussie dollar) so 2,5K dollars.

The holy grail machines can go all the way up to R100K/10k dollars.

Even EM's start at R15k.

But the "man cave" hysteria has hit us all big time - including myself. Car show vendors are selling old crap for big money - hubcaps, street signs... you name it.

Facebook full of people selling old things to hang on walls.

And....... everybody wants a pinball.

This Flash Gordon machine I bought was imported from South Africa, but looks like it was at some time operated in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe. A dealer here in Australia imported one of more containers of machines From SA about 5 years ago.

According to the dealer here, somebody had gone around & collected all the SS machines they could find & were then stored in an aircraft hanger somewhere in South Africa where from there were advertised, sold (in container loads) & shipped from. I guess this was before the prices went up there & machines could be found cheap, mine & others he had was very very rough & water damaged, so I guess wouldn't have had much value then.

Mr Vegas must have been pretty famous back in the day to have his pic installed on the apron! P1020352.thumb.jpg.6493bbf537286f966e3665b56740a3ef.jpg[

Doesn't sound at all different to here in OZ:)

- - - Updated - - -

This Flash Gordon machine I bought was imported from South Africa, but looks like it was at some time operated in Bulawayo in Zimbabwe. A dealer here in Australia imported one of more containers of machines From SA about 5 years ago.

According to the dealer here, somebody had gone around & collected all the SS machines they could find & were then stored in an aircraft hanger somewhere in South Africa where from there were advertised, sold & shipped from. I guess this was before the prices went up there & machines could be found cheap, mine & others he had was very very rough & water damaged, so I guess wouldn't have had much value then.

Mr Vegas must have been pretty famous back in the day to have his pic installed on the apron! [ATTACH=CONFIG]142585[/ATTACH][

I'm wishing/hoping it looks a lot tidier now:)

Doesn't sound at all different to here in OZ:)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm wishing/hoping it looks a lot tidier now:)

Actually Jeff it was a basket case. The cab was so rotten it was falling apart when you touched it, & most of the paint came off with the mylar as it was baked on. Backglass was bad too. It's gone to someone that had a donor cab & will try & restore it.

However I do have a nice replacement FG now.