Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MS Frankenstein speakers

I want to update, nothing fancy, the back box speakers on my MSF. I have the manual but cant find out whether they are 4 ohm or 8 ohm? Anybody have any idea. Just as a side note, although its sega the speakers have a data east sticker on them.

Thanks for any advice.

Mick

I want to update, nothing fancy, the back box speakers on my MSF. I have the manual but cant find out whether they are 4 ohm or 8 ohm? Anybody have any idea. Just as a side note, although its sega the speakers have a data east sticker on them.

Thanks for any advice.

Mick

- - - Updated - - -

You gonna up the size to 5 1/4”?

If they’re supposed to be 8ohm you can run two 4 ohms in series

Measure the ohms of the originals and check if they’re in series or not.

These games are not just Stereo but Three Chanel ie. Not wired in series like the other olde world, lower standard, Mono sound pinballs like WPC or later Sega/Stern where they cut costs. A channel each for Left and Right and a separate channel for bass in the base. :)

If you want to try improving on what is already the ultimate in pinball sound you'd certainly want to work out where you're going to be mounting extra speakers, and not just blindly wiring left and right in series. This kind of thing has the potential to cause problems and or damage, depending on the method one chooses for implimenting such a thing. Just saying.

Replace Like for Like IMHO

If they are not crackly, and the cones are not damaged... can you do cosmetic work, paint etc, to tidy up what you have? (if the only issue is asthetic)

If it aint broke, y' know. ?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not trying to improve the sound just want to replace same for same. The only reason being is the original ones are a bit daggy, surface rust etc.

I suppose I could Razorsedge, But I have ordered the colordmd panel for it, so I thought i'd tidy the whole panel up and have everything basically new, from what ive seen 4" x 4" speakers aren't expensive and once there've been replaced, I shouldn't have to worry about the part of the Pin for years to come.

Also consider, if these speakers are still working well and have lasted 25 years.... they are good quality. Relatively, they don't make them like they used to! . You also most often get what you pay for, so as long as the new speakers aren't toooo cheap.

If you do go for modern speaker replacement, don't throw out the originals. Someone will definately be happy take them off your hands if they're still okay and you don't want them.

Those Jumbo ColorDMDs are the bomb! ... once all 4 titles are remastered I will be torn on where the one I have will live. My MSF has a s#!tty pin2dmd (running shades of blue) with a few dodgy dots, the more awesome colorDMD xL will stay in Baywatch at least til they do Batman .... then I might have no choice but to order the second colour XL display :rolleyes

Best way to replace the screen in these games, you'll love it! :)

@Drphat

to determine the resistance you could remove one wire from a back panel speaker and using a multimeter if you have one? on a low ohms selection but higher than 8, putting the probes on the + and - terminals of the speaker will show you the value you are looking for.