Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Williams - Space Shuttle AC gauge wire

tevo

Question

Can someone please advise the correct gauge red wire going from transformer to bridge rectifier used in a system 9 Williams Space Shuttle.

Wire was fried from a shorted rectifier.

E94E9847-A02F-48DD-B4E8-EF5FAAC9F229.thumb.jpg.5eaa5e541b2828cffddca535d2a9c3a0.jpg

5 answers to this question

Wow! For that type of damage you need to make sure the unit is correctly fused. Melting insulation on the wires is a serious concern!

Williams System 3 to 11 are considered "DANGEROUS" by modern standards, as Williams did not put fuses in before the lamp and solenoid rectifiers BR1 and BR2. Without these fuses, there is no protection from a failed (short) rectifier and fires can easily be started.

I have indicated on this pic where the fuses should go.

55905798_2019-06-2411_20_57-2019-06-2411_20_25-Williams_1984_Space_Shuttle_Instruction_Manual_dated_Nov.thumb.jpg.aa9a2f737605059cd27f0c61dd04693f.jpg

I'd probable replace thew wiring with 18GA (0.75mm2) and install two new fuse blocks P/N 205-5000-01

The fuse values can be a little higher than is installed downstream on the power supply board. Maybe 10A on the Lamp circuit and 3A on the solenoid circuit.

There should be plenty of discussion about this mod in past posts.

The irony is if this wire had of been thicker, the transformer probably would have caught fire. Transformers catching fire was very common because of no fuses on the primary side of the bridges in early Williams.

I think it was Williams "Fire" that was the first to actually have fuses factory fitted. I guess they didn't want the machine doing as it was called.:lol

The thing about this whole lack of fuses was very well known from the factory to the operator. Everyone seemed to know but nothing was done from the factory. Stellar Wars for some reason was very popular for cooking it's tranny but they were all capable.

Maybe Williams had a large amount of harnesses they needed to move before the factory bothered with fuses, who knows.

Gottlieb system 1 small tranys are also not fuse protected as they should be. They usually just blew up the trany internally so no real fire risk but an expensive replacement that could of been spared for the sack of a fuse.

Thanks guys.

It was tested outside first. Can never trust them.

I was going to wire fuses in with new rectifiers but instead got Inkochnito's Bridge Board.