Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

LEDs for controlled inserts for Bally SS

adamsebas

Yes.

You don't need the anti flicker add-on on an alltek because it's already baked in, so it's either going the Alltek route, or adding the anti-flicker kit to your original board, or soldering resistors on every single controlled lamp socket.

Yes.

You don't need the anti flicker add-on on an alltek because it's already baked in, so it's either going the Alltek route, or adding the anti-flicker kit to your original board, or soldering resistors on every single controlled lamp socket.

so just to clarify...if i purchase some anti flicker leds i will still need to purchase an add on board as well? or do the anti flicker leds have some sort of resister built in? If a board is needed in additon to the anti flicker leds are you able to advise what that board is?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Aussie Arcade mobile app

so just to clarify...if i purchase some anti flicker leds i will still need to purchase an add on board as well? or do the anti flicker leds have some sort of resister built in? If a board is needed in additon to the anti flicker leds are you able to advise what that board is?

Sorry, no, I misread and thought you were talking about Comet's anti-flicker add-on (https://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/bally-stern-adapter.htm)

They state: "These bulbs house a capacitor that helps prevent flickering in early Bally/Stern solid states. Alternatively, we sell adapter boards that will eliminate flickering in these games."

So, 4 options: Alltek OR anti flicker LEDs OR anti flicker add-on with normal LEDs OR resistors on sockets with normal LEDs

Although, to be honest, these anti flicker LEDs look very expensive compared to the anti-flicker board. I'd rather use the board and be free to use any standard LED.

Sorry, no, I misread and thought you were talking about Comet's anti-flicker add-on (https://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/bally-stern-adapter.htm)

They state: "These bulbs house a capacitor that helps prevent flickering in early Bally/Stern solid states. Alternatively, we sell adapter boards that will eliminate flickering in these games."

So, 4 options: Alltek OR anti flicker LEDs OR anti flicker add-on with normal LEDs OR resistors on sockets with normal LEDs

Although, to be honest, these anti flicker LEDs look very expensive compared to the anti-flicker board. I'd rather use the board and be free to use any standard LED.

thanks for clarifying!

I have tried the anti flicker add on board in my Centaur and still had some flickering.

And have altek boards in two Meteor machines both which still have about 5 lamps that flicker.

Maybe a combination will work.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Aussie Arcade mobile app

yeah I'll see how go...bloody old Ballys! [emoji6]

I have tried the anti flicker add on board in my Centaur and still had some flickering.

And have altek boards in two Meteor machines both which still have about 5 lamps that flicker.

I was about to get a set of anti flicker add-on boards from Comet. That's a concern with these add on boards not being 100%.

Were the Centaur & Meteor lamps that still flickered with the add-on board installed the same as without the add on board? or a reduced more acceptable level of flickering?

The add on boards I gave to @rusty_dagger and went back to coloured bulbs on Centaur with just a couple of leds that didnt flicker.

Both Meteor have Altek lamp driver boards and do a very similar thing on the Rocket1 lamps, I have tried a resistor on these lamps as well with no success.

Altek did offer to look at the boards for me but I didnt take the offer up.

I did try a range of different leds in my Meteor as well including "no flicker", again with no success.

The add on boards are running in a Phoenix I believe, not sure how well.

Sorry but I thought that I bought your CENTAUR...Didn't know you had another....lol...Dave

I have tried a resistor on these lamps as well with no success.

Try upping the ohm rating of the resistors. I put in 460ohn resistors soldered directly to the original Bally board and still had a couple that would occasionally flicker. I upped it to 1k and the problem went away. There is another alternative, put two LED bulbs in parallel.;)

Never tried this but found it on the Web.

That is exactly what I did with one modification. I used an unused pin and socket in one of the board connectors to supply the common and ran the common in the head harness so there is no single wire you need to disconnect every time you pull the board, something this and the plug in boards have in common. The resistor banks I used did have to be changed as I said but what I learnt was some of the SCRs need more resistance to illuminate the flickering.

For this reason if I do this again I will put resistors on each socket instead. I just think it is a more precise and discrete way of doing the job. To find the exact resistor required for each LED I would wire a potentiometer with two wires attached, a alligator clip on each lead and clamp it on a lamp socket. Turn the pot till the flickering stops. Take the pot out of the circuit and meter the pot value and that will be the resistor value that LED requires.

Solder one end of the resistor to the lamp socket, slide on heatshrink and then solder the other end of the resistor to the other side of the socket.

Hell, Williams have a diode soldered to each light socket, I think I can live with Ballys having a resistor especially if it is under heatshrink so it will never short on something.