Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Chinese buggy ignition problems

robm

The kids bought a non working buggy for $100 with their saved up money (ages 2 to 8). I told them I would pay for repairs as long as they helped and learned some mechanical troubleshooting along the way.

I have a problem now in relation to ignition but here is the background.

Brought it home last weekend and the machine had sat for 3 or 4 months as it wouldn't start or even turn over for the previous owner. It came with a new carby and battery. Once we got it home I discovered the initial problem was a sticky start relay, so gave it a few taps and got it turning over. Also repaired a leak in the fuel tank.

There was a spark, but it didn't start for ages then I finally got it running but it was running like a hairy goat for a few mins before dying. Bought a new spark plug and cdi (cdi was the issue) and it started straight up and we had a blast for 20 mins.

Then it stopped while idling and I noticed the carby was leaking out the overflow. So I adjusted the float in the carby this arv but then it wouldn't start.

At this point, I observed that when I would press the throttle pedal, it would spark from the throttle wire cable to some metal on the pedal. My son also observed it sparking somewhere around the back - almost on one of the cv joints by his description.

So my theory is that some part of the ignition system has a bad earth or is shorting somewhere? Is this a fait assumption and should I look at any parts or sections of the wiring first? Was hoping someone like @Autosteve might have some tips. I do need to check that I didn't adjust the float too low to ensure it is letting fuel past the needle and seat in the morning, as I've just realised this could be an issue, however is the sparking a concern?

Here are some pics when it was running. Great fun and my wife loves it! db84c2fb5ffdaf173283b7497fb2a78f.jpg9cfaf36b7716750d8ec55d42bc40fa1b.jpg

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

If you saw a spark jumping to the frame I would agree with you, there is a bad ground. Most of these buggys have the battery in the frame and the motor and ignition are all set in the rear swing arm assembly so a good ground is essential so it isn't reliant on the swing arm pivot point itself. The CDI unit itself has a metal side that needs to be well grounded. Some use a wire as well for grounding but some do not.

Most problems I experience are carburetor related especially the auto choke units. A simple idea that puts power through a wire to make it lengthen to close off a path in the carb to shut off the extra fuel going in when cold. However, the needle in this unit that closes off the extra fuel jams a lot and it can jam open, closed or anywhere in between.

Easy enough to fix, open it up and clean but it becomes a repetitious job and I find the manual choke carbs far more reliable and at about $30, a big improvement.

Electrical problems can be harder to diagnose. There is the key switch, kill switch and the harness itself but to help diagnose, take off the ground from the kill switch and sometimes the key switch because then there is nothing but a fault in the harness that can cause issues.

gy6-dc-cdi-wiring-diagram-scooter-ignition-50cc-5-wire-schematics-diagrams-o-pin-box.jpg

Hopefully this is similar to your wiring. This is the bare bones wiring and essentially all that matters to get it running. There are other variations like AC or DC CDI units that can be found here...

https://www.google.com.au/search?tbm=isch&q=gy6+dc+cdi+wiring+diagram&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjch5nApvriAhUCFHIKHTKoCtQQrNwCCEsoAA&biw=1140&bih=690&dpr=1#imgrc=vhigykSCDUJWEM:

For better reliability run ground wires between the components rather than relying on ground points to the frame. There aren't many components and a couple of ground wires can give you very reliable operation.

Don't let the machine sit around with fuel sitting in the carburetor or you will soon get sick of cleaning jets in the carburetor. If you know the machine will be sitting for a while with no use, turn the fuel off and let the motor run the carburetor out of fuel.

Then it stopped while idling and I noticed the carby was leaking out the overflow. So I adjusted the float in the carby this arv but then it wouldn't start.

Not sure about the random spark but if the carby was overflowing it may be a sticky float valve.

I had the exact same problem with a lawnmower that had been sitting around for some time and it was dried up fuel jamming up the carby so your buggy's carby may need a strip down and clean.

Not sure about the random spark but if the carby was overflowing it may be a sticky float valve.

I had the exact same problem with a lawnmower that had been sitting around for some time and it was dried up fuel jamming up the carby so your buggy's carby may need a strip down and clean.

Yeah it's a brand new carby so should be good for the moment

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk