Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Who's got unfinished projects? You're kidding me right!!?

taito

Who's got unfinished arcade projects? Yeah I got a couple. I meet the occasional arcade game collector and out of the closet they come. Project after project.

A few years I realised I had games but hardly any of them were running. What's the point of that! Madness is thy mistress!

So a couple of year ago I vowed not to not be one of those guys who has rooms full of machines, but not a game running in the place.

But these things take time. And it has taken a while. Now I have a working tabletop. No big deal there, but I don't mess with it. That's the deal. No nicking the power supply if I need one to repair another game. So if Frogger is on the cards, I can play Frogger! How simple is that!

Then I have a Pole Position II from Namco, sit-down. I nicked the supply and monitor out of that one two many times. No more!!! It stays working.

The last one in my small collection here with me is a Sprint 2. That works but it's been a nightmare sorting out a monitor for it. I don't really want to go into, but I think flying to the moon would be easier than sourcing a monitor for that.

So anyway... anyone want to share their nightmares, triumphs, tips and advice to not turning into a hoarder with too much stuff to know what to do with it all. :)

If anyone's got any unfinished projects they could post here to. Hopefully we can encourage/spur each other on to get out projects sorted.

Come on peeps, let's hear the pain...

Quoting Brené Brown.... "Shame hates it when we talk about shame."

Ya old lady wont listen about ya arcade pain, post here!

OK... Hopefully that set the scene.. Post away... :)

Edited by taito

I have had this moment in my life and contemplated it many times, And recently made the decision to rectify this situation.

So I almost have no Projects left, Ive stopped taking on any new projects of any kind until everything I currently have is finished.

It stresses me out having unfinished projects. So Ive knocked over most projects and All I have left is one vintage arcade game I need to finish, one car I need todo as far as restoration, but I havent started that resto yet.

I also Just need to get one of my other cars running again, but that resto was done years ago, but it has been sitting for a few years and the fuel pump is seized, so its not a big deal, I still hate thinking about it though.

I am so over long term projects, So after those projects are done I will only do projects I know I can finish on a weekend.

I also stopped doing other peoples vintage arcade restorations for a job, and damn that made me feel Better about life lol

I went ape shit the last 12 months just knocking over projects.

I dont have the tolerance to have too many projects going on at once any more, My main concern has been I dont want tobe one of those guys at 70 years of age telling every one how I will one day finish the project that has been sitting around for 20 something years.

its damn hard to avoid the temptation to take on new projects, especially when you see a bargain, But The stress of having shit unfinished is much worse. So I have drummed those thoughts into my mind.

my tip would be, finish off the ones you know you can do, piss off the ones that you likely know deep down you would never finish, and remind your self not to buy more until your current ones are done. It is hard to let go of something but once its gone you forget about it rather fast.

Yep, I've got a few. A Taito 20" table that I haven't opened since getting it back. A Taito 20" green upright with a Smash TV in it. I need to strip that one and sell all the parts to pay for a multigame board, monitor and 12 volt setup for the farm. And finally a Midway Touchmaster 7000 with a blown EHT trany you can't get anymore. Shame, that is the only thing wrong with that machine but no EHT means no chassis and is it worth changing the 14" Wells Gardener. I don't think any other tube chassis combo would fit inside the steel cabinet. Sort of pisses you off but they don't take up much room.

All my game & projects are complete but it's the workshop that is the pain in my life. I just can't keep it clean, electrical parts, wire, PCB's & tools all over the floor. I sometime clean it up but before you can blink it's in chaos all over again. :blink:

Started out looking to build an arcade, decided I wanted to RGB mod a consumer CRT for it, got sidetracked, obsessed with RGB modding.

Have finally returned to my original project.

Know too well the stress of unfinished projects. Terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Been restoring a data east batman pinball for over 4 years people will tell you longer , just when I thought I was there new decals, new playfield and new everything else , I drunkenly purchased a twin Japanese driving cab , well now that's getting powder coated as it had to much rust for my liking, also have a tatio space invaders that's been going on for way to long will be moving that on it anyone's after one , I will list it soon not to derail this thread lol

BTW, the best tip I can give is have a games room and not a games/work bench room.

Sent from my iPad using Aussie Arcade

- - - Updated - - -

Lol! Ha... and don't do repairs on the kitchen table... even if you have no wife!

Mate, you're games room is awesome, a testament of what can be done. I'll be over the moment you fix that ninth game!!!!

Yep, I've got a few. A Taito 20" table that I haven't opened since getting it back. A Taito 20" green upright with a Smash TV in it. I need to strip that one and sell all the parts to pay for a multigame board, monitor and 12 volt setup for the farm. And finally a Midway Touchmaster 7000 with a blown EHT trany you can't get anymore. Shame, that is the only thing wrong with that machine but no EHT means no chassis and is it worth changing the 14" Wells Gardener. I don't think any other tube chassis combo would fit inside the steel cabinet. Sort of pisses you off but they don't take up much room.

- - - Updated - - -

Feel your pain, CRT pain... "Right here doctor... the pain is coming from about one meter in front of my face".

I can relate, sometimes the problem is funding the repairs/restorations. If I had $5k drop in my lap I could rush out and buy all the bits I need but alas no....its a slow grind sometimes

Finance is a major issue for me so I'm happy at the moment, some jobs have given me a bit of cash to get things rolling. Reparing is a lot easier when you got the dosh. Stops that endless deliberation too!!!! That's the worst!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Started out looking to build an arcade, decided I wanted to RGB mod a consumer CRT for it, got sidetracked, obsessed with RGB modding.

Have finally returned to my original project.

Know too well the stress of unfinished projects. Terrible.

Oh yeah, CTR's are an obsession!!!! I think I've gone cray cray over them in the past, present and future. :0

I've always got some projects on the go. I've recently started tracking the progress of each one using spreadsheet to track what I've done, what I need to do, parts I need to get etc. Given that I'm so time poor many of the projects go on for years. The spreadsheet allow me to track and celebrate the small victories.

For me, I enjoy the restoration part of collecting the most. I don't mind the projects, so long as I am making progress.

Here is the current project line-up...

Projects.thumb.jpg.d30775c3ea41ce56c68b07b9cb6a0cd7.jpg

Who hasn't in this hobby. I had quiet a few cabinet's in the carport until, I finally took the plunge on another project. A HQ Premier. Then the cabinet's needed to come inside and so the race was on to get them operational. So far I have managed to source a new PC for Hydro Thunder and got that working to a 30" Flat Screen - Great Game, and a generic LAI driving cabinet is now working running the M2 emulator for Daytona and Sega Rally. Still a bit to do on both cabinet's but they are working. Last project is doing a new CP for a unique generic cabinet running a Pandora "King of Air" board. Hopefully get that sorted soon :)

If there is a club forming here, I am already in it [emoji14] Still got 3 or 4 projects to complete. Currently restoring a US Galaxian. What I have been finding is that the more of these I do, the more anal I get with them being perfect, so they take longer and longer to complete.. Even if I end up selling this I don't want to rush the restore just to flip it.. I feel I would be doing an injustice to myself, the cab and the potential future owner... I completed a Nintendo R-Type at the end of winter last year and then got started on the Galaxian.. I feel though that the last 50% of this will take 20% of the time.. I hope... [emoji14]

4206b8da0222d06f06e097db6639712e.jpg2defc0b7032ff4c792c3092ffdfbb2b8.jpg

Sent from my HTC 2PZC100 using Tapatalk

I think you're correct.

:lol

I think I was up way too late working on projects to twype corweckly.

UPDATE: Removed profanities. :)

I've been hitting the wall on my Sprint 2 project, but have made it priority. I now have two working PCB's and an original working chassis and Yoke coming from the states. A big stroke of luck in finding that. Thanks to Wayne electronics for sending me the link.

Which reminds me I need to update the post... https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/97905-Stand-back-people-He-s-at-it-again!-lol

There's a good picture of the chassis there.

910864332_23vp111A-Q05Chassis.thumb.jpg.4bd3666bcd42768813ff7620ea91dc20.jpg

I feel like a little fish compared to the amount of projects posted by some AA'er, but to get this one done, I feel, will be a major goal kicked.

Edited by taito

I think I was up way too late working on projects to twype corweckly.

I've been hitting the wall on my Sprint 2 project, but have made it priority. I now have two working PCB's and an original working chassis and Yoke coming from the states. A big stroke of luck in finding that. Thanks to Wayne electronics for sending me the link.

Which reminds me I need to update the post... https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/97905-Stand-back-people-He-s-at-it-again!-lol

There's a good picture of the chassis there.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]142497[/ATTACH]

I feel like a little fish compared to the amount of projects posted by some AA'er, but to get this one done, I feel, will be a major goal kicked.

The yoke is something I might need in the future for my super sprint? I hope I remember this if I do. Wazza

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk