Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

4 player arcade cabinet - a few questions

So I'm about to get a bunch of free-time back soon and I'm looking to start an arcade cabinet that has been on my to-do-list as soon as I moved into my new house 5 years ago.

I have chippy experience and an electronics background, so I'm not bothered so much with the building components, but I'm a little a confused finding a good plan to work off, some of the ones I find online don't look like what I like, but some of the units posted here looks like this:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/332378819214-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

But with an NBA jam theme (I loved that game)... I'd love it if anyone knows where plans like this come from, I'd be happy to pay for them even.

I'm curious though about the controller layout in 4 player versions, the 3rd and 4th players have 4 buttons, but the 1&2 players are 6...? What is the logic behind that?

Also all the buttons along the top side near the panel... Does anyone have a layout list or components.

I'm going to use a small PC... Are there pros/cons to a Intel nuc? I'd like to have mame arcade ROMs, and some early console emulation too, mega drive, nes, and n64 perhaps.

I realise there is probably a million more things I'm missing, but any big gotchas I should be aware of?

Any help appreciated

Matt

• Administrators

Check out the archive of these plans as they may suit:

http://jakobud.com/cabinetPlans.php

Buttons options are due to using 2 centre controls for Fighters etc which require 6 buttons each. Pretty much any 4 player game only requires between 2 and 4 buttons so why add more to the outside controllers.

Intel NUC will work no issue for pretty much most mame and classic console emulators.

The top row buttons in that hideous cab you linked to are Insert Coin and Start Game buttons for each player. I also note the centre joystick and buttons which would be used to single player and spinner games.

Brad

check out http://jakobud.com/cabinetPlans.php

I think the NBA Jam cab Is the same as a Mortal Kombat cab but I could be wrong

Buttons at the top are just personal preference and you can lay them out any way you want, I personally don't have any

as for player 3 and 4 buttons I looked into it a while ago and if I remember right I couldn't find any game that used more than 3, but again I could be wrong as it was a while ago

I have found that a basic pc will run every thing I want fine (up to about super street fighter 2 and snes) not tried N64 but wouldn't you need an analog joystick to play most of the games

thanks guys - that helps a heap.

I forgot to mention, I'm going to be going the LCD route - thinking 40" as it seems to be the popular choice in a 4 player rig that isn't completely OTT.

Is there a *scientific* way of calculating the width required between the front and and sides to mount the panel, and do people make a mdf bezel and put a clear perspex finish over it - or just mount the screen on the underside of a mdf cut-out?

Cheers,

Matt

So I'm about to get a bunch of free-time back soon and I'm looking to start an arcade cabinet that has been on my to-do-list as soon as I moved into my new house 5 years ago.

I have chippy experience and an electronics background, so I'm not bothered so much with the building components, but I'm a little a confused finding a good plan to work off, some of the ones I find online don't look like what I like, but some of the units posted here looks like this:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/332378819214-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

But with an NBA jam theme (I loved that game)... I'd love it if anyone knows where plans like this come from, I'd be happy to pay for them even.

I'm curious though about the controller layout in 4 player versions, the 3rd and 4th players have 4 buttons, but the 1&2 players are 6...? What is the logic behind that?

Also all the buttons along the top side near the panel... Does anyone have a layout list or components.

I'm going to use a small PC... Are there pros/cons to a Intel nuc? I'd like to have mame arcade ROMs, and some early console emulation too, mega drive, nes, and n64 perhaps.

I realise there is probably a million more things I'm missing, but any big gotchas I should be aware of?

Any help appreciated

Matt

Here is a cheap start - I would take it if I had the room

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/373703443563431/