Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×

Hello all,

I'm glad I stumbled across this forum, great resource.

After owning a 2 player 6 button OzStick controller that plugged into a computer to play Street Fighter 2 many years ago, I now have the room and budget for a proper cabinet.

I would love to tackle the build myself but I don't have the tools and I know it would take me months probably years to finish so I just want to buy a pre-built one.

Games I used to play back in the day (I'm showing my age now) were Double Dragon, Street Fighter 2, Sunset Riders, Mortal Kombat, TMNT plus more I've forgotten. I'm thinking 4 player, 6 buttons or at least 6 buttons for the 2 middle players.

I've done a bit of research, I think I'd prefer a 40 inch or so widescreen LCD or at least a 27 inch CRT, how do 4:3 games play on a widescreen LCD? Massive black bars? I haven't kept up with what games are available on MAME these days, are there widescreen games that would look good on an LCD?

Can anyone recommend companies that build cabinets?

The Ultra Custom Cabs looks nice but I've read they're rubbish?

Thanks

Ultra Custom Cabs have had a large number of complaints on here from users, I would avoid them.

Why not go through Ozstick again? They still build cabs, I think?

There is also Chaos Foundry, people have good things to say about them.

As for LCD and widescreen, if you get a good setup, you can configure MAME to display the bezel art of the game in place of the black bars, it's pretty cool. Other people stretch games to fit widescreen monitors, but I think that looks like trash personally.

Cheers, I'll chat to them about it.

One thing I forgot to mention is I prefer the old school buttons rather than the clicky new microswitch ones. Also prefer the thinner style joysticks and not the ones with a dirty great big ball on top, is it possible to get buttons and joysticks like these? What brands would I be searching for?

I'm trying to find images to show what I'm on about and will update the post when I do.

• Administrators

I think you're referring to leaf switch buttons. Some people use pinball flipper buttons but most just put up with and use microswitch these days. Less maintenance although I agree leaf switch just feels right. Don't think you can get them anymore other than pinball ones?

For joysticks, I'm going to assume you're referring to MCA joysticks as your preference which is what we mostly saw in Australia, they don't make those anymore either although they sem-regularly pop up in the For Sale forums here.

Or std ball top which are available all over the place. Maybe the ones you hate are the bat tops which I agree are bloody terrible.

Brad

Ozistick sell the gold leaf buttons, I use this in my vpin, no 'click' no need for a giant leaf behind the button. They just work, I'd get those. I really prefer not having the clicking buttons too.

These are the ones and they work well in my builds: https://www.ozstick.com.au/product/goldleaf-pushbutton/

Got a pic of the joysticks you are after? I used a Happ fight stick knockoff that seem to work well from Austin Amusements I think.