Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Getaway Supercharger problem

DB66

Question

Gday guys

Played Getaway last night(same as every night) and the supercharger first magnet was slow Turned it on tonight and not working at all So I did a Supercharger test and when enabled no magnets work Looked at the opto board and LED 1 is on but 2 3 4 are off So there is power going to the board BUT dont they all have to be on? Where from here? Is it a transistor or a bridge rectifier on opto board or main board I have the transitors for main board but not opto board Would really appreciate some help as I know nothing really What transistor number (ie Q)on the main board Know how to solder and replaced transistors on DE and Gottliebs but am having trouble finding them in Getaway manual(no hard copy) Remember getting help from maybe Oceyan and Pinball Steve maybe They know their stuff

Thanks AA community

DB66

16 answers to this question

• Super Moderator

I'd check the 5v test point on the driver board, in fact test all the test points.

I think if 5v is down, whilst the opto's might still register in test mode, they won't necessarily work during game play so to say.

Had had real issues with my Super Charger and did a whole lot of research and work on it which got it zippy around again .... I am no pinball tech wiz and if i could sort it anyone can. See the link below with all the research and videos of the refurb.

http://pinballevangelist.com/getaway-super-charger-repair-clean-video-and-other-troubleshooting-steps/

Hope it helps....

Had had real issues with my Super Charger and did a whole lot of research and work on it which got it zippy around again .... I am no pinball tech wiz and if i could sort it anyone can. See the link below with all the research and videos of the refurb.

http://pinballevangelist.com/getaway-super-charger-repair-clean-video-and-other-troubleshooting-steps/

Hope it helps....

Wow Thanks that's a bit to go thru tonight Thanks LAP

Sent from my ZTE BLADE V0720 using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Have you blown a fuse because one of your magnets has shorted? Check basics before going into the accelerator board. If the acclerator board is not visually showing the LEDs in order of opto switching then you probably don't have power going there. This visual indicator proves opto switching is OK and the LM339 is OK. Some of the supercharger problems are associated with the accelerator board are opto's not switching which are idicated by the LED sequence on this board, magnet coils failing causing a transitor to fail and lastly LM339 one per coil/opto on this board can fail too.

I had the issue of a magnet coil shorting out blowing a transistor on the accelerator board. The symptom was a slower than normal supercharger. Once the magnet, and tranny replaced and the burnt tracks repaired it hasn't failed since.

If you want to read up on my Supercharger problem and the fix go to this old post.

https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/79254-Williams-Getaway-HS2-Supercharger-Magnets?highlight=supercharger

Edited by hotty

Gday guys Had a DITF so have been away Got back today so

Have done all tests and no power in the Supercharger

no magnets working

5V test point on board reading 5.8 volts all other points testing as per voltage

All fuses look ok but I dont know what setting to put the multimeter on to test fuses Do I test with power on or off?

There is a led on on the opto board under the playfield but the 3 for the Supercharger are off

I have limited electrical knowledge although can easily change resistors and transformers etc on boards if I know what ones

So any help would be appreciated

Thanks DB66

- - - Updated - - -

Gday Hotty

Will check LM339 and see

Will let you know thanks

David

• Administrators

Fuse test with power off, remove the fuse from the mount and set your DMM to continuity.

If you touch each end and hear a beep fuse is good. No beep, fuse bad.

Remove the fuse as bad fuses can test good in some circuits.

Dave

Gday guys Thanks to everyone for their help Especially hotty and furballx Go back to the basics Start with power (fuses and test points) first I looked at the fuses and discovered F3 was blown Replaced that and still the same F4 tested OK in and out of the machine but it looked a bit ratty So changed F4 and all OK Supercharger works fine But I dont understand if F3 and F4 control coils 9-28 how all of these still worked but the supercharger didnt F3 was bad but F4 still tested fine?

Once again thank you to AA community for their help

David

@DB66 the fuse F103 supplies Low power to "Special Solenoids" in this case the supercharger board and the three magnets in the supercharger and the strobe light I think. Sol #25 #26 #28 are the 3 Enable magnets in the supercharger and Sol#27 is the revolving lamp. In a WPC table a Solenoid isn't always a coil but can be a load eg flash lamps or even a motor. Edited by hotty

@DB66 the fuse F103 supplies Low power to "Special Solenoids" in this case the supercharger board and the three magnets in the supercharger and the strobe light I think. Sol #25 #26 #28 are the 3 Enable magnets in the supercharger and Sol#27 is the revolving lamp. In a WPC table a Solenoid isn't always a coil but can be a load eg flash lamps or even a motor.
Thanks hotty

Supercharger works OK 95% of the time now but sometimes won't fire first magnet Error message ssys check opto 1 Turn machine on again all works OK for a while ( 1 hour ) then stops working If I play with wires to the optos all works OK Played for 1 1/2 hours last night No problem Should I resolder the optos ?

DB66

David

Thanks hotty

Supercharger works OK 95% of the time now but sometimes won't fire first magnet Error message ssys check opto 1 Turn machine on again all works OK for a while ( 1 hour ) then stops working If I play with wires to the optos all works OK Played for 1 1/2 hours last night No problem Should I resolder the optos ?

DB66

David

Opto 1

Played Getaway all fine with supercharger but topper light not going Tested fuse on small beacon board Tested fine in machine when I tried to take the fuse out the fuse holder came out LOL So tomorrow I'll be doing a bit of soldering and then see what happens It will be interesting as the beacon and supercharger are on the same driver board fuse Soldering optos and fuse holder in beacon board tomorrow Anyway will let you know

DB66