Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Galaga - How good are the multiboard versions

Questions for the Galaga lovers out there

A friend wants to have a cab for Galaga. How accurate are the multiboard versions? e.g. 60 in 1? What options would people recommend?

I have a RaspberryJAMMA in my cab, the Galaga seems fine on it to me, any experts out there played it and can give an opinion on it's accuracy?

@Barra would be the man to ask.

It was he who I was thinking of.

Happy for someone to go into a detailed analysis. I’m a techy and an arcade purist.

I’m a roast, baste me :-)

If it were me I’d be looking for a genuine board, any idea what they go for?

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

60 in 1 will remember the high score just not the name....

Otherwise the Pandora - King of Air board is a different option. I have both the 60 in 1 and Pandora in separate cabinet's.

I got the Pandora as it's vertical Schmups mainly and I love Raiden which is on this board :)

Few people off track :confused:

OP's question isn't about how to play galaga, on a 60-1 or Pandora etc, also not about what's easiest or cheapest... the question is what version of galaga on what platform plays truest to the original boards...

• Administrators
Few people off track :confused:

OP's question isn't about how to play galaga, on a 60-1 or Pandora etc, also not about what's easiest or cheapest... the question is what version of galaga on what platform plays truest to the original boards...

One would think anything running Mame would be accurate, 60 in 1 is basically the poor mans version :078:the Arcade SD if you can get one is another option but not cheap.

Like others have said short of an original board a Gallag bootleg is another good option which can be reprogrammed to change the title to Galaga easily enough. The bootleg is far more reliable too.

Edited by Arcade King

60-in-1 runs Galaga fine for likely all but the absolute arcade purists. It will be the cheapest and easiest option. However, if he wants total arcade purity without an original board, than a good MAME machine or a RasberryPI Jamma would be the way to go. It depends on how fussy he is and how much money he wants to spend.

Thanks for the input.

The Gallag bootleg option sounds like one of the best.

Only $160 for an original board? I haven’t done an exhausting search but I haven’t come across any original boards yet.

Might go with RaspberryJAMMA again.

Thanks for the input.

The Gallag bootleg option sounds like one of the best.

Only $160 for an original board? I haven’t done an exhausting search but I haven’t come across any original boards yet.

Might go with RaspberryJAMMA again.

You won't get an original working Galaga board for $160, in fact, you'd be lucky to find a non-working board $160.

Here's a rundown of each that I've used.

60 in 1

Pro's

Cheap, game play and sound very good, reliable and easy to replace in the event of a fault, plus other games to play if you like.

Con's

No copyright or logo displayed.

Gallag bootleg

Pro's

Reasonably cheap, available with Jamma pinout, reliable, can display the correct copyright and logo with reprogramming.

Con's

Requires a decent power supply to run, not cheap to replace or repair in the event of a fault.

Arcade SD

Pro's

Plays and sounds exactly like the original, can program other games on it

Con's

Expensive, no longer supported with new games

Raspberry Pi (can't comment, have never used one)

Original Galaga PCB

Pro's

It's the real deal!

Con's

Very expensive, non jamma so you need a dedicated harness, very unreliable, full of custom chips that fail and fall apart, very expensive to repair.

My recommendation, 60 in 1. Cheap and easy.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

As usual I’m over thinking this.

I think I’ll just get him to play the RsspberryJAMMA version I have and see if he likes it.

@Barra would be the man to ask.

Sorry mates can't help here much. MAME is identical to an original as far as I can tell, I don't have a problem switching between the two for comps. Never actually owned the real deal though

Only played on a 60 in 1 a couple of times, seems to be the same.

Never used ArcadeSD

I think that bloke asking $4k has the decimal in the wrong place ;)

:)

I'm no Galaga expert, but I'm told by those in the know that they can't see a difference in game play between and original Galaga PCB and the 60-1.

I practiced, not extensively, but a fair bit with the 60-1 board and to me, I can't tell any difference between that, the original nor MAME. While the 60-1 is just horrible with certain games (mainly sound), games like DK, Pac-Man and Galaga would have been the among the first to have near perfect game play emulation in MAME and even though the 60-1 board is essentially running an very old version of MAME, for games like Galaga they tend to be spot on with the original.

• Administrators
I'm no Galaga expert, but I'm told by those in the know that they can't see a difference in game play between and original Galaga PCB and the 60-1.

I practiced, not extensively, but a fair bit with the 60-1 board and to me, I can't tell any difference between that, the original nor MAME. While the 60-1 is just horrible with certain games (mainly sound), games like DK, Pac-Man and Galaga would have been the among the first to have near perfect game play emulation in MAME and even though the 60-1 board is essentially running an very old version of MAME, for games like Galaga they tend to be spot on with the original.

Where is the proof the 60 in 1 is running Mame? Maybe something changed since the earlier boards which used a single eprom which in no way was big enough to store Mame let alone a cpu fast enough to run it.

I'd like to see some solid proof from somebody who has dumped and analysed the code, even the file structure in test doesn't resemble anything in Mame.

All a quick Google search brings up in a bunch of here say and people parroting one another with no solid proof. :unsure

The 60 in 1 has been a staple in the hobby for a long time now. It's still a cheap and easy option to play the classic but I'm wary of any version of Mame running on it.

Where is the proof the 60 in 1 is running Mame? Maybe something changed since the earlier boards which used a single eprom which in no way was big enough to store Mame let alone a cpu fast enough to run it.

I'd like to see some solid proof from somebody who has dumped and analysed the code, even the file structure in test doesn't resemble anything in Mame.

All a quick Google search brings up in a bunch of here say and people parroting one another with no solid proof. :unsure

The 60 in 1 has been a staple in the hobby for a long time now. It's still a cheap and easy option to play the classic but I'm wary of any version of Mame running on it.

Maybe no solid proof, but do you or anyone seriously think the 60-1 manufacturers went to all the trouble of emulating - nearly perfectly with most of the games, reproducing the wheel when MAME was available and already doing it.

Without looking at every single a game on the 60-1 to confirm, I would hazard a guess that most of the games on it were BITD running on a Z80 or similar CPU running at speeds of under 4Mhz. MAME in its infancy was nowhere near the beast it is today - it wasn't a 121mb executable and a quick look at the ROM files that comprise the games on the 60-1 would suggest that onboard memory to store them is next to nothing.

Unless there are detailed specs of the board that I can't be bothered looking for atm, a quick look at mine looks like it has a 64mb memory chip (samsung) and an intel chip which supports CPUs in the range of 100mhz-400mhz - so more than ample CPU speed for these games - it's not like it's trying to run Daytona USA or a modern fighter.

Maybe no solid proof, but do you or anyone seriously think the 60-1 manufacturers went to all the trouble of emulating - nearly perfectly with most of the games, reproducing the wheel when MAME was available and already doing it.

Without looking at every single a game on the 60-1 to confirm, I would hazard a guess that most of the games on it were BITD running on a Z80 or similar CPU running at speeds of under 4Mhz. MAME in its infancy was nowhere near the beast it is today - it wasn't a 121mb executable and a quick look at the ROM files that comprise the games on the 60-1 would suggest that onboard memory to store them is next to nothing.

Unless there are detailed specs of the board that I can't be bothered looking for atm, a quick look at mine looks like it has a 64mb memory chip (samsung) and an intel chip which supports CPUs in the range of 100mhz-400mhz - so more than ample CPU speed for these games - it's not like it's trying to run Daytona USA or a modern fighter.

It's the emulating of the hardware that uses the CPU power

For interest MAME .29 released in 1997 was 1.7kb executable and supported I think 266 games

• Administrators

Yes and yet still no concrete evidence.

All early version of Mame still ran in Dos on x86 processors and a lot of games used samples for sounds.

I'm pretty sure this has been discussed on AA in the past during the first 4 in 1 - 48 in 1 era's and somebody debunked the Mame myth. Maybe Guru?

I just want to know the absolute truth on the matter.