Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Sony trinitron viewdata

redferatu

Question

13 answers to this question

Is that listing saying it was modded though? If it was sold as a BBC model B monitor/terminal, it will have had RGB functionality all along. But it'll be TTL/digital RGB (RGBI?) because that's what the model B output. But it looks like it was actually designed to be a remote terminal attached via modem to the Viewdata system, not that i'm certain exactly what that was. Some sort of old BBS system?

Some of the early 80's trinitrons with no OSD don't have a jungle with RGB inputs, not having the need. You should check that out though. What are the model numbers on a few of the biggest IC's you can see on the signal board? One of those might be a jungle...The only document ref i can find right now is this one, but i'm at work and the net filter won't let me look at it, so it might be rubbish...

It looks totally adorable either way though, i'm loving that tiny H-Stat :) How big is it?

EDIT: is that hardwired lead coming out the rear, the one that isn't the power cord, a DIN plug? That'll be the TTL RGB connection then. There seems to be some info around about converting TTL RGB to analog, but very little on the reverse, which is what you'd need.

EDIT2: and now i'm confused by exactly what TTL RGB is, and if it's the same as RGBI. I thought it was basically analog RGB in digital format, but i keep running into refs to 4-colour and 16-colour modes related to RGBI and this being equivalent to IBM's old CGA standard.

Edited by buttersoft

Is that listing saying it was modded though? If it was sold as a BBC model B monitor/terminal, it will have had RGB functionality all along. But it'll be TTL/digital RGB because that's what the model B output. But it looks like it was actually designed to be a remote terminal attached via modem to the Viewdata system, not that i'm certain exactly what that was. Some sort of old BBS system?

Some of the early 80's trinitrons with no OSD don't have a jungle with RGB inputs, not having the need. You should check that out though. What are the model numbers on a few of the biggest IC's you can see on the signal board? One of those might be a jungle...The only document ref i can find right now is this one, but i'm at work and the net filter won't let me look at it, so it might be rubbish...

It looks totally adorable either way though, i'm loving that tiny H-Stat :) How big is it?

EDIT: is that hardwired lead coming out the rear, the one that isn't the power cord, a DIN plug? That'll be the TTL RGB connection then. There seems to be some info around about converting TTL RGB to analog, but very little on the reverse, which is what you'd need.

I think it's a 7". They were used to book flights from what I could find among other things.

Is that link an old eBay listing? I'm not getting anything from it but I'm on the phone so night be missing something.

I haven't dug around in there yet. I'm pretty sure the board on the side is a computer off some kind and a modem. I'm pretty sure the plug I noted is rgb. Rather than hack a jungle my plan is to disconnect a colour from the cable and see what happens. Then if I get one less colour I'll work out what they are, see if it's ttl, hv or comp, etc.

The lead coming out the back is a phone socket. That wouldn't carry video would it?

Sent from my HTC 2PZF1 using Tapatalk

I thought i was linking to an old listing for a manual, probably for sale, yeah. I can't see it myself either, though for different reasons :)

Not sure about the phone socket carrying video, what plug it is specifically? RJ12? Maybe you could trace where it goes into the set? I think these things were meant to be able to show a, RGBI signal - which might not help much if that's only CGA and has a limited colour palette.

I like your idea about pulling pins one by one from that internal connector. I haven't had a look at the set though, but it might work.

I think it's a 7". They were used to book flights from what I could find among other things.

Is that link an old eBay listing? I'm not getting anything from it but I'm on the phone so night be missing something.

I haven't dug around in there yet. I'm pretty sure the board on the side is a computer off some kind and a modem. I'm pretty sure the plug I noted is rgb. Rather than hack a jungle my plan is to disconnect a colour from the cable and see what happens. Then if I get one less colour I'll work out what they are, see if it's ttl, hv or comp, etc.

The lead coming out the back is a phone socket. That wouldn't carry video would it?

Sent from my HTC 2PZF1 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I think you are right about cga. That plug has a 5v rgbhv I think. I was hoping it was rgbhv with an accompanying 5v line and I could mix the hv.

A cga monitor might be cool on its own?

I'm looking into vga to cga converters now.

I'll open the thing up later and look for the jungle. This was my practice rbg mod TV.