Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Heeeeelp.

Hello all,

My first time here and hoping someone might be able to help me. I am from Nelson Bay NSW

I have a Gilligan's Island Pinball which has stopped working. First the dmd started playing up and now machine won't start. Has power and can hear humming but that's it :((

Hello all,

My first time here and hoping someone might be able to help me. I am from Nelson Bay NSW

I have a Gilligan's Island Pinball which has stopped working. First the dmd started playing up and now machine won't start. Has power and can hear humming but that's it :((

The dmd is probably the ribbon cables sometimes they just need a bit of a wiggle they are notorious for that and sounds like you have a power board issue maybe something blown on the board ?

Very hard to guess without someone checking it out though

Maybe someone that’s more into the DMD machines can add some more thoughts though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Administrators

Best post a new thread in the Pinball forum. You need to decide if you want to have a go at fixing it yourself or get in contact with a tech to do the work for you.

If you have some electrical knowledge you might be able to sort it but be prepared for a lot of to and fro as part of the process.

Either way welcome to AA!

Hello all,

Need a more detailed description of the machines behaviour. Like what do you mean when you say the "DMD started playing up"? . Also does it do -Anything- when powered up besides a "humm"? (do any lights light up? etc.)

Put a post in "Pinball technical and repair questions".

... and Welcome to AA!

Hi and thank you for your reply,

Initially the Dot Matrix Display was jumbled and then everything shut down. I have checked all fuses and they seem ok. There are a about 4 red leds on the boards which are lit but apart from that just a slight humming sound coming from the board, similar to transformer noise.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks you for your reply Rob

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Furball. I have a limited electrical knowledge but am ok checking with Multi meter. I guess I just need to know where to start. If I can find a local tech guy I might try that.

Hi and thank you for your reply,

Initially the Dot Matrix Display was jumbled and then everything shut down. I have checked all fuses and they seem ok. There are a about 4 red leds on the boards which are lit but apart from that just a slight humming sound coming from the board, similar to transformer noise.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks you for your reply Rob

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Furball. I have a limited electrical knowledge but am ok checking with Multi meter. I guess I just need to know where to start. If I can find a local tech guy I might try that.

"Jumbled" dots (aka white noise) on the DMD is also a symptom of an unpowered mpu. *or processor not running. ie. no output driving the DMD board/display.

Check power connectors too, going into the driver board (the biggest board) and the short jumper giving the CPU (WPC) board its power (long skinny board on the left)

Connector numbers are .... ... ummm ... :redface

- - - Updated - - -

J101, J102, J103 on the very right hand side in the backbox, can be suspect sometimes, on right edge of the big power driver board. Reseat connectors (Gently, support the board) one at a time, check for blackening or burning, try powering up between each reseat.

The other connectors are between two boards. J114 on the Left edge of the power driver board. also a candidate.

It is a short run of wires linking across to the WPC CPU board. J210 on the long skinny board :)

There are a Loooong list of reasons why your machine could be doing this. One fault may not be obvious but be causing many symptom faults. If there are any blown fuses, then there is likely a fault somewhere. Having said that, old fuses can still simply fail. Just Don't overfuse!

:)

@razorsedge did mention reseating plugs and ribbon cables above but I must stress do not do this with the power on, aka hot as you may get a voltage spike and create a compound problem.

Next, you mention fuse's "look" ok. do not assume they look OK while they are still insitu in the board. Remove them and check with a multimeter set on continuity/beeper on. Do you have access to a multimeter? If you replace a blown fuse and it blows again, stop - their is a reason why. You can keep replacing fuse until the cows come home and you run out of money to buy them.

@Beast mentions a very valid point - the batteries. have they been changed? are they old Duracell ones that have leaked alkaline out and damaged the board.

Only this ol' farts 2CW.