Wimmera, Victoria
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2080 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pinballcreature View Post
    Not rude at all! When it comes to computers, I am an idiot

Thanks heaps for the advice

At least it's running again. I will plan ahead for the eventual failure. It can't run forever....
    You do know that 95, 98, XP, Vista & virus updates for them are now longer supported.....NO UPDATES AVAILABLE.

Gemini2544's 4th Pinball meet Saturday 21/03/2020

State
    South Australia
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quoted
    121 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2544 View Post
    You do know that 95, 98, XP, Vista & virus updates for them are now longer supported.....NO UPDATES AVAILABLE.
    Yep, after starting this thread I do. I've deleted my personal files and will only use them on my non internet computer.

I will get a new computer asap.

A couple of weeks ago I bought an Earthshaker......so a bit low on funds at present

BTW do you want to sell your Wild Life?

State
    Wimmera, Victoria
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2080 Post(s)
    Yep, after starting this thread I do. I've deleted my personal files and will only use them on my non internet computer.

I will get a new computer asap.

A couple of weeks ago I bought an Earthshaker......so a bit low on funds at present

BTW do you want to sell your Wild Life?
    Your going to hate Windows 10, It's awful IMO. As to my Wild life Pm me,

State
    SA
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    CPU now mostly running under 25%.

Which one is the best: AVG, Malwarebytes or Avira?
    I think Malwarebytes and AVG are two different types of programs.

MalwareBytes will detect malware while AVG will detect viruses. I used to have MalwareBytes and Avast installed at the same time, I think because MalwareBytes doesn't stay resident and only ran when I want it to run.

But two anti-virus programs running at once would cause problems as you noticed. I had this issue with either AVG or Avast running at the same time as Microsoft's anti-virus that came with Windows 7 Pro.

I have not used Avira, there are a few common anti-virus programs, I think AVG and Avast are two good ones, I use Avast on my Windows 7 machines.

State
    Illinois
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    MS isn't patching vulnerabilities in Windows XP anymore, but as long as the OP is running with the standard security settings the only way their computer is vulnerable is if they download malicious software, same as any modern computer. If someone sophisticated enough to take advantage of exploits was targeting OP, a fully patched operating system probably would't help that much.
    The bigger concern is what software they are running, for example the last version of Firefox for XP has several documented vulnerabilities.
    Antivirus protects users from what they download, but at the expense of performance. It's a personal choice whether or not it's worth it.
    OP, if you want to keep your computer but run modern software, consider some free 3rd party operating systems based of Linux like Debian, Ubuntu, Android-x86 or Neverware CloudReady (Chrome-OS). They come with easy to use installers, but they can also be run from a flash drive without changing anything on your hard drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2544 View Post
    Your going to hate Windows 10, It's awful IMO.
    Unfortunately most modern software does a ton garbage in the background. Today's devs view any computer that isn't pegged as an opportunity to collect personal data, or force download Minecraft. They also prioritize features over performance now that computers are fast enough to hide bad programming.
    Quote Originally Posted by razorsedge View Post
    Bear in mind for any longer term storage, reliability, optical disc is probably both most secure and best bang for buck, as a result.
    In my experience, CDs degrade somewhere between 2-10 years depending on how well they were stored. Personally, I found flash storage to be more reliable, and way more cheap, compact, and faster.

State
    Wimmera, Victoria
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2080 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slomogo View Post
    Unfortunately most modern software does a ton garbage in the background. Today's devs view any computer that isn't pegged as an opportunity to collect personal data, or force download Minecraft. They also prioritize features over performance now that computers are fast enough to hide bad programming.
    I use Linux Mint, It runs very fast, & doesn't pull the wool over your eyes with all the Microsoft & virus crap.

State
    South Australia
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quoted
    327 Post(s)
    You can get cheap s#itty CD's just the same as you can get cheap crap flash drives. Never had a DVD lose my data yet, but have to look after them of course. On the other hand I've had supposedly good quality flash drives let me down many times. My experience is the complete opposite to the above post. DVDs all the way for security (but not budget s#itty ones).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information