Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Namco Cyberlead Monitor Interference

namastepat

Question

Hey arcade boffins, I have a bit of a head scratcher.

Recently picked up a Namco Cyberlead cab. It is JVS wired, with the JVS to JAMMA adaptor factory installed. When I first saw it running, it was running a JAMMA multiboard and the monitor image was perfect. However, when hooking up standard JAMMA boards, the monitor gets some kind of flickering interference that looks like a grounding issue of some kind. I have tested 4 JAMMA boards and they all show the flickering, but to greater and lesser degrees. Neo Geo boards have really bad flickering, but my Raiden Fighters and Sunset Riders boards have very limited flickering. It's still there, but nowhere near as noticeable.

When hooking up a MAME PC running a J-PAC, the picture is perfect, with no flicker.

Any arcade gurus out there know what could be causing this? I would post a video, but I don't think the flickering is going to show up well on a video. Hoping that someone has had a similar issue and knows how to fix it.

Thanks.

8 answers to this question

Before looking for other problems just make sure the speakers are shielded and it isn't the speakers causing the issues if you are using a CRT monitor. If you are using an LCD screen disregard this.

A simple piece of thin aluminum sheeting over the back of the speakers is all that is required. Magnetism can not pass through aluminum.

Should be easy to check, see if the interference increases with the sound volume level.

Before looking for other problems just make sure the speakers are shielded and it isn't the speakers causing the issues if you are using a CRT monitor. If you are using an LCD screen disregard this.

A simple piece of thin aluminum sheeting over the back of the speakers is all that is required. Magnetism can not pass through aluminum.

Should be easy to check, see if the interference increases with the sound volume level.

I imagine that if it was being caused by the speakers, it would also show up when I hook up the MAME pc using a J-PAC. However, there is no monitor interference when running with the J-PAC and MAME.

I will unplug the speakers fully when I get into the cab sometime soon. But I don't think it will be speaker related.

The monitor is a Nanao MS-9 I think. Maybe an MS-8, need to check that out when I am feeling less lazy.

I have tested 4 JAMMA boards and they all show the flickering, but to greater and lesser degrees. Neo Geo boards have really bad flickering, but my Raiden Fighters and Sunset Riders boards have very limited flickering. It's still there, but nowhere near as noticeable.

It was this that made me think it may be speaker related and maybe the boards are running different volume levels.

Was always going to be a long shot but something to try.

Normally a ground issue will be pretty much the same no matter what board you plug in.

Might be worthy of checking if you have any AC in your 5vDC power supply.

Ok, update on this. @Ryan555 checked out the cabinet wiring and from what we could tell, both cabinet and JAMMA harness grounding appears to check out fine. I got the back off the cab tonight and unplugged the speakers totally, no change. @Jomac also suggested unplugging the ground on the monitor chassis, did that, no change.

No idea what could be causing this. It's got to be something related to the cabinet wiring though. When I hook up my MAME PC, the MAME PC is running powered from a different socket, inside a different machine. I just unplug the J-PAC and stretch it out and from its machine and plug it into the cyberlead (hooray for long cables) and the image on the Cyberlead is perfect when I do that. No interference at all. This has me frustrated and stumped.

I am thinking maybe the PSU is causing it, but I don't know enough to really test that. It's a Namco PSU, so not a standard and labelled arcade PSU with all the test points in easy to access spots.

Yep it is the PSU. I've read that the issue can be fixed with a Sanwa power supply if I remember quickly. Never a problem with neo geo setup or namco board. Any other jamma board seems to do it though.

Yep it is the PSU. I've read that the issue can be fixed with a Sanwa power supply if I remember quickly. Never a problem with neo geo setup or namco board. Any other jamma board seems to do it though.

Hey mate, any idea what Sanwa PSU? Or where to find out more info? The PSU is with a mate who is going to recap it, just waiting for the caps to arrive in his next order. If that doesn't fix it, I will have to investigate other options.