Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Sega Daytona 2 - advice on upgrade, conversion & repairs

Pinballer

Question

Looking at buying a Daytona 2 twin and I'm looking for some help please.

What is involved in upgrading to the Power Edition?

Anyone installed LCD's to replace the CRT's? If so, what's the best screen to buy for easy of installation?

Also is it possible to covert this game to other Sega racers such as SR2 or Outrun 2?

Any leads/contact information on reliable board repairs for this hardware here in Australia?

(Sorry Admin, posted this in the wrong section, please move this thread to its appropriate location)

Edited by Pinballer

8 answers to this question

I think the Power edition is similar to the GTX edition which is just a change of roms (3 or 4 from memory) on the top board of the CPU stack. Possibly can change to Rally but you most likely need to change over all the support boards also, ie: I/O boards, sound board, etc + possibly the wiring looms also. I'm fairly positive it's not just a matter of swapping over the main game board stack, much more than that. Keep the CRT's if at all possible, if they aren't working correctly it will most likely be the chassis boards that need work. EDIT** Just realised you said Daytona 2 :( GTX edition which i have on my original Daytona twin is 3 or 4 chips but the Daytona 2 system is a later version entirely so i'm most likely way off the mark.

Hi , the easy way to upgrade to power edition is just to changeover the rom board complete . plugging in an lcd is easy , as the model 3 boards have a vga out . However making a neat factory look finish will be a pain in the ass , since the replacement monitors will be wide screen . There is an ebay seller selling an lcd fitting kit for these cabs but they are not cheap ( you get what you pay for ). Sega rally 2 is a step 2 game . Daytona 2 is a step 2.1 game . These boardsets are almost identical ( slight video and rom upgrades ) , so SR2 might work on a Daytona 2 boardstack but would also require some wiring hacks to include SR2 's hand brake .

Thanks very much for the information @tgates and @Yobs . Hope to finalise the arrangements tomorrow and buy this machine. The new version Daytona Championship looks amazing, unfortunately the price tag is huge.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi , the easy way to upgrade to power edition is just to changeover the rom board complete . plugging in an lcd is easy , as the model 3 boards have a vga out . However making a neat factory look finish will be a pain in the ass , since the replacement monitors will be wide screen . There is an ebay seller selling an lcd fitting kit for these cabs but they are not cheap ( you get what you pay for ). Sega rally 2 is a step 2 game . Daytona 2 is a step 2.1 game . These boardsets are almost identical ( slight video and rom upgrades ) , so SR2 might work on a Daytona 2 boardstack but would also require some wiring hacks to include SR2 's hand brake .

Is it possible to buy the Power Edition ROM boards ready to go with the correct ROM's installed?

Do you have a link to the eBay auction, I searched but couldn't find anything listed.