Thread: Sega Daytona 2 - advice on upgrade, conversion & repairs

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)

Sega Daytona 2 - advice on upgrade, conversion & repairs

Looking at buying a Daytona 2 twin and I'm looking for some help please.

What is involved in upgrading to the Power Edition?

Anyone installed LCD's to replace the CRT's? If so, what's the best screen to buy for easy of installation?

Also is it possible to covert this game to other Sega racers such as SR2 or Outrun 2?

Any leads/contact information on reliable board repairs for this hardware here in Australia?

(Sorry Admin, posted this in the wrong section, please move this thread to its appropriate location)
    Last edited by Pinballer; 8th June 2019 at 07:12 AM.

State
    melbourne
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Quoted
    948 Post(s)
    Can be done but you are looking at big $$$$.Need the right hardware system to dumb the multi hdd into the system.
    For example a recent post in For sale section is a ideal set up which i know someone can assist if need to add your games.
    https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthr...of-Initial-D-5

State
    Truganina, Victoria
    Mentioned
    410 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2862 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinballer View Post
    Any leads/contact information on reliable board repairs for this hardware here in Australia?
    jomac would be my first call

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)

Thanks for the replies so far. Jomac for conversions or just monitors @wiredoug ? Is it possible to convert to Sega Rally 2?

State
    Truganina, Victoria
    Mentioned
    410 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2862 Post(s)
    yes for sega boards .. hes the only reliable repairer i know.

no idea on the sega rally question ask ben on fb

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    I think the Power edition is similar to the GTX edition which is just a change of roms (3 or 4 from memory) on the top board of the CPU stack. Possibly can change to Rally but you most likely need to change over all the support boards also, ie: I/O boards, sound board, etc + possibly the wiring looms also. I'm fairly positive it's not just a matter of swapping over the main game board stack, much more than that. Keep the CRT's if at all possible, if they aren't working correctly it will most likely be the chassis boards that need work. EDIT** Just realised you said Daytona 2 GTX edition which i have on my original Daytona twin is 3 or 4 chips but the Daytona 2 system is a later version entirely so i'm most likely way off the mark.

State
    sa
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    Hi , the easy way to upgrade to power edition is just to changeover the rom board complete . plugging in an lcd is easy , as the model 3 boards have a vga out . However making a neat factory look finish will be a pain in the ass , since the replacement monitors will be wide screen . There is an ebay seller selling an lcd fitting kit for these cabs but they are not cheap ( you get what you pay for ). Sega rally 2 is a step 2 game . Daytona 2 is a step 2.1 game . These boardsets are almost identical ( slight video and rom upgrades ) , so SR2 might work on a Daytona 2 boardstack but would also require some wiring hacks to include SR2 's hand brake .

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)

Thanks very much for the information @tgates and @Yobs . Hope to finalise the arrangements tomorrow and buy this machine. The new version Daytona Championship looks amazing, unfortunately the price tag is huge.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tgates View Post
    Hi , the easy way to upgrade to power edition is just to changeover the rom board complete . plugging in an lcd is easy , as the model 3 boards have a vga out . However making a neat factory look finish will be a pain in the ass , since the replacement monitors will be wide screen . There is an ebay seller selling an lcd fitting kit for these cabs but they are not cheap ( you get what you pay for ). Sega rally 2 is a step 2 game . Daytona 2 is a step 2.1 game . These boardsets are almost identical ( slight video and rom upgrades ) , so SR2 might work on a Daytona 2 boardstack but would also require some wiring hacks to include SR2 's hand brake .
    Is it possible to buy the Power Edition ROM boards ready to go with the correct ROM's installed?

Do you have a link to the eBay auction, I searched but couldn't find anything listed.

State
    sa
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    Yaton 6262 on ebay is a good source for this type of thing , expect to pay $80 to $100 for a full rom board

Thread Information