Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

JVS IO board not powering on. Power inputs appear to be shorted.

zetsurin

Question

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone could give me some guidance, and/or perhaps recommend someone in Melbourne (I'm in Prahran) who might be able to repair it?

Basically I bought a Namco System 357 from Japan and the unit fires up just fine, I see it output an image on the TV, it checks the security dongle, continues to boot. Then after about a minute, it beeps 3 times and reboots. Normally, the assumption would be this is a Yellow Light of Death since this is a PlayStation 3-based board. However from what I have seen, the YLoD tends to happen right on boot.

Investigating further and checking with the multimeter, I found that the pins which are supposed to take in 12V and GND to power the JVS IO board, are actually shorted. My attention originally moved to this board as @lobsterboi on the forums mentioned he sees LEDs light up in this area and sure enough besides the power input are two of them, and neither light up when I hook up power to this board.

Below are some pictures. The connector is the white 2 pin which is surrounded by a metal shroud.

357_1.jpg

357_2.jpg

357_3.jpg

357_4.jpg

Thanks!

4 answers to this question

To anyone reading this from the future, ignore any such discussions on Arcade Otaku forums between people saying it's 12V. It should be FIVE VOLTS fed into this!

Oddly enough, with 5 volts it seems to work. That said, given there's still a short on the 5V line somewhere it will still need repairs.

Yeah, I was reading and looking and it's 5v input not 12v and I was about to go dig for manuals to verify my thoughts then scrolled down and saw your reply.

What short are you seeing? Is it not powering up with 5v supplied to it? If it's not, check ZD1, the surface mount zener diode in the power supply section of that I/O board. If someone put 12v on it then it probably shorted that zener to save the rest of the circuit.

Yeah, I was reading and looking and it's 5v input not 12v and I was about to go dig for manuals to verify my thoughts then scrolled down and saw your reply.

What short are you seeing? Is it not powering up with 5v supplied to it? If it's not, check ZD1, the surface mount zener diode in the power supply section of that I/O board. If someone put 12v on it then it probably shorted that zener to save the rest of the circuit.

Thanks for the reply. It's actually working perfectly as though nothing has gone wrong, which is incredibly odd, as I certainly fed it a diet of 12V when I first hooked it up. I'm puzzled it continues to run fine, because the part that concerns me is that if I do a continuity test between the 5V and GND pins with my multi meter it will beep at me.