Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Powder coating pinball parts

Hi guys,

Just after some opinions regarding powder coating various pinball parts, such as:

•  
  • Side rails,
  • Lock down bar, and the locking assembly
  • Wire habitrails
  • Legs

I want to know how these items last long term. Do they chip easily? do wire habitrails cop a beating from the balls etc?

I have a few pins I'm restoring and am at that point where I need to decide if I go down the powder coat path, or go with the original 'chrome' style finish.

Cheers

Andy

We suggest under advice that generally when people want to powdercoat some new siderails we send them Zinc Seal sets as while powdercoat will adhere to stainless ok a "raw" zinc seal is preferred.

Having said that I've had my own pins lockdown bars powdercoated a good 7 years ago and not a chip to be seen.

Agree with above that powdercoating is a lot tougher than just automotive painting.

Was talking about this the other day with a mate. He was saying if i wanted to change a machine from black to red that the old powder coating would have to come off and that sandblasting it was difficult and thus expensive. He suggested auto paint over the powder coat? What's the opinion there?

• Super Moderator

Wet spray is more expensive than powder coating, close on double and powder coating is more durable.

I took 10 pieces are yesterday and expect to pay about $180 all up. Legs, side rails, hinges, bar and shooter surround.

I'm not sure the cleaning process for powder on powder though, but they have a process to clean the raw legs etc, do should be too much different / add to the overall cost.?

Sent from my CPH1879 using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Just the thread I was looking for, has anyone painted Stern parts as in rails legs etc in 2Pac paint or had them powder coated ?

Can anyone please offer me some insight on their experiences.

Thank you.

- Con