Thread: Has pinball become the old man's Barbie doll

State
    victoria
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1053 Post(s)

Has pinball become the old man's Barbie doll

I just read a post elsewhere of a guy who just bought a game and said he's been busy installing mods and finally he can now start enjoying it. But he's just noticed a shit load of solenoid driven devices do not work on the game.

Wtf I would have thought you'd spend a bit of time playing a new purchase before devoting time in modding. But it looks like I'm mistaken.

I've seen a lot of games modded to the Max these days an am thinking are we using pinball as a thing/release we can dress up, brush and style it's hair etc more so than actually playing it?

Maybe it would be cheaper to buy a Barbie and let the creative juices go wild.

But seriously has modding become over consuming and out of control? I know it can sometimes make games near impossible to play

State
    Melbourne
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Quoted
    662 Post(s)
    People like different aspects of the hobby.

(Cargument).

Some people like cars/pins for their utility. Driving/racing/tournaments.

Others like working on them mechanically.

Others like to modify them.

Just different things you can do with them.

Some of the best players don’t even own a
    single machine! I wouldn’t say that makes them less “in” the hobby than anyone else.

I’m doing home made mods because it gives me a reason to develop skills in something I wouldn’t otherwise have a real world motivation to work on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

State
    nsw
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    443 Post(s)
    I like the competition and social side of them the best but I do like the art and history as well as the designs
    live between the flip and the tilt

State
    victoria
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    286 Post(s)
    Seems like there are different folks for different strokes. Some look out for a game that's restored, others like to restore I guess pricing also has a big play.

State
    Barden Ridge NSW
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1400 Post(s)
    I like modding them but not store bought mods because I get enjoyment out of making the mods as well. To me, the ultimate modded machine is a HomeBrew. I do like repairing them and depending on the machine, playing them but I see some owner's machines and think, simply over done for what it is.
    To me, some pinballs are worth a bit of customization but some just aren't worth it. Put makeup on a pig, it is still a pig.

State
    Ballarat, Victoria
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    768 Post(s)
    I don't have a definitive answer
    I don't usually go for mods, but I am working on my Spiderman at the moment, it has a topper, LED's, new shooter rod, colorDMD, and if there was after market pop bumper caps I would ad them too
    also working on a CFTBL, but it will only get LED's and colorDMD

State
    victoria
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1053 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pop Bumper Pete View Post
    I don't have a definitive answer
    I don't usually go for mods, but I am working on my Spiderman at the moment, it has a topper, LED's, new shooter rod, colorDMD, and if there was after market pop bumper caps I would ad them too
    also working on a CFTBL, but it will only get LED's and colorDMD
    Colordmd on spidey I look at more as a must than a mod. Motion capture stuff with orange dots looks like a lot of orange dots to me. The colour did define what I was looking at and the dots now make sense

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by oldhank View Post
    I like the competition and social side of them the best but I do like the art and history as well as the designs
    OK what have you done with @oldhank? I haven't seen any ransom notes and stuff. Oldhank only posts hugs. Who ever you are stop using his sign in. Although it is nice to see more words and sentences used than simply hugs

State
    nsw
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    443 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinball god View Post
    Colordmd on spidey I look at more as a must than a mod. Motion capture stuff with orange dots looks like a lot of orange dots to me. The colour did define what I was looking at and the dots now make sense

- - - Updated - - -

OK what have you done with @oldhank? I haven't seen any ransom notes and stuff. Oldhank only posts hugs. Who ever you are stop using his sign in. Although it is nice to see more words and sentences used than simply hugs
    Hahaha
    live between the flip and the tilt

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    218 Post(s)
    Mods are mostly a waste of money, take away from the original design and the true purists of this hobby don’t use them for that reason.

State
    New South Wales
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)
    I often get inspired by mods that are for sale and then make my own version, usually for a fraction of the price of a bought one.

Quote Originally Posted by Autosteve View Post
    I like modding them but not store bought mods because I get enjoyment out of making the mods as well. To me, the ultimate modded machine is a HomeBrew. I do like repairing them and depending on the machine, playing them but I see some owner's machines and think, simply over done for what it is.
    To me, some pinballs are worth a bit of customization but some just aren't worth it. Put makeup on a pig, it is still a pig.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information