Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Has pinball become the old man's Barbie doll

I just read a post elsewhere of a guy who just bought a game and said he's been busy installing mods and finally he can now start enjoying it. But he's just noticed a shit load of solenoid driven devices do not work on the game.

Wtf I would have thought you'd spend a bit of time playing a new purchase before devoting time in modding. But it looks like I'm mistaken.

I've seen a lot of games modded to the Max these days an am thinking are we using pinball as a thing/release we can dress up, brush and style it's hair etc more so than actually playing it?

Maybe it would be cheaper to buy a Barbie and let the creative juices go wild.

But seriously has modding become over consuming and out of control? I know it can sometimes make games near impossible to play

People like different aspects of the hobby.

(Cargument).

Some people like cars/pins for their utility. Driving/racing/tournaments.

Others like working on them mechanically.

Others like to modify them.

Just different things you can do with them.

Some of the best players don’t even own a

single machine! I wouldn’t say that makes them less “in” the hobby than anyone else.

I’m doing home made mods because it gives me a reason to develop skills in something I wouldn’t otherwise have a real world motivation to work on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like modding them but not store bought mods because I get enjoyment out of making the mods as well. To me, the ultimate modded machine is a HomeBrew. I do like repairing them and depending on the machine, playing them but I see some owner's machines and think, simply over done for what it is.

To me, some pinballs are worth a bit of customization but some just aren't worth it. Put makeup on a pig, it is still a pig.

I don't have a definitive answer

I don't usually go for mods, but I am working on my Spiderman at the moment, it has a topper, LED's, new shooter rod, colorDMD, and if there was after market pop bumper caps I would ad them too

also working on a CFTBL, but it will only get LED's and colorDMD

I don't usually go for mods, but I am working on my Spiderman at the moment, it has a topper, LED's, new shooter rod, colorDMD, and if there was after market pop bumper caps I would ad them too

Colordmd on spidey I look at more as a must than a mod. Motion capture stuff with orange dots looks like a lot of orange dots to me. The colour did define what I was looking at and the dots now make sense

- - - Updated - - -

I like the competition and social side of them the best but I do like the art and history as well as the designs

OK what have you done with @oldhank? I haven't seen any ransom notes and stuff. Oldhank only posts hugs. Who ever you are stop using his sign in. Although it is nice to see more words and sentences used than simply hugs

Colordmd on spidey I look at more as a must than a mod. Motion capture stuff with orange dots looks like a lot of orange dots to me. The colour did define what I was looking at and the dots now make sense

- - - Updated - - -

OK what have you done with @oldhank? I haven't seen any ransom notes and stuff. Oldhank only posts hugs. Who ever you are stop using his sign in. Although it is nice to see more words and sentences used than simply hugs

Hahaha

I often get inspired by mods that are for sale and then make my own version, usually for a fraction of the price of a bought one.

I like modding them but not store bought mods because I get enjoyment out of making the mods as well. To me, the ultimate modded machine is a HomeBrew. I do like repairing them and depending on the machine, playing them but I see some owner's machines and think, simply over done for what it is.

To me, some pinballs are worth a bit of customization but some just aren't worth it. Put makeup on a pig, it is still a pig.

I only really play games on site and the only thing that annoys me about mods is when a ball gets trapped behind a new toy that has been added to the game that wasn't there from the beginning.

This is the reason most games aren't packed with playfield toys to begin with. Too many things for the ball to get stuck on.

Mods are fine if tastefully done but I have played too many machines covered with mods that don't even flip properly. What's the point?

It's like Harley Davidsons. Some like to shine, add mods and and look at it. Whereas others like to ride it

I was also going to use a motorbike analogy.

I have a Moto Guzzi MkIV Le Mans, the only non standard thing on it is the Staintune pipes. I have a Ducati 1098, standard completely.

I have a Harley Rocker C that is highly customized because it suits the bike and there is so much there i want to improve on.

Same with my pinballs so far. I bought the Deadpool Pro and i am slowly pimping it out. Pinstadiums, mirror blades, topper, shooter handle etc. I'm thinking i can get it as good looking (for me) as a higher end model at a fraction of the cost for an LE.

It sits next to a beautiful Hobbit machine that came with adequate lighting, invisiglass, mirror blades, shaker motor etc standard. I don't think i'll add anything to it at this stage.

For me it's about the machine and what each one seems to need.

What did the ColorDMD cost you Pete? Did you go the LED or LCD?

not sure, But the aussie dollar is only 66c at the moment, so it cost alot

i have LCD in my games, i dont like the look of the LED version

Yep the dollar is shite at the moment. I’ve been umming and arring between LED and LCD for a while now, glad to hear your prefer LCD. I think I’ll go the same when/if the dollar improves.

Yep the dollar is shite at the moment. I’ve been umming and arring between LED and LCD for a while now, glad to hear your prefer LCD. I think I’ll go the same when/if the dollar improves.

Bloody Hell....Is the Dollar that low?

I only paid for ACNC less than 4 weeks ago...

That has dropped 5 cents since then...That's a whopping 9% or $945.00

Holy Crap...Thank God it has only just gone down again....

It was still close to 80 cents 12 months ago when I placed the order...

was sad, now glad...

Has pinball become the old man's Barbie doll

The wholesale rate is more like 69.5c and has dropped only 1c over the last month. But PayPal and credit card companies can screw you

Try Zax. they brought a few in (prolly when the dollar was better), so they may be a bit cheaper than getting from o/seas atm :unsure

• 2 weeks later...