Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

The Hobbit Teething Problems

punkin

Question

Hi all, have a couple of questions on my second hand Hobbit Black Arrow. On start up the JJP machine does a test and it comes up with a switch error that the switch for the plumb bob tilt is stuck open. Tilt seems to function normally but i don't know what i'm looking at so if someone could tell me how to service it that would be great.

Also, and more important, is that the upper left creature to pop up out of the playfield (think it's the goblin) doesn't register when hit, the light stays on even when it's smacked repeatably.

Any ideas on how to fix this as it means that the Beast Mode can't be completed?

Sorry about the basic questions but i'm new to pinball machines and slowly learning.

16 answers to this question

• Super Moderator

There is no magic fix here you will need to pull the glass,lift the playfield ,go into switch test and operate the mech by hand.

Could be a broken wire or the switch not gapped correctly or the switch has come loose.

Best thing is have a look

Thanks mate, so it's a switch? That's the problem i have. I have the big manual and i find it easy to use, i'm just not sure what i should be looking for....hang on you are talking about the minor issue of the tilt switch?

Just wondering more on the creature thing staying up. I can see the manual says there's some mechanisms there. but i don't know what is suppossed to make it think it's hit. Whether it's a switch, solenoid or motor or something....dunno what i'm suppossed to look at.

Just lift the playfield (with the power off) and have a look. You should be able to work out mechanically how it works.

There will be a switch that registers hits. Very common for switches on any pinball to need adjusting ... sometimes it's just a matter of bending the switch a little so the contacts are closer or further apart. Other times you need to adjust it by loosening the screws that hold it there, moving it a bit and tighten the screws again.

Just have a look & maybe you'll work it out, take your time. If you're not sure, don't do anything just look some more until you feel you have an idea on how it works. Youtube is a very good reference too

For those playing along at home @porazio just dropped in to check out the new machine and decided he was going to pull it to bits and check out the problem.

We found the wires to the switch had been jammed and were broken at some stage so we pulled the mech and he soldered the wires back in. Just got my best high score after he left too, so win win.

And again for those interested in the answer i was reading on pinside that the switches register as open and generate an error when they haven't been activated for some time. That explains why the tilt is one that does it if you are gentle with the machines.

Glad it's fixed. When I first got my I.J it did a similar thing with the captive ball switch. Took me ages to finally work out that the diode on the switch was installed in reverse. I don't know if this was a factory error but it caused a switch error at start up.

Reading the 142 page Hobbit owners thread on pinside it's a very common problem which @Koops has solved very well and i believe the factory has or will adopt his fix.

If you look at the date of my original fix post this was waaaaay before black arrows were being built so I’m surprised it was never remediated on the line.

That being said they may have adopted a different fix being routing cables a different direction which would also solve the issue.

As there was very little slack on the original hobbits a washer worked in my case.

I also tweaked the switches on all my beasts so they can be hit from behind with a good hit. It’s tricky to get the switches just right but mines been like that for a while now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah it's not on mine mate, it's a may 16 build.

Obviously should be though. I thought by the way Keith was promoting it they would have adopted it for sure.

ThanksForVerifiingMeTooPunkin

Practicing hard for Bennies Matchplay tomorrow. Slowly picking up my averages on this machine.

pinball5.jpg.0131de3c2977e580eebe17cda7751d39.jpg

I really do think it's making me a better player, at least at managing multiballs. I'm not good enough to follow much about scoring yet, but i am practicing that stuff on the Deadpool.

Need to practice flipper skills as well, i have none.

Practicing hard for Bennies Matchplay tomorrow. Slowly picking up my averages on this machine.

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=149340

I really do think it's making me a better player, at least at managing multiballs. I'm not good enough to follow much about scoring yet, but i am practicing that stuff on the Deadpool.

Need to practice flipper skills as well, i have none.

http://www.deadflip.com/tutorials