Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Gottlieb A-25959 coil alternative

RaoulJuke

Question

i think the coil on our Class of 1812 has died as its getting a ohm reading of 0.2. I havent got a spare lying around but got a bucket of around 20-30 spare Williams/Ballys. Can anyone suggest a model or 2 that might be suitable to be used in its place? Will order a couple of A-25959's with my next order, but hoping i might have something around to get it working, or test that was indeed the issue

7 answers to this question

https://www.flippers.com/coil-resistance.html says 22awg * 445 @ 3.85 ohms, 30 awg * 1225 @ 202 ohms...

Looking through that list at the Williams flipper coils, I think FL-11630 would be closest but there isn't really a good match? The 11629 is closer on the primary winding, but the hold winding is a good deal lower resistance than the A-25959? They also tag the williams and gottlieb with different sizes (Fat vs large) so I don't even know if they'd physically fit?

Seeing as the coil is dead, may as well do an autopsy and find out just how dead?.

First, cut the diodes off after noting which way they go and re-measure each of the windings resistance after all, it may just be a faulty diode.

If a winding is still low, determine which winding and note which terminal the outer side of that winding is soldered to and cut that winding. Now proceed to unwind it off the coil. If you get to a point where the winding is showing signs of burning, chances are you found the short. If you have only unwound less that 10 turns just cut it there and resolder what is left of the winding on it's original terminal.

If it was the thick winding the coil will simply be slightly stronger but the trade off is that winding will heat up slightly quicker.

If you need to unwind a lot of winding to find any damage, you can repair it by sliding on some suitable heatshrink so it insulates again or paint the effected wire with nail polish, allow to dry and simply rewind it back on.

There is nothing special about winding wire. It is simply copper wire with enamel paint on it to insulate it from the windings that sit beside it on the bobbin.

Thanks for the responses - I am actually not completely positive the coil is dead. I removed it from the machine and re-tested it and am getting the below readings. This is based on the coil being upside down to the lugs are at the top

x.......x

[] [] [] = .201 Mohm

x..x

[] [] [] = .197 Mohm

....x..x

[] [] [] = 3.9 Mohm

The "x" marks where the DMM lead is testing between.

As i am getting an appropriate reading between the middle and right lug, is this coil likely ok?

The coil is blowing fuses, yes?. If you can't check with the machine on for some reason check your resistance values with the other flipper coil. Just make sure your are getting your resistance values against the direction of the diodes and not simply getting the resistance value of the diodes themselves.

The coil is blowing fuses, yes?. If you can't check with the machine on for some reason check your resistance values with the other flipper coil. Just make sure your are getting your resistance values against the direction of the diodes and not simply getting the resistance value of the diodes themselves.

Its not blowing fuses from what i can tell - there doesnt appear to be a fuse focusing on just the flippers. All other solenoids are working, including the right flipper - its just this left flipper.

I am getting the "good" (3.9ohm) reading when i test the furthest side of the diode band and middle lug.

Is the coil actually getting power to it. Maybe swap it with the side that is working?

Will do a swap over tonight on it and let you know. Thanks for sticking with me, once again, will update you