Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

DJ's VP cab build

Hi all. I have decide to build a VP table from scratch :D

Been poking around this site, VPForums, VP facebook page and You Tube videos to try and work out what the heck is involved! So I thought I'd create this thread so I can contain all the info in one place, and may serve as future reference material for others.

This will not be a quick build, as finances are tight at best, but I hope to be able to find some bargains along the way and slowly build up the gear required. If I can get 2nd hand I will but I also like things that are shiny and new so lets see how that pans out!

Plan is to build the cabinet from scratch, I believe ply will be better for strength and also feedback systems? If so, what thickness seems best? Unless of course anyone can convince me the benefits of using an existing old pinball cabinet? I'm thinking 40" TV for playfield, but not sure that would fit in a normal pinball machine?

My PC looks like will be this: https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c03832938 with i7-4470 3.4GHz CPU, 8GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, but I'll replace HDD with 500GB SSD. For graphics I'm looking at the GTX1050ti: https://www.computeralliance.com.au/gigabyte-gtx1050ti-4gb-oc-low-profile-pcie-video-card-pn-gv-n105toc-4gl

Does this sound decent enough for VPX on 2 screens at 1080? (not interested in 4k)

I'm battling with size of playfield and cabinet at the moment. I think the lockdown bar will help decide this?

Thanks in advance for those who decide to come along for the ride and offer help, feedback and links to make this dream a reality!

So I had a question regarding 4k playfield TV/monitors. Is it worth it? I assume more pixels = better definition but does that mean the tables themselves need to be in 4k and if so, are there many titles currently or a move towards this spec moving forward?

Will the GTX1050ti card handle a 4k playfield OK?

I would recommend going for a GTX1060 or higher. I've had to replace the graphics card in my VP cab 2 times over the last few years to cope with the better quality tables and newer VP versions. The first cards I had in there I saved money by getting an entry/mid level card, but because of that had to replace them sooner than if I had just bought a higher end card to start with. I recently added the 1060 6GB and it seems pretty good with everything. It is only about $100 more than the 1050ti you are looking at.

I don't have 4k but those who I've spoken to say it does make a big difference. For 4k you'd want as high end a card as you can get to cope with all the new fancy 3d tables coming out.

Noted the 1050 may not cut it for 4k. But am interested to hear from those who have seen the difference of 4k for themselves and feedback if it is worth the extra $ investment to run it.

If using a regular cabinet then a 37" will drop straight in (no routering of the side walls required) 40" will fit in a standard cabinet if you router out the sides of the cab and de-bezel (which you should do anyway). 40" will drop easily into a widebody. can use up to 46" with routered sides, in a widebody.

Existing empty cabinets can be had for not much $$ and are already ply (best for audio-based feedback using exciters) if doing so get a widebody if you can, ie: (wiki dump) it will let you use up to 46"

It will give you a shortcut and the real cabinet and artwork helps. and much easier to source real parts for it. If i was building again i would use a 46" instead of a 40" for the playfield to fill out the cabinet better, having the useable display go as close to your rails as possible should be the goal with not much dead space around it.

if you want to build your own from scratch then Williams widebody plans are available here, taken from a TZ: http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/171-plans-williams-widebody-cabinet-plans/

Thanks @Jed for the info. Whilst it would be quicker to get an empty cab (plus a quick search on AA and ebay yielded no results currently, unless I'm using the wrong terms) I am not sure how I would get it home. At least with building from scratch, then I can get the timber home myself plus have the satisfaction of knowing I built it (and only myself to blame if it breaks!) So I will probably use those plans for my build, thanks for the link.

Does anyone know what thickness of ply is used as it's not state don the plans?

Thanks @Jed for the info. Whilst it would be quicker to get an empty cab (plus a quick search on AA and ebay yielded no results currently, unless I'm using the wrong terms) I am not sure how I would get it home. At least with building from scratch, then I can get the timber home myself plus have the satisfaction of knowing I built it (and only myself to blame if it breaks!) So I will probably use those plans for my build, thanks for the link.

Does anyone know what thickness of ply is used as it's not state don the plans?

I couldn't find any online either, so I fronted up to a local Pinball seller where I used to live, he had 3x empty widebody cabs 2xPopeye 1xJudge Dredd I took the JD it was in excellent condition beautiful artwork, being a biker and a fan of Science Fiction the theme really resonated with me, awesome art on the JD one of my faves of any Pinball. Got him to fit it out with Rails, lockdown bar, coin door, glass, etc.

but yeah making yourself from scratch also good, and it will be a lot easier to fit a screen too, and you get that made-it-yourself satisfaction. If you do go down that route, post your build thread here :)

If using a regular cabinet then a 37" will drop straight in (no routering of the side walls required) 40" will fit in a standard cabinet if you router out the sides of the cab and de-bezel (which you should do anyway)........

I would caution against advising people to de-case, some newer TVs and monitors have no metal frame around the panel - they rely on the case to hold everything together!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Hi all. I have decide to build a VP table from scratch :D

Been poking around this site, VPForums, VP facebook page and You Tube videos to try and work out what the heck is involved! So I thought I'd create this thread so I can contain all the info in one place, and may serve as future reference material for others.

This will not be a quick build, as finances are tight at best, but I hope to be able to find some bargains along the way and slowly build up the gear required. If I can get 2nd hand I will but I also like things that are shiny and new so lets see how that pans out!

Plan is to build the cabinet from scratch, I believe ply will be better for strength and also feedback systems? If so, what thickness seems best? Unless of course anyone can convince me the benefits of using an existing old pinball cabinet? I'm thinking 40" TV for playfield, but not sure that would fit in a normal pinball machine?

My PC looks like will be this: https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c03832938 with i7-4470 3.4GHz CPU, 8GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, but I'll replace HDD with 500GB SSD. For graphics I'm looking at the GTX1050ti: https://www.computeralliance.com.au/gigabyte-gtx1050ti-4gb-oc-low-profile-pcie-video-card-pn-gv-n105toc-4gl

Does this sound decent enough for VPX on 2 screens at 1080? (not interested in 4k)

I'm battling with size of playfield and cabinet at the moment. I think the lockdown bar will help decide this?

Thanks in advance for those who decide to come along for the ride and offer help, feedback and links to make this dream a reality!

If you're looking to recycle an old PC (which IMO is a good way to go) then that dictates that the most powerful video card you can use is a Low Profile Nvidia GTX1050ti. Unless of course you cut the frame of the PC case so a full height card will fit, which is NOT a wise thing to do.

If you are only looking to run 1080 (or maybe 2k) for your Playfield then that's good, as the GTX1050ti will not handle 4K at all well.

The spec of the PC you linked to is a bit overkill for what you're proposing, so unless you're getting one nice and cheap it may be worth checking out something like this:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HP-Elitedesk-8300-Core-i5-3470-3-2GHz-8GB-500GB-W10P-COA/252878953513?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Chuck in a GTX1050ti and an SSD and you're good to go with 1080.

Cabinet size has become a more difficult think of late - as @Jed has already suggested a 39" or 40" can fit into a standard width cab and a 46" is great for a widebody, however those monitor sizes are far less common these days as 43" seems to have taken over for some reason. This means you either go widebody into which a 43" will fit with plenty of room to spare. or you go custom.

If you go with a custom cab you can build it to a width that will specifically fit the monitor/TV you plan to use (WITHOUT de-casing it) so looks right, however you then need to fabricate a custom lockdown bar. This isn't an issue if authenticity doesn't bother you, as you can make one out of timber that will do the job perfectly well, but it's just not the same as having the feel of stainless steel while you are playing......

Whichever way you decide to go, make sure you take your time to research all options.

Cheers, Chris

The spec of the PC you linked to is a bit overkill for what you're proposing, so unless you're getting one nice and cheap it may be worth checking out something like this:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HP-Elitedesk-8300-Core-i5-3470-3-2GHz-8GB-500GB-W10P-COA/252878953513?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Chuck in a GTX1050ti and an SSD and you're good to go with 1080.

If by nice and cheap you mean free then yes :) I have a friend who's office recently did an upgrade to their PCs so they were literally throwing them out. So yeah, plan is to pick that up this weekend and then pop the GPU in it and an SSD and I'm good to go (just need EVERYTHING else now!)

I would caution against advising people to de-case, some newer TVs and monitors have no metal frame around the panel - they rely on the case to hold everything together!!!

Are these the cheaper brand (Chinese) TV's you're referring to ? Pretty much every tv I've used in either Playfield or head unit has been a Sony or a Samsung of varying ages and all were framed. Just another reason NOT to buy those cheap crappy Chinese panels, even though the price is probably the only attractive thing about them!

Brought back the PC from Sydney all wrapped up in towels in my checked luggage and it appears to have survived!

Specs:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]149011[/ATTACH]

Motherboard:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]149012[/ATTACH]

Rear of case:

2034812053_PCback.thumb.jpg.27c21f388b5353e348ea71e5760f14f8.jpg

So do you think that adding the GTX1050ti low profile and an SSD to this case will comfortably run dual screen and DMD in 1080?

445027805_PCspec1.thumb.jpg.b20459715fcaa67492d853f8ec2637af.jpg

1537617759_PCboard.thumb.jpg.46976563d4510d6fe3cc62c71ff39aff.jpg

So do you think that adding the GTX1050ti low profile and an SSD to this case will comfortably run dual screen and DMD in 1080?

Don't run all screens at 1080 - IMO it is a waste of resources! The playfield will be your main point of focus and although there are some really nice hi-res backglasses out there, you won't be paying much attention to them most of the time so why spend precious video card resources on something that you won't notice? Same goes for the DMD - a real DMD is only 128x32 pixels so you don't need to run a DMD monitor at a very high resolution.

My suggestion is to run your Playfield at 1920x1080, but set your Backglass to 1366x768 (or thereabouts) and your DMD to 640x480 and you should find that to be perfectly acceptable running VPX with a GTX1050ti.

Don't run all screens at 1080 - IMO it is a waste of resources! The playfield will be your main point of focus and although there are some really nice hi-res backglasses out there, you won't be paying much attention to them most of the time so why spend precious video card resources on something that you won't notice? Same goes for the DMD - a real DMD is only 128x32 pixels so you don't need to run a DMD monitor at a very high resolution.

My suggestion is to run your Playfield at 1920x1080, but set your Backglass to 1366x768 (or thereabouts) and your DMD to 640x480 and you should find that to be perfectly acceptable running VPX with a GTX1050ti.

I will probably end up getting a PIN2DMD from you at some stage, but I can't quite tell how that connects to PC. Does it need a video output or only USB connection?

The motherboard only has display port output (no hdmi) will that be a problem?

Don't run all screens at 1080 - IMO it is a waste of resources! The playfield will be your main point of focus and although there are some really nice hi-res backglasses out there, you won't be paying much attention to them most of the time so why spend precious video card resources on something that you won't notice?.

I ran with this belief for ages but I found the Stranger Things tables backglass didn't quite fit on the screen but at 1080 it does.

A little side track.... The Harry Potter table that is yet to be completed seems to be more resource hungry than most and I've had to lower my settings to run it (I'm only using a GTX750ti graphics card) and I am getting bad stutter in multiball. I have heard that the version after the one I tested runs smoother though so I'll have to give that a try. I believe my lower spec'd system is coming near the end of what it can keep up with.

I ran with this belief for ages but I found the Stranger Things tables backglass didn't quite fit on the screen but at 1080 it does.

Is it worth it for just one backglass?

Well due to insufficient funds it could be a few weeks/months before I have spare money for the GTX1050ti low profile.

In the meantime, this place looks to be (currently) cheapest online, but which version is the one to go for? Or does anyone have leads on cheaper for brand new?

https://www.computeralliance.com.au/search?search=gtx1050ti%20low

Well due to insufficient funds it could be a few weeks/months before I have spare money for the GTX1050ti low profile.

In the meantime, this place looks to be (currently) cheapest online, but which version is the one to go for? Or does anyone have leads on cheaper for brand new?

https://www.computeralliance.com.au/search?search=gtx1050ti%20low

Nope - that price for a 4Gb GTX1050ti is the best I've seen for quite a while!

• 4 weeks later...

hey djgra79

FYI - I purchased a GTX1050ti low profile a couple of weeks ago and dropped it in a similar spec machine to start a vPin cab build myself. I've been on holidays since getting vpX and a couple of tables running, so haven't been able to extensively test it out. But I'll let you know how it goes if you like

If using a regular cabinet then a 37" will drop straight in (no routering of the side walls required) 40" will fit in a standard cabinet if you router out the sides of the cab and de-bezel (which you should do anyway). 40" will drop easily into a widebody. can use up to 46" with routered sides, in a widebody.

Existing empty cabinets can be had for not much $$ and are already ply (best for audio-based feedback using exciters) if doing so get a widebody if you can, ie: (wiki dump) it will let you use up to 46"

I'm thinking of 40-44" for the main playing field. I think I'll get the TV first so I can build the cab around it (still undecided if building custom cab or using the widebody plans)

My question is around TVs. Is there any specific minimum specs to look for? Prices vary greatly when looking on JB/Good Guys websites at these size ranges, and some brands I've never heard of before. I take it paying more money for a well known branded TV is worth it, or are they all made to same specs at the end of the day?

I'm thinking of 40-44" for the main playing field. I think I'll get the TV first so I can build the cab around it (still undecided if building custom cab or using the widebody plans)

My question is around TVs. Is there any specific minimum specs to look for? Prices vary greatly when looking on JB/Good Guys websites at these size ranges, and some brands I've never heard of before. I take it paying more money for a well known branded TV is worth it, or are they all made to same specs at the end of the day?

Take a look at monitors, rather than TVs. There's a train of thought that monitors are purpose built for video output form a PC so they will do a better job with less lag etc, compared to a TV which has features you don't need as well as image processing which can supposedly induce lag.

If you go with a 43" monitor then you can still use widebody plans (makes it much easier to find a suitable lockdown bar, rather than having one fabricated) knowing there will be plenty of room for the monitor to fit. Pretty sure you'll find at least one model each from LG, Philips, Asus amongst others.

• 8 months later...

Well with impending lockdown I suspect just days away (thanks COVID-19...) I am looking to turn my attention to picking up this project once again.

It seems i've left my run too late and the GTX 1050ti low profile card is now discontinued, however there are a couple 2nd hand kicking around, I assume this shouldn't be an issue?

Or is there a better equivelent card now? As per my previous post with PC pics, I assume only a low profile card will fit in this machine, even with the lid off?