Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Anybody in Brisbane have a Hankin Pinball, help required

raysco

Question

Hi All,

Long shot I know but I am working on an Orbit1 that is driving me insane.

None of the solenoids will work in game or in test (except the flippers).

All fuses are good and I have power at the coils. I can fire them by touching the tab of the controlling transistor to ground so I know the wiring back to the driver board is ok and through the fuse board.

I have repinned the associated connectors and continuity tested the control side loom between the mpu and lamp driver board.

The headers have also been replaced.

This started as an intermittent fault where if I turn it off and on it may come back, however it is now a hard fault.

It looks like they are not being told to fire.

I have swopped the mpu PIAs over no difference, also reseated the game roms and swopped the 74ls154 on the driver board.

The momentary solenoid data on the scope shows 1 line with a good pulse but even in test the rest are pretty poor.

So, back to my request for help.

Anyone local willing to test my boards so I know I'm not going mad :o

Ray

10 answers to this question

Many, many thanks to Travis and the Pinball Shed for letting me test the boards.

3 of the 4 boards are working fine but the sound board is broken.

I bypassed the original wiring for the momentary solenoid drives and the bank select signal (5 wires) and got all my solenoids back. I had already repinned these and con checked them.

After turning it on and off a couple of times and going back into test two of them stopped with blown fuses on the left kicker and the out hole :cry. Working again after replacing the fuses.

I thought I had found the issues within the wiring after bypassing them but the blown fuses have put me back on the back foot.

Also still to try and fault find the sound board

Having proven the boards has certainly been a great help.

It looks like the whole intermittent solenoid issue is the fault of the sound board :o

When I bypass that all solenoids work ok, when the sound board is disconnected all solenoids work ok.

When I plug the sound board in all solenoids will not work.

The momentary solenoids are also connected to the sound board, the wiring diagram is difficult to read but having repinned the connectors they are all double wires however I would not have expected a sound board to have this effect.

The reason for putting this in the post is to assist future Hankin owners for weird faults.

Machine works great with no sound board connected. Will follow up with this....

Last post is not clear exactly on what I was testing.

I jumpered between the mpu and driver board and all working so I fitted the pins one at a time but not conclusive. Eg when I fitted the last of the wires the solenoids stopped but could not recreate it jumpering individual wires.

Disconnecting the audio strobe pin 10 caused both slings to fire on their own.

Disconnecting sound board brought all back to working.

Conclusion, Sound board is causing the fault.

If the diagrams were better it might be a bit easier to trace :(

Has the sound board plugs possibly been replaced or repinned in it's recent past. A possible mistake may have been made in the past & never corrected.

I have repinned them and checked them with the wiring diagram no errors were found.

However I see that the Mpu power plug and the speaker plug are both 4 pin and next to each other, it is conceivable that at some stage this has been plugged in incorrectly.

The machine won't boot in this case and I'm not saying this has happened but it is a possibility. :unsure

I have repinned them and checked them with the wiring diagram no errors were found.

However I see that the Mpu power plug and the speaker plug are both 4 pin and next to each other, it is conceivable that at some stage this has been plugged in incorrectly.

The machine won't boot in this case and I'm not saying this has happened but it is a possibility. :unsure

That happens a lot. Silly design by hankin . Can blow chips

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade