Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Pinball in Toowoomba?

Hashman

This is from the Sited Machines thread.

Toowoomba

- Cube Hotel - RFM, Stern Grand Prix - 1/6/2012

- Herries Street Bowls - WPT - 3/1/2008

- Hooper Centre Arcade - TSPP ($1 a game) - 5/2/2011

- Shamrock Hotel - TSPP - 2/6/2010

- Sunset Bowl - POTC - 8/6/2009

Cheers,

G

Had a few pints and spotted cow yesterday. Noooo pinballs :(

Does anyone know what the first pin to have a cow in it was?

Such a travesty that a pub called the 'Spotted Cow' does not at least have one pin with a cow in it.

Cheers,

G

Does anyone know what the first pin to have a cow in it was?

Such a travesty that a pub called the 'Spotted Cow' does not at least have one pin with a cow in it.

Cheers,

G

Fire had a cow mooing when you pushed the start button. A reference to Mrs O'Leary's cow which supposedly kicked over a lantern and started the Chicago Fire in 1871

Pretty sure that's the first one. I vaguely remember an article somewhere online years ago about cows in pinball. I'll try and chase it up.

Edit: That was easy. http://hem.bredband.net/b257182/Cows&Easter.htm

Looks like I was slightly wrong although Fire did come first.

Quoted from the page:

Having cows appearing in pinball games started as an internal joke for the people at Williams/Bally. The first game to include a cow was The Machine: Bride of Pinbot (see below) and the man responsible

was programmer Brian Eddy (designer of The Shadow, Attack From Mars and Medieval Madness).

On the question why he replied: "Why breathe? Why Eat? Why live without cows in pinball machines?"

The story of the cow comes in many different versions. This is the "truth about the cow" according to Mark Penacho:

"The cow in Fire (gravy) had nothing to do with the cows that appeared all over later on. One person (who shall remain nameless, BRE) started putting

cows in the games he worked on, and eventually people started copying (there's also cow stuff all over his house). It kind of got out of hand after that. The fact that one person at the time (SS) did all the

dot matrix effects for all games did nothing to curb that trend.

I did hear at one time that the Sega people assumed this was some kind of jab at pinball designer Joe Kaminkow (which it wasn't, talk about vanity)."

Edited by RMacauley
Added link and quote

@Hashman

How bizarre. When I saw this thread come up yesterday I assumed it must have been started by the woman I met at Netherworld on Sunday for their 2nd birthday.

Her name escapes me at the moment, far too many beers on Sunday to have retained many details but she was from Toowoomba and is very keen to get a regular tournament scene going. We talked about the pins at Spotted Cow (they’ve been missing from there for about 18 months) as I’d had a chance to play one or two games on them when in Toowoomba for work.

Anyhow she had said that she was thinking for 2019 she might just have to get her act together and host regular meets at her place. I’m sure I can get her name from Jimmy Nails as my mate Mike coached her on Star Wars to achieve the Wizard Pin score so her name should be recorded somewhere.

Edit: Michelle (Chelle)