Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Question about connecting an electric motor to a coil ?

Whitewater

Question

I want to add a home made shaker motor to my Blackrose. Was thinking of connecting it to the coil that shoots the cannon ball so it vibrates when the cannon is fired ? Is there anything I need to watch out for or can I connect the motor directly to the coil ? How do I wire it in, positive motor wire to the coil and the negative motor wire to earth? Are any diodes needed ?

6 answers to this question

Interesting. I can't seem to find any diagrams or pictures of what you are describing.

Oh that's probably just because I imagined it :D

-The transistor set that launches the cannon (coil) probably won't have sufficient capacity to run the coil and the shaker motor together. Good chance of damaging driver board I would think.

-As far as I know BR doesn't support a shaker in the code? ... this would mean relying on coil or flasher firings as you describe, but the signal needs to be obtained from one of these without contributing to current draw (beyond the circuits designed capacity).

-I would advise strongly against connecting a shaker motor in paralel (or in series) with your cannon coil.

-If you connect the shaker as you described then the shaker will run the whole time the games coils are enabled. The other side of your coil from the common power side is a Controlled Ground. The coil Always has power one side, then the transistor completes the path to ground and so the coil fires. Connecting other (ground side) wire of shaker to ground will just make it run constantly, like a shorted transistor would.

-Using a relay (or something like) you could potentially create a basic circuit that can safely control something like the shaker motor. May require a different supply for power than the cannon coil uses. I am not familliar enough with the particular game or how loaded up the coil power circuit is, or which coil circuit the cannon is on. Obviously WPC games like Roadshow have a shaker so I'm sure there would have to be supply capacity there somewhere.

-Probably others would have some ideas. Diversity is great. Two heads are better than one.

-Personally I think shakers just give me more bolts coming loose in the game, that I have to stay on top of and make sure they're all firm.

:)

Done it before

It is not simply connecting to the coil, most shakers run on about 9-12vdc and if you went of a coil you would be pushing 75v

The coil drive is a short pulse that would hardly move the motor so you need a time delay circuit of some description so you can adjust the length of time the shaker runs for from each pulse.

You would be surprised how much difference it makes running the motor between 1-5s

Short of it is start with an Data East or early Stern setup, get a decent 10v from somewhere and use relays to drive the motor.

He who cannot be named did spruke a generic shaker setup but as per usual it died in the arse after much fanfare

Interesting. I can't seem to find any diagrams or pictures of what you are describing.

Look up motor control boards in system 11s.

1966237962_Screenshotfrom2019-05-2411-30-19.png.55df467cfd133f58dde76d799f3ced81.png

The coil is in the relay, the relay switches the motor on and off. This is designed to run in place of one of the 24v coils, not the higher voltage ones.

In your instance I imagine you'd want a longer pulse than just the cannon shot though. Is there a flasher that goes off when the cannon shot is successful or something? Either that or you'd need to program a delay in somehow.

Time delay relay for simplicity. Wire the coil in parallel to this relays trigger. The diode on the launcher coil itself should be OK for this relay as well. Contacts on this unit drive the shaker motor.

Adjust shaker motor run time via the knob on this unit.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GRT8-B1-Mini-Power-Off-Delay-Time-Relay-DIN-Rail-Type-AC-DC-12V-240V-20-55-SG/113757726429?hash=item1a7c7d26dd:g:xvwAAOSw2fpcU-OY