Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGLXXXIX - Game 8 ~ Pac-Land (closes 9-Jun)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1106789779_9.SMK_pacland_31770_wolf106.png.4fa39c91fddda5ef8a99f75f0d329944.png

Definitely not crazy about this one. Don't like the way you "speed up" Pacman. They should have made it one speed. The trampolines are a pain in the :bum:, so I don't see me improving too much on this one.

MGLXXXIX - Game 8 ~ Pac-Land (closes 9-Jun)

I've only ever dropped a credit or two into this in the past and didn't give it much time.

I am enjoying the discovery of all the different things in this game.

Things I like:

Hidden items

The number 7650

The Lucky Pac

Things I dislike:

Double decker busses

Long bodies of water

Someone please, please tell me the correct procedure for the springboards (the third long stretch on round 6 is doing my head in).

I've made it a few times but it was more luck than skill.

I need to know before my joystick is damaged beyond repair.

684308697_ImageUploadedByAussieArcade1558951813.518955.thumb.jpg.3e2d959ae4bf71caea8aae5bb2c3a6bb.jpg

I was curious as to why Namco use the number 7650 as a bonus score.

I did a little research and discovered something called 'Goroawase'.

Goroawase is a form of Japanese wordplay where words are substituted for letters. I have included a chart below to show the word and number substitution.

If you break down 7650 into 7, 6 and 5 you will see the following matches:

7 na

6 mu

5 ko

Together 7, 6 and 5 can be pronounced as na-mu-ko which is how Namco is pronounced in Japanese.

I love learning more about these classic games we play.

170088989_ImageUploadedByAussieArcade1558953107.827503.thumb.jpg.f728f73388f236636d1d9f7f0da0f0b3.jpg

Edited by bigredbird

I was curious as to why Namco use the number 7650 as a bonus score.

I did a little research and discovered something called 'Goroawase'.

Gorowase is a form of Japanese wordplay where words are substituted for letters. I have included a chart below to show the word and number substitution.

If you break down 7650 into 7, 6 and 5 you will see the following matches:

7 na

6 mu

5 ko

Together 7, 6 and 5 can be pronounced as na-mu-ko which is how Namco is pronounced in Japanese.

I love learning more about these classic games we play.

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=148597

Excellent revelation. From memory, you'll also find this bonus score in Pac-mania on eating multiple ghosts and Galaga Arrangement on a non-hit challenge stage. You can learn and play at the same time.

:026:

- - - Updated - - -

Haha. Great photo. bigredbird and littlebigredbird having a laugh.

- - - Updated - - -

Day 4 of 17 ...

Pac-Land, the very different arcade game from Namco ...

mcMxYyM.png

:)

Excellent revelation. From memory, you'll also find this bonus score in Pac-mania on eating multiple ghosts and Galaga Arrangement on a non-hit challenge stage. You can learn and play at the same time.

:)

7650 appears in Namco's Ace Combat game regularly too.

Appearances in Ace Combat

Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War

Oured's population is 7.65 million around the start of the game.[1]

Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War

In VS Mode Stage I, the flag on the island awards 765 points when destroyed.

Ace Combat Infinity

Duplicate emblems from crossovers with other Namco titles, such as "XEVIOUS" and "PROJECT SOUL", award the player with 765 Credits when dropped.

76,500 Credits can show up as a random drop.

765 and multiple variations (e.g. 1,765, 7,650) show up as recurring lucky numbers for Ranking Tournaments.

765 is the Lv.1 price of the IDOLM@STER Aircraft dropped in a Collaboration Event. 765 is also the total machine gun ammo for most of the craft at Lv.5, in particular all of the Attackers and all but one of the Multiroles (the F-15E -CHIHAYA- doesn't increase machine gun ammo until Lv. 6, at which point it is brought up to 765).

Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown

The Round Bonus for completing Dark Blue on subsequent Campaign playthroughs is 765,000 MRP.

The Frequent Flyer achievement requires the player to fly a total of 76,500 kilometers in the campaign.

I've only ever dropped a credit or two into this in the past and didn't give it much time.

I am enjoying the discovery of all the different things in this game.

Things I like:

Hidden items

The number 7650

The Lucky Pac

Things I dislike:

Double decker busses

Long bodies of water

Someone please, please tell me the correct procedure for the springboards (the third long stretch on round 6 is doing my head in).

I've made it a few times but it was more luck than skill.

I need to know before my joystick is damaged beyond repair.

Pressing right pacman will walk, tap right twice & pacman will run and continually tapping pacman will sprint, when sprinting he will also jump higher than just running. So you want to be sprinting up to the springboard then jump as close to the end as possible continue tapping right to maintain height over the water, same with the double decker buses short sprint then jump to clear them.

Some cabinets had buttons / some had Joysticks, for overall control I much prefer the joystick but it's probably easier to clear the water with buttons & once you have tried it with buttons it may make it clearer what is required to maintain height over the water.

That may help a little but it is a frustrating part of the game, on later levels you only have a short run up & there's no room for error.

I have almost had enough of this game due to the third pond jump.

I have practiced it over and over and over again.

@SectionZ I can't see the three speeds you speak of - only walk and run, no sprint.

I will make an offer to anyone in Tasmania or anyone visiting Tasmania.

Come to my house, teach my the ways of the pond and I will make you home made pizzas and pour you beers until I can jump over that damn pond every time.

This offer stands until this game finishes.

----------------------------------------

Edit:

Thanks to @creech77 and @SectionZ for helping me out with this.

I have arranged for something to be sent to creech in Illinois for his help.

Anyone is still welcome for a few beers though!

Edited by bigredbird

@SectionZ I can't see the three speeds you speak of - only walk and run, no sprint.

It's hard to notice but it is there, these pics show the difference in height he jumps when sprinting.

Run1.png.ad3a9eaf705ec4dd962c397d784688ac.png Sprint1.png.5cc2e640c5d9e4d890f9d5808935bacc.png

Run2.png.a43cb5632f9ffe679c5ebf368d8541c8.png Sprint2.png.9b1bddf608f20262ca77f575274143a2.png

In the first image I am up against the post or wall running and the second sprinting & therefore jumping from the same spot.

It's hard to notice but it is there, these pics show the difference in height he jumps when sprinting.

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=148639 https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=148640

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=148641 https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=148642

In the first image I am up against the post or wall running and the second sprinting & therefore jumping from the same spot.

I was unaware if a 3rd speed although it isn't uncommon for me to give an extra few taps before jumping on a springboard. I thought I was just making sure I was going fast but maybe subconsciously I knew there was a slightly faster speed.

@bigredbird, I could never get over that pool on my cab but noticed a little bit of tearing on the screen while playing. I fixed the tearing and then I could get over the pool. The tearing was fixed with a config file change but I can't remember the change. I'd need to have a look and see if I could work it out.

Pessimeister: 27, 520

0005.png.46472b8f5702e68da65715147ca46efc.png

Played this a bit on C64 and Namco's Pacman Museum. I've always found it tricky controls wise and haven't got much further than the early trampoline jumps. I watched Nigel play a couple of credits last week at Pixel Alley though and he showed me like bigredbird has demonstrated, that there's heaps of secrets in the game. Hopefully I'll get time to try some more.