Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

What retro stuff did you add to your stash this week?

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a grin from ear to ear today thanks to the awesome efforts of @darkjedi

I've now added these to my collection, all tested and fully operational.[emoji106] [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16].

They all arrived in one piece thanks to great packing.

Cheers Trev.[emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]db510988ae1f4edae9a4c1cba7c7f6ff.jpgf1e0d2b3d6ba903395e61f97e84a681d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Woohoo! All the goodies got there safely!

Hope you didn’t mind death by sticky tape. I find it cathartic:D

The box nearly gave the old girl in the post office a heart attack .[emoji16] I'm a firm believer in that you can't over pack things.

Thanks so much for all your efforts and the extras.

[emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Cheers Trev

The box nearly gave the old girl in the post office a heart attack .[emoji16] I'm a firm believer in that you can't over pack things.

Thanks so much for all your efforts and the extras.

[emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Cheers Trev

Did he send any snickers bars as well?

That Amiga, nice!

What's the best way to obtain/play games on the Amiga 500? Can't be arsed trying to source originals, guessing a usb device is the go? I don't want to sacrifice the internal floppy drive though. Also, are the Amiga 500 internal floppy drives normally a little noisy?

That Amiga, nice!

What's the best way to obtain/play games on the Amiga 500? Can't be arsed trying to source originals, guessing a usb device is the go? I don't want to sacrifice the internal floppy drive though. Also, are the Amiga 500 internal floppy drives normally a little noisy?

You can file away a little of the case lip at the rear - it's pretty invisible as i'm talking about the stem of the upside-down T of the lower body that fits into the inverted U of the lid. Feed the drive data cable and power cable out and leave the gotek on top of the Amiga is what i did. Worked better with a small extension for the 4-pin power cable. Then again, the case of mine was already a little cracked and pretty yellow, and not a museum piece to begin with.

Or you can get one of the external<>internal mods. That let's you use the gotek as an external drive with one of the external drive cables for it. Has a toggle switch that exchanges DF0 with DF1, i think. I'm not using it, don't really know, but Google can help :)

For the firmware on mine I used the new flashfloppy free firmware, a peizo speaker and one of the DIYmore OLED displays (which are now supported, though i did have to add a 3sec init delay in the config file to get the display working). The speaker doesn't sound right, don't kid yourself, but it's pretty cool all the same.

Initially i was planning to use the gotek to copy adf's to physical floppies, but no matter which combination of internal/external i tried, i couldn't get some games to work. Some worked fine though. Understanding that an Amiga internal drive is the same as an external one minus the other bits in the external housing, i tried simply replacing the drive with a gotek in each instance. Flashfloppy updates are coming at about one a month atm, so maybe one day, though TBH I'm not too fussed :)

Edited by buttersoft

The odds of it being a legit silver label, and the parts inside it being original are pretty slim as it is. Fully working machine > faulty one!

Not to mention that "common" graphical faults are just caused by the VIC-II or PLA or one of the other components (used in every C64 from the original through until the C64c!) being cheap shite...

Picked up a C64 Silver Label last week for $100. Has some issues with graphics, and was tempted to fix. However, after some research, found that its common on the Silver Label model, and changing chips will devalue it.
Could we see some pics please. I can't say I've seen one before.

Cheers Trev

Could we see some pics please. I can't say I've seen one before.

Cheers Trev

I'll grab some pics tonight and post.

- - - Updated - - -

The odds of it being a legit silver label, and the parts inside it being original are pretty slim as it is. Fully working machine > faulty one!

Not to mention that "common" graphical faults are just caused by the VIC-II or PLA or one of the other components (used in every C64 from the original through until the C64c!) being cheap shite...

The chips do have 1982 date on them, as per the following thread:

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?34113-Commodore-64-Silver-Labels

Hence the reason, i dont want to muck around with it.

I'll take some photos and post.

• Administrators
Picked up a C64 Silver Label last week for $100. Has some issues with graphics, and was tempted to fix. However, after some research, found that its common on the Silver Label model, and changing chips will devalue it.

If you're so worried about its value keep the original IC's and sell it with them. I don't see any value in owning any vintage computer not working.

I'm one of the weird few who prefer newer C64s, from a useability standpoint anyhow. Newer ones have heatsinks, cleaner video/audio and tend to be more reliable. My fav is the middle run of c64c, they tend to be the ones with newer case but older keyboard. Think the power led is an indicator too, with the older ones still being red but shifting to green on newer models. The mid c64c still has the first rev sid chip with all the benefits of the newer design.

• Administrators
I'm one of the weird few who prefer newer C64s, from a useability standpoint anyhow. Newer ones have heatsinks, cleaner video/audio and tend to be more reliable. My fav is the middle run of c64c, they tend to be the ones with newer case but older keyboard. Think the power led is an indicator too, with the older ones still being red but shifting to green on newer models. The mid c64c still has the first rev sid chip with all the benefits of the newer design.

More comfortable keyboard also.

Breadbin for me, purely from a nostalgic point of view.

The best bit is you can swap the keyboards over without any hassle :D

When I say newer keyboard, I'm referring to the printing on the keys. There's 3 main types, the brown key breadbin, c64c with beige keys and older print, and c64c with beige keys and newer print. My fav c64c has the beige keys with older print and red power led as opposed to green.