Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

gottlieb lawman 2 player em 1971

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glass is off, the PF is on a rotisserie while I work on it

yep im seeing it here all the time cos i have a shocking habit of leaving playfields half done for ages. PL (pinball life) marked ones are worse that PRW ( marco) but they both do it.

research and snooping around online suggests its relate to ozone cracking in the rubber and for some reason it only happens when they are 'left out'.. its not such an issues with the glass on

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozone_cracking

yep im seeing it here all the time cos i have a shocking habit of leaving playfields half done for ages. PL (pinball life) marked ones are worse that PRW ( marco) but they both do it.

research and snooping around online suggests its relate to ozone cracking in the rubber and for some reason it only happens when they are 'left out'.. its not such an issues with the glass on

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozone_cracking

Thanks Doug, I wasn't aware of this. I thought they just cracked due to age.

I got these from PBR so just wondering if they have changed their suppliers and they aren't using those preventative additives mentioned in the Wikipedia article?

Thanks Doug, I wasn't aware of this. I thought they just cracked due to age.

I got these from PBR so just wondering if they have changed their suppliers and they aren't using those preventative additives mentioned in the Wikipedia article?

look real close at them .. see if they say PL ?

Shit, I have only seen rubbers perish like that over many years. I have my rubbers just sitting in open containers all be it in a set of drawers but still, very open to the atmosphere and some of those are a couple of years old.

They still look and perform like brand new rubbers

I do remember there was a large pinball supplier in NSW at one time that was trying to cover such rubbers with Talc to cover the cracks but hey, I always stretch them before I buy and had to find another supplier.

The rubber I took the pic of was a spare that they gave me, it looks fine, no paint etc, but has been kept in a sealed plastic bag.

Looks like I will have to cough up $20 for another set and only put them on when I can put them under glass.

@Autosteve, the ones I got from you a few months ago are just sitting in a box at home and look fine, very strange.

The rubber I took the pic of was a spare that they gave me, they look fine, no paint etc, but has been kept in a sealed plastic bag.

Looks like I will have to cough up $20 for another set and only put them on when I can put them under glass.

@Autosteve, the one I got from you a few months ago are just sitting in a box at home and look fine, very strange.

Yer, after reading this I went in and looked at that same batch of rubbers I gave you and illawarra_steelers some of and just sorted into my collection. Not a mark on them either.

About two weeks ago I undid the rubber from that same batch, (those big pinball rubbers I never have a need for), that I told you and Illawarra I use only to hold the batteries in place on my farm quad bikes.

That rubber has been holding that quad battery in place from about 4 weeks before I gave you guys some of them and it had no signs of cracking either.

It sits in the open, well under the seat but quite open to the elements.

I got those rubbers in a "party pack" from PSPA..

http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/rubbers/rub-mix200.html

only noticed the white ones doing it and it seems only under tension.

I hope it isn't a taste of things to come mate. That party pack I got has been an asset to me.

It had so many rubbers, some I really have no idea what machines ever used them and more yellow flipper rubbers than I know what to do with but outstanding value none the less.

Hell I use rubbers from that pack for what I said, holding quad bike batteries in place to using some for vibration insulating parts on projects.

I hope you get them back in stock. Still need to buy a party pack of pinball bolts and screws again, not only for pinballs but projects.

Cabinet based coat all done now

1686878359_2017-10-2911_36_45.thumb.jpg.105f38a420304a99706127de1d15cac8.jpg

Tried to do the webbing but we couldn't get it to go right in our tests, so I will have to look for an alternative.

I remember talking to a few guys at Pinfest and they used the webbing/marble effect from a spray can, so I will look into that.

I found this one at Bunnings, might be good enough

https://www.bunnings.com.au/dulux-duramax-300g-marble-black-effect_p1400867

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to doing the webbing on the cabinet today.

I decided to use a spray can of Dulux dura max marble effect black from Bunnings.

388115185_2017-11-0915_50_51.thumb.jpg.cf4aabebf830ed2595963f00712c2177.jpg

I did a few test runs to get used to it first.

Strange stuff, comes out like spider web and floats around then grabs onto the surface.

Before:

17616123_2017-11-0915_55_11.thumb.jpg.cab5249bf6de246c3a778f6ca05461a1.jpg

After:

1848557611_2017-11-0915_57_17.thumb.jpg.f9b5730bacdea8db27906fd2e1119e79.jpg

First time doing this and I'm happy with the result, now to work on the stencils :)

I have finished the head box stencils and gave them a test run, not too bad. This is without weights to hold down the edges so the finished job will be a sharper.

1750004535_2017-11-1016_01_00.thumb.jpg.52e12ec52e7b42725029cfbcc4dc185f.jpg

The original:

back_box.jpg.4849d734673a9bfe9d42394f104aefff.jpg

I did managed to get a partial pattern from the head box when I sanded it, so I just had to fill in a few gaps so I think I'm pretty close.

The colours look pretty good although the brown could be a bit darker, but I found it very hard to get any sort of brown in acrylic spray cans, so it will have to do.

A quick update.

I did finish the cabinet stencils and was lucky enough to again get a partial pattern from the old cabinet. Again, the pattern was different to the ones I have seen on the net, so I just followed what I could. I have also now finished the painting, here's the final result.

124718399_2017-11-1815_26_52.thumb.jpg.883fef70ec9b7372b8cdb2ab2d9f3035.jpg

The picture quality not real good, looks better in person, like most things.

I am now moving all the hardware from the old cabinet to the new one and I am finding that they don't match. I had to get the saw out to fit in the original lockdown bar mech as it different from the later designs. Also, the brackets to hold up the playfield are in different place and are different, hopefully I have installed them correctly otherwise the PF might not sit properly, anyway time will tell.

Also, if anyone wants the old cabinet, its yours for free. I have nowhere to put it.