Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Star wars the next Stern Table?

Sbaird

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Star wars the next Stern Table?

Who wants to open a timezone here in Melbourne with me :)

Looks like not all machines have the sticking out tournament button?

78026666d8702e9659b62f62143ef1a2.jpg

That one seems to be missing a tournament button all together? Maybe they forgot in production and just stuck one on later?

Been happening since the 90s and maybe earlier... We used to play the prototypes at Bourke St Timezone..

Oh yes the good old days :) the 80's in Melbourne was great and timezone in Bourke street before the footy in the 90's at the G watching the mighty Blues great times.

Premium does look great but as we no it's not all about looks [emoji13]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are the LE's being supplied with sterns anti reflective glass?
Lol. Have you learnt anything?

Edit: the timezone in surfers is the biggest in the southern hemisphere. Locals are very very lucky. Not only do they get all the new pins, they are also able to play them super cheap compared to everywhere else.

Edited by Ryza

Looks like not all machines have the sticking out tournament button?

That one seems to be missing a tournament button all together? Maybe they forgot in production and just stuck one on later?

Aren't US machines not allowed to have a tournament button? Gambling regulations or some such?

My understanding is the Yanks don't get them as standard, not sure why though.

But us Aussies have always got them as standard, but if it is going to protrude like that I don't want one. Don't use it anyway, I do like that it filled the hole though. :laugh:

My understanding is the Yanks don't get them as standard, not sure why though.

But us Aussies have always got them as standard, but if it is going to protrude like that I don't want one. Don't use it anyway, I do like that it filled the hole though. :laugh:

Someone here has a good idea of using the normal start button as easy mode (5 ball etc) and tournie be setup for your own personal settings. This was kids etc get an easy game where as us pin people get a challenging one.

Just on the topic of Time zone and arcades, which would be the biggest in the country? TZ at the goldy is huge, and would imagine not to many that size Aus wide.
Yep TZ Surfers and Coolangatta are huge, I guess they can afford simply by the amount to traffic from holiday makers. The TZ near my work only has 1 pinnie and you don't the special deal they have up on the Gold Coast of 30 games for $20 (specifically for the pinnies).

When I was at Coolangatta, I couldn't believe the number of kids running up to machines, swiping their cards but then not knowing how to start the game or thinking they they only get 1 ball. Local kids in the know could do quite well out it [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk

Haha well just for you mate I put another 20 or so games on it today. I played all the other Sterns there too (SM, IM, ACDC, WD, AS and GB) and I kept coming back to Star Wars. This is by far my favourite Stern pin. I normally prefer games that are stop start like TAF and TZ but this has really good flow. Only thing I didn't like was the kick out at the scoop comes out FAST, and sometimes STDM. Based on all the negative hype on Pinside and my few games on a pro at the Brisbane Masters I didn't really think I would like it as much as I did. When code is complete I think this will be be a really good game.

Haha well just for you mate I put another 20 or so games on it today. I played all the other Sterns there too (SM, IM, ACDC, WD, AS and GB) and I kept coming back to Star Wars. This is by far my favourite Stern pin. I normally prefer games that are stop start like TAF and TZ but this has really good flow. Only thing I didn't like was the kick out at the scoop comes out FAST, and sometimes STDM. Based on all the negative hype on Pinside and my few games on a pro at the Brisbane Masters I didn't really think I would like it as much as I did. When code is complete I think this will be be a really good game.

Sounds like you where at coolangatta?

Sent from my T-Hub2 using Aussie Arcade mobile app

This is a SR trait that I enjoy, So many of his games will deliberately launch the ball back at you, whether its a tight loop or a kickback, this is a feature that puts players on edge, When a game is correctly dialled in the silver ball is usually able to be kept in play.

Looking forward to trying this one.

Okay review time. Why does this feel so daunting , hmm perhaps because Star Wars ain't like any other pin you have played before.

However before I can continue with my thoughts and impressions, just want to give a shout out to Timezone Gold Coast for their continued support of our little hobby.

Headed to Cooly Timezone Thursday afternoon as it was a public holiday on the GC Friday and was pleasantly surprised to see a brand new premium Star Wars in the lineup. Seriously these guys don't have to go to the trouble of air freighting these games over for us, so from all the Qld pinheads I say thanks to all Time Zone team.

Okay on with the show...

Star Wars is a tough table to review, after 30+ games (honestly lost count over the three sessions i played on it, all the games seemed to blur together) I'm still not sure exactly how to some up the experience, which is not usually the case with new games for me. So I'm going to break everything down and see what conclusion we can draw.

First starting with the artwork. For those out there that still judging the game from photos only, forget it, the game looks a hundred times better in person. No its not Ghost Busters or Aerosmith, with ground up hand drawn art that is for a better word ART. However in person the entire package really comes together, the playfield images work well, although the sheer number of inserts do cut off some images. The art looks much more organic in person, looking at photos, the realistic style of the art work, makes it look like a photoshop collage, like Sterns of old. This is really not the case, the images do float around a bit and it is obvious that multiple artists where involved in the process but overall I think most people, would conclude its a good looking machine. The only point of contention, is the side art, the images on either side of the cabinet are so disjointed from one another it is almost jarring. I think it would of been much better to carry the Hoth snowscape across both side of the cabinet, as these tones, are much better suited to the play field colours. Its a small point but I think if the cabinet had been all Hoth imagery and tones it would make the game shine in this department. Final point on art. I continued to be impressed with Sterns integration of the LCD, size and layout. Retaining a traditional translite with small LCD, just works in my opinion, the look is really growing on me, it just looks like a modern pinball should look.

Keeping in the art theme, I will move onto the LCD animations and clips. Again if your only take on this is seeing the early streams by deadflip and the like, you are going to be pleasantly surprised. The resolution is much higher quality in person, I didn't see any of the animation glitches that where apparent in early streams. The clips are short and sweet and represent some iconic moments from all three films. Much like Batman I can see some significant additions to these clips being integrated with future code updates. Of particular note are the extra ball , ball save and match feature animations. When these are running you get a sense of what might be possible with further code as they are really top notch and draw you in to the SW universe. It must be said when playing the game you won't have much time to look at the screen or animations, they really there to keep you amused while you waiting for another player to drain their ball :). It wasn't till game 20 or so that I actually felt comfortable enough to start looking at the screen as an information device. When I did, I was really surprised at how much info was present. At anytime you have

- Score

- Number of Tie Fighters destroyed.

- Current mode objectives x 2

- Count down value on multiple hurry ups.

- Mode progression including which shot to hit.

- If not in mode info such as how to start Hyperdrive or pop bumper awards

- Multiple value and wether it is locked on or not.

A bit of advice once I started to really examine the LCD when a had a ball cradled, during modes, the whole game came together much more. There are some serious issues with how info is presented on the playfield (Ill get to that) so learning what was required via the LCD makes a huge difference. After you have played a couple of games, start to check the LCD when possible, it will help immensely.

On LCDs the mini playfield LCD seems way under utilised. I think the issue here is that mode stacking. If the game only had single modes in play then this screen could be used more effectively to display current objectives etc... However with multiple modes in play it wouldn't work. Overall its is not of great importance and might be integrated better at a latter stage. Also I wonder if there is the processing power in the game or the quality of the LCD itself would allow for more complex animations or clips to be shown on the small screen, for now it just feels kinda of blah...

Shots and geometry. For game that has been shitted on for being stripped down (Yes it does look rather barren), there are a hell of alot of tight shots on the playfield.

The left had top is particularly tight with the two horse shoe entrances, Endor ramp and left orbit. The Death Star Shot is tough, much tougher then the left horse shoe entrance (Hoth modes). These tight shots result in alot of brick hits, and they really throw you. This does not play like a traditional Steve Ritchie game off the bat. Over time, the flow does start coming through, and you can backhand both ramps with ease. Getting a combo flow on the ramps feels clean, but nothing as satisfying as combo ramps on Aerosmith for example. I can't say for certain as I only put on a few games on a Pro at Brissie Masters, but if you are a pure player, I think the Pro will be the way to go here. The fork ramp to the death Star creates some clumsiness to the shots, rejects and bounce backs when entering the left hand side of the horse show cleanly. And while the Hyperdrive is a cool toy, the fact that it does not really interact with balls in play, will wear off after a while. The Pro with the plastic ramps and cleaner entrances, seemed more traditional Steve style. When I played the pro the couple of times, I straight away felt GOT, ACDC , SM in the machines DNA. The premium was quite a different experience. Its hard to put exactly in words, so its just something everyone will have to experience themselves and draw their own conclusions. However if you are going to spend the money on this machine, and you not a "only buy premium or LE guy" I think do yourself a favour and take the time to play the Pro and Premium, Im not going to go as far as saying this is going to be like game of thrones where the majority of people rate the Pro as the best version of the game. However I think the Pro might end up being the better player and could offer much better bang for the buck. Trying to think what else to say on the geometry. The layout itself will seem familiar, as it is a pretty standard fan. Although at first glance it might look like you could superimpose AC/DC over the layout, much like the comparisons between Kiss and Aerosmith, once you start shooting, the games play significantly different. The addition of the horse shoe is really great, and unique in modern games, it brings some fresh feel to the play. After getting over the initial tight shots and clunky feel, I found myself warming to the shots and layout, although again I think this would be much more so with a pro then the premium Le.

As many have already mentioned the game does shoot really fast. The pops are almost non existent, as the orbits are tough shots and not used as frequently as other games. The one major negative for me, is the plunge. It just feels really weak the way the ball enters the playfield, it is so wild and will drain frequently, only to have a second instant drain off the ball save. When things like this happen especially when you are paying $2 a game (Lucky not for us Timezone players) it is little things like this that can leave a really bad taste and might wreck your total enjoyment of the game. On costs, I am warning you now, be prepared to sink some serious coin into this game onsite if you want to get any feel for the machine. Yes Ghost busters ate your money up, but at least it had multiple generous ballsaves. Star Wars will kick your ass for the first 20+ games and I am a solid player. This table geometry and speed makes it brutal until you get a grove on. Probably tougher then AC/DC pro because of the plunge shot and Death Star shot. Unless your operator has a super low replay value or high match frequency. Be prepared to spend $20+ on your first session or two and that aint going to get you much time at the flippers, you have been warned :)

If it seems like I have been rambling on its for one reason, I have been avoiding the final part of this review, the rules and code. F..K me where do I start, okay deep breath... First I will say I'm a rule guys, I play comp pinball and 8 times out of 10 a beat players not because I can hit shots (my aim is average at best) but I know what to hit and when to hit it. I can follow a table pretty while even without looking at rules or watching tutorials. Im the sort of player that worries about what house to bring into hand of the king in Game of Thrones, not how to get there. I'm saying all these things to warn you, this game is just at a f..ken different level. Its not even like you could begin to understand what the go is at any stage unless you make it a priority. So here some helpful tips before we continue, follow them and your games are going to be much more enjoyable earlier on and you won't be wondering what the hell am I doing. Please note this is not a cheat sheet on how to play the game, I still have no flaming idea on even a fraction of the code, these are pointers to help you come to terms with the sheer overwhelming experience of first stepping up to the game.

Tips so you don't go what the F...K

1. Don't worry about which character to select, just pick Luke he is balanced and give you nice scores for hitting stands (you going to hit a lot) once you feel comfortable with the game look at the other characters but without going into to much detail, they only there to help with seeing different aspects of the game.

2. Dont worry about the multipliers, I mean seriously don't worry about the multipliers. The multipliers are going to be shown on the play field before you plunge, as three flashing red arrows. If you are worried about them at this stage, line them up with the left ramp , left loop entrance and right ramp , these are going to be you most frequent shots, once you plunge they will remain locked in so you can set and forget. Multipliers are going to be important but for now set on these three shots and forget, trust me, you are going to drain way to many balls worry about multipliers at this stage.

3. On the plunge select either light death star mode or Tatoine mode, then plunge away. These two are the hardest modes to activate as they are tough shots that need to be hit three times to activate the mode ladder. Endor and Hoth you will activate fine by just playing yourself. Once you have selected either just plunge away you will get the reward. If you are on your second or third ball and have these two mode ladders activated, I would suggest going for Hyperdrive if it is an option, selecting this off the plunge will award a Hyperdrive hurry up, you then only have to hit the death star shot after the plunge to start Hyperdrive multi ball. If Hyperdrive is not an option go destroy 5 tie fighters. I'm not going to go into tie fighter multi ball now, just trust me this is the fourth best option :)

4. Once you have plunged off, the easiest way to get a feel for the game is to, hit the left ramp three times and start Endor modes. Yes I know you just selected Death Star Modes or Tatonie off your skill shot but trust me, the ramps are the two easy shots in this game, hitting the left ramp three times, is a walk in the park, and the easiest way to get into modes off the bat. Also it does really matter which mode ladder you select as most modes are playable from any ladder WTF I know makes no sense.

5. Anyway now that you have started Endor modes. Depending on your character you might have the option to stack one or more modes at once. For the love of god don't be an idiot like me and think two modes for the price of one hell yeah. Right now this is about learning the game. Go one mode it does not matter which because what comes next is key.

6. Once you have selected a mode, read the mode description, get it clear in your head, read it again, begin.

7. Trap up if possible, read the mode description on the LCD again. Why am I saying this because every f,,ken light on the play field will be blinking so you really won't have any idea of what you meant to be doing. Ignore all the lights and all the distractions, do exactly what the game is telling you on the instructions before mode start and LCD. Ignore all other messages. If the mode says hit loops then orbit, do this, it will tell you on the screen how many loops you need, before orbit. If your mode is a hurry up don't try and rush, take your time and learn the mode, that is the key at this point.

8. Once you have successfully completed one mode. Do the same thing again then again then again.

9. By following the above I can't guarantee you high scores but I can assure you you will feel like you playing pinball, not like you have just been dumped into a sea of flashing lights with no f..k idea what to do, and end up just walking away.

10. This game requires you to tune out so many destractions on the play field, Multipliers, Tie Fighters, Hydperdrives , random hurry ups. If you start by playing put one mode at a time. Reading the LCD instructions, you will start to feel like you are playing pinball. Best of all the modes start making sense, the animations start making sense and the world of Star Wars really opens up.

Once you have got a feel for the above, the game becomes enjoyable and you can begin to discover some of the other multiple nuances the code offers.

You have no idea how hard it was to just write the above and not get side tracked with a million other points tips, suggestions and this in itself is the biggest let down in Star Wars. The game is so damm complicated, it is so geared towards competitive players, that it all but destroys the essences of playing pinball, and all but wastes what is perhaps the greatest theme today.

I say almost because if you can resist the ADHD mentality to hit every flashing shot. If you can slow yourself down, and take the game step by step. If you can focus on a single mode, just like you do in any other game. If you can ignore the 6+ inserts all flashing at you in a different colour, and just do what you the LCD tells you and watch the animations, then it is actually a really fun experience with really fun modes, that make sense that draw you in that tell the SW story. However those are a hell of a lot of ifs.

Basically with Star Wars, Stern has jumped the shark with code. This is not Keith Johnson, a master story teller who can take the most inexperienced player and lead them through a magical world, while still dropping tons of hidden gems for those willing to spend the time to discover them. This is Dwight on acid overload, throughing everything and then some all at once in no order, or priority. This is 8 RGB colour inserts having a rainbow epileptic fit, well you trying to figure out if the game is spelling morse code or telling you which shot to hit. Basically it is a travesty to the integrity of pinball being a game of fun with two flippers and a ball. It expects far to much from the player, without giving them any guidance on how to make sense of it all. It is such a shame because what is there is actually really really good, its just so poorly presented to the player that 90% of the audience will never experience it.

While that my two cents. Sorry if it is a disjointed review that leaves you with less idea of the game then before you started reading it. Go play some Star Wars and then you will understand why its just so hard to sum up.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep TZ Surfers and Coolangatta are huge, I guess they can afford simply by the amount to traffic from holiday makers. The TZ near my work only has 1 pinnie and you don't the special deal they have up on the Gold Coast of 30 games for $20 (specifically for the pinnies).

When I was at Coolangatta, I couldn't believe the number of kids running up to machines, swiping their cards but then not knowing how to start the game or thinking they they only get 1 ball. Local kids in the know could do quite well out it [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk

Not Just the kids, the number of adults, that I have to say, you got to press the start button to :) Don't always tell them when they get a free match feature and walk away ..... :)

For anybody who's interested, there are now 2 shiny new Star Wars pros on location in Sydney ready to play at the Lansdowne Hotel and City Heroes

Both venues are open very late -

LANSDOWNE HOTEL - 2 City Road Chippendale (opposite Broadway Shopping center)

Open from 12pm -3am daily (except Sunday when they close at midnight)

CITY HEROES - 505 George Street, Sydney (Event Cinema’s building)

Open from 9am-4am Daily