Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

do death saves damage your machine?

Death saves, rage tilts etc are all above and beyond what is called for IMHO

We have several regulars ranked very high in the country that I play beside regularly and it has come to the point where you need to check the rubbers to see how close they are to falling off the leg or that they are already 80% off the rubber. Why do the same people think that this is ok to do week in week out?

Why when following one of these players do you have to put a timer on to wait for the plumb bob to settle down?

And why don't they get penalised for what they do?

I lost a game against 4 players 2 weeks back and the player in front tilted after the ball was lost on balls 2 & 3.

I was next player and my automatic skill shot on balls 2 & 3 playing Star Wars Next Gen? The one with the T launch handle. After waiting I missed the shot on screen having not had the chance to get the skill shot by acting quickly. I was Pissed off. I lost by less that 1 skill shot of which the player before me picked up on balls 2 & 3 because the player in front of them was not a F*#CKIN PRICK.

You guys should face a ban of a few weeks. And if you do that at my place then stuff not getting invited again?

You can F*#K off right then and there. I already know of people who used to have events at home but won't anymore because of people who are narrow minded and ignorant of decency and general right and wrong.

It's the old incorrectly named COMMON SENSE....What else can we call it?

Over this already...

do death saves damage your machine?

The “abuse” the machine suffers is not much different than trying to stop a ball rolling sdtm. If I’ve got 2 warnings on my machine and a big bonus, I won’t do it. No warnings and that baby is moving 4 foot sideways

Of course I won’t do this on anyone’s machine, however my pins are fair game

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Yer, It's a tough one but you need to remember, these tilts were originally factory fitted on pinballs to stop exactly what you are saying. How about getting on to Stern and ask for the Tournament mode to not feature this delay tilt strike feature?. Modding the code is not hard especially these days with USB uploading of the code.

Personally I think a feature that effects the way a machine tilts should have had an owner menu GUI adjustment On or Off controlling it but I can only assume Sterns do not.

Get on to them and get this oversight taken care of I say. Surely other World pinball tournaments are being frustrated by this exact problem.

Drawing rings on the ground will go some way but it really isn't a proper answer to the problem in tournaments is it?.

Not certain but I think I heard that latest sterns now allow the tilt debounce timeout to be adjusted.

I can't draw on the floor at the bowling alley Lol ... I will probably just use masking tape either side of and behind each of the front legs. Allowing half inch or so of "grace". It will take like 30sec per machine while laying down the demarcation lines. It's all good ;)

Death save on location, definitely.

Death save at home, hell yeah (I've put B/W leg brackets on all my machines to strengthen corners)

Death save at friend's houses, only with Permission.

Most post 2000 sterns are very easy to death save, Playboy, NBA, Ironman, BM66, Kiss, Deadpoo, Beatles etc.

Can't death save on XMENLE (flippers offset to the left) or TWDLE ( small lip just before trough that changes angle of ball roll as it exits)

Personally I'm a big fan of the death save and have influenced a few locals to get on board. You only live once.

Do what you want to your own machines but to say you wouldn't do it without permission on your friends machines but one on site is open slather is showing no respect to the owner of the machines on site.

The opinion is death saves may not damage machines but it certainly discourages owners to lend them to big competitions. I know this from personal experience.

If everyone wants the big comps to happen treat other peoples property with respect.

And I bet he would have normally walked away complaining the tilt is too tight like most do.

This is the problem. People that have machines on site cant win. Certain players throw the machines around so the operators run the tilt tighter. Then that player complains the tilt is too tight and wont come back again to play their machines. I had this exact conversation with an operator. They cant win.

Its not life or death. If a ball is draining usually (not always) its because you have missed your shot and hit a post. Take the drain as an indication to improve your play.

The opinion is death saves may not damage machines but it certainly discourages owners to lend them to big competitions. I know this from personal experience.

If everyone wants the big comps to happen treat other peoples property with respect.

Don't get me wrong. I agree 100% with treating other people's machines like a baby and that includes in a tournament. I am simply trying to find and answer to a problem that is see has become a problem by the manufactures themselves taking parts out that use to serve a purpose.

One of my pet hates in tournaments is people trapping balls in multiball on a flipper they hold up and play one ball at a time. This in my opinion is cheating and against the spirit and intention of what multiball is all about. It was never intended to be used as "extra balls" plus it heats the flipper coils and weakens then for those that play afterwards while the coils are hot.

As stated, death saves are not allowed in tournament play, resulting in disqualification.

Further, in tournament play, if the machines are close together, slide saves are also illegal.

In the tournaments that I run, if someone does a death save, they're out. Fortunately, I have yet to see one.

If someone did a death save on one of my personal machines, I would be really pissed off. I would never do it on another person's machines, I respect their property.

I sometimes slide save if the flooring is suitable. @diesel is brilliant at slide saves!

Yes I did hear about a pretty speccy slide save that my BF experienced at the Feddy :huh: ... that and the big slide on diggers AcDc is what has driven my input here, and the resolve to highlight that it will not be tolerated any more, and that the Bowland Challenge will have leg positions marked. Players will have been clearly warned beforehand.

And I bet he would have normally walked away complaining the tilt is too tight like most do..

No, he played on and pretended nothing happened. He only stopped playing when it was pointed out that the machine was being streamed so there was video of his death save.

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't tilt:

AQoH698.gif

Fixed the camera after:

lSCBOlw.gif

Full video (should jump to 52 minutes 25 seconds in:

I had two of my machines in a tournament a few years back. Saw a few people do death saves on my machines. They no longer go to tournaments. And it should also be remembered that not every pin on-site is an operators. Sometimes people get asked to put their machines there for a particular (temporary) reason. To think sited pins are fair game will just mean we end up with less pins on-site.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

You're doing it wrong.

Yeah probably! :lol

What kinds of damage also depends if people fit their legs properly or not. This more affects the Kind of damage. Legs floppy or tight just means the machine may or may not need to slide for a death save. The death save is going to be damaging to some degree in Either Case. Any surface moving on another surface is causing wear (damage) . If legs are tight it just means that a different part of the cabinet will have to "give" or flex.

I say f**k DS's and SS's.

I run polyurethane Pin Butts on tiled floor. They don't move. I like slightly loose legs to allow a bit of flex.

I'll allow friends a couple of attempts to 'get it out of their system' and adjust to the fact they don't move. After that, GTFO, you're being a c**t.

A few of us SA guys refer to a slide save as a 'surname of habitual slider' who basically IMO, cheats his way to big scores. F**k that.

I know I would not like my machines being death saved as they are close together and are on carpet.

I have seen back boxes clash from death saves/slide saves.

What surprises me more than anything is that it seems so common, I would feel like I cheated if I did that. Even at home.

The most subtle Death Save

https://clips.twitch.tv/PlumpStylishMouseVoHiYo

He got away with it.

Personally I do not like death saves at all, the dudes that do it hard core, as far as i'm concerned are cheats.

There is nothing wrong with a slap or nudge here and there, but when a machine is aggressively yanked sideways that pisses me off.

A natural bounce back from behind the flippers without nudging should be acceptable.

Also I own late model Sterns and do not wish to see the cabinets split. <_<

showing no respect to the owner of the machines on site.

Ahh bullshit, It's not like I'm throwing the thing off Todd Tuckey's roof.

If the operator has his tilt set up properly it will tilt almost every time a death save is attempted and therefore I'm MUCH less likely to do it.

Half the machines I play onsite have NO tilt, so course I will take advantage, It's up to the Operator to set his stuff up properly.

Ahh bullshit, It's not like I'm throwing the thing off Todd Tuckey's roof.

If the operator has his tilt set up properly it will tilt almost every time a death save is attempted and therefore I'm MUCH less likely to do it.

Half the machines I play onsite have NO tilt, so course I will take advantage, It's up to the Operator to set his stuff up properly.

Refer my comment above re people complaining tilts are too tight because you insist on throwing machines around.

And no its up to the user to respect someone elses property. This doesnt only apply to pinball but life in general.

Here is a question. If an operator put a sign on their machine saying "Please no death saves as I cant afford to replace the tilt bob" would you throw the machine around more or would you respect the owners request?