Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts. Star Wars rebuild

Are you referring to the cardboard monitor surround for the 25" Amplifone?

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

Hey John yes it's black with silver/ chrome stripes. I have the pattern in hand I just want to be sure that it's going to be scaled properly

- - - Updated - - -

.. and if your getting one made up, can you get a few more perhaps..?

I'll see if I can find the remnants of mine and am happy to post them over to you if that helps..?

Hey WOKA hell yeah that would be great thanks! I can hand it over so he's got a really good reference. If he can produce something good I'd be happy to do a run of them and send one your way

cheers

oota

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey John yes it's black with silver/ chrome stripes. I have the pattern in hand I just want to be sure that it's going to be scaled properly

- - - Updated - - -

Hey WOKA hell yeah that would be great thanks! I can hand it over so he's got a really good reference. If he can produce something good I'd be happy to do a run of them and send one your way

cheers

oota

Are you planning to use the same grade (weight wise) cardboard and size? My old one is ripped and battered as well, but didn't have any printing on it, so put me down for one as well please :)

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

Are you planning to use the same grade (weight wise) cardboard and size? My old one is ripped and battered as well, but didn't have any printing on it, so put me down for one as well please :)

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

yeah I'd like to get a close as possible to the original. I'll have to wait and see what my graphics guy comes up with but I don't see why it can't be done on a decent cardstock.

Ok will do! I'll start an interest thread soon :)

I have some old stripy cardboard pieces too, they are surplus to my needs

I will dig them out and see what there is

cheers Dez whatever you can manage mate. Even one or two dimensions for scale would be awesome

- - - Updated - - -

Update! This is the first of what I hope will be a weekly update as I slowly grind my way through this restoration. I'm taking half days (sometimes full days) from work to really push this beast along.

So I'm stuck in panel restoration hell. Here's the front right panel nearly complete. I've started on the black top coat and then I ran out of paint :)

The nice thing about this panel is it is 20mm thick all the way around the panel until you get to the bottom where is swells to about 22mm. I'm going to live with this as it's a damned old piece of knackered chipboard. next step will be to cut a slot in the filled areas

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a549/jhonpog/Atai%20cockpit%20resto/20150921_110418_zpsiezganqe.jpg

Next week will be the other panel! I hope I can recondition it in a day but it might take a bit more. It's swollen a bit more than the other panel so I'll have to figure out how far to push the sanding

- - - Updated - - -

ok so I dug the sample artwork my graphics guy gave me and put it next to some of the old artwork for comparison.

Overall I'd have to say it's bloody amazing artwork and a job well done on putting it all together. The scale looks to be almost exactly the same.

Admittedly some of the details are fractionally softer than the screen printed one but this may be the difference between vinyl and screen printing I am no expert.

So I think this artwork would be a worthy replacement for the original. I am a bit wary about using This Old Game's screen printed art, I'm not confident I would get it and I'd rather support local/ Australasian businesses where I can.

OK here are the comparison pics

Mirror image of the front panel. I only have a thin stripe to compare.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a549/jhonpog/Atai%20cockpit%20resto/20160212_103448_zpsejougtxu.jpg

Back panel. sorry it's upside down

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a549/jhonpog/Atai%20cockpit%20resto/20160212_1030520_zps6eadsxdr.jpg

Darth Vaders ride.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a549/jhonpog/Atai%20cockpit%20resto/20160212_103020_zpsjdoy2t94.jpg

The colours look great to me. Very vibrant. I think the red darth version has a lighter blue backing?

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a549/jhonpog/Atai%20cockpit%20resto/20160212_102817_zps5pgrsr0i.jpg

The corner here is a little more angular than the original but I don't mind that

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a549/jhonpog/Atai%20cockpit%20resto/80e27868-7e2a-4c15-b2cd-de490928dc90_zpszt2slaqs.jpg

OK that's it for now. Tune in next week for more exciting pictures of panels in grey primer drying slowly

Great art, good to know, could be a few % darker maybe

There are 2 x blues on the actual art, as your pic shows, makes for difficult editing

I guess the only way to double check would be to put it next to a red darth cabinet. I'm happy to send it to whoever has one to verify the colour

:o isn't that against the law or something?

Yeah I might do would be worth having a looksee. Is the game out of storage now?

Huh??

Mine is at my place

Sent it to me to compare, or Ben, or John, or anyone

I am further, so the freight would be higher :)

Huh??

Mine is at my place

Sent it to me to compare, or Ben, or John, or anyone

I am further, so the freight would be higher :)

I think he means the law against selling a Star Wars Dez :D

It's alright oota goota, Dez is a Star Wars slut, he has more than one!! :p

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

Hey Dezbaz a no go from WOKA finding a card surround sadly. Can I ask you to dig what you've got out and give me some dimensions? Otherwise I'll see what KLOV has to offer :)

This is all I have, I hope it's useful

Can measure bits you need if you tell me what you need :)

http://www.amazingarcading.com.au/My_Shroud-01-sm.jpg

• Super Moderator

Yes - sorry. NFI what happened to my surround.. Searched high and low :( It was pretty tatty anyway, but I was certain I saved the pieces. They will turn up.

Went out to where my machines are stored to have a look - this is all I found Star Wars related.

SW.thumb.jpg.b0567d3875df9b32f58adb58f6b0da3a.jpg

Yes - sorry. NFI what happened to my surround.. Searched high and low :( It was pretty tatty anyway, but I was certain I saved the pieces. They will turn up.

Went out to where my machines are stored to have a look - this is all I found Star Wars related.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]89316[/ATTACH]

Yeah, another Star Wars slut! ;)

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]89316[/ATTACH]

Holy crap WOKA. That one closest to camera looks very tidy.

nice one Dez thanks mate this should be enough to get the right scale:

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a549/jhonpog/Atai%20cockpit%20resto/Bezel%20dimensions_zpsarcxzsy5.jpg

can't wait to see what he comes up with! Hopefully it wont be prohibitively expensive

Here are the measurements

1 = 282mm

2 = 141mm

3 = 224mm

4 = 320mm, but remember that is a 13 mm fold there, see that line?

Hope this helps :)

Here are the measurements

1 = 282mm

2 = 141mm

3 = 224mm

4 = 320mm, but remember that is a 13 mm fold there, see that line?

Hope this helps :)

Gah! well spotted Dez. Oddly enough the template I am using has that fold line and tab in it but doesn't have any other tabs. So I might have to get them added to the final drawing. Thanks very much for taking these measurements :)

This surround here clearly has tabs on all the panels except the two medium sized ones:

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a549/jhonpog/Atai%20cockpit%20resto/DSCF2799_zpsgxkmhftd.jpg

Also it looks like it was silver/chrome cardstock with black printed on top of it.

Edited by oota goota