Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts. Star Wars rebuild

The Caps look original to me gents. Make sure you do the mods to the ARII pcb, and test your voltages before you plug in your Star Wars PCB. Great to see you're making progress! :)

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

Cheers John! I'm doing a lot of reading at the moment on KLOV keeping track of what breaks down for other folk :) Still no time to put into the cabinet but that should change in the next few weeks :o

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers John! I'm doing a lot of reading at the moment on KLOV keeping track of what breaks down for other folk :) Still no time to put into the cabinet but that should change in the next few weeks :o

Next time I'm over that way, I'll have to stop by and check it out in person. I expect to be playing a game by then! :D

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

Next time I'm over that way, I'll have to stop by and check it out in person. I expect to be playing a game by then! :D

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

Ha ha! sounds good just give me a few months notice :) I mean like monnnnttthhhsss

• 4 months later...

Hey all I've done bugger all with the cockpit over the last couple of months, work (and kids) has been flat out. I'm planning on getting back to the cabinet in the new year but in the meantime my mate came round with his MAME set up and a TOG yoke stick converter. I busted out my SW yoke (that was donated to me by don1400 over on KLOV) and plugged it in. This yoke needs a serious overall to get up to scratch, it's probably been in don1400's garage for many years and has had no maintenance, but we wanted to see how it would go with a MAME set up.

Anyway hot damn it worked! The yoke was amazingly responsive (ok half the triggers didn't work). We quickly plugged my mates PC into the stereo and cranked it up and we played a bunch of games and a remembered once again why I like this game so much :)

My daughter had a go too nice to see the next generation playing this game.

Ok have good xmas breaks everyone I'll post progress pics as soon as there's something to post!

CAM00939.thumb.jpg.928f6027b2452bf08e77e80b9ebefeb2.jpg

CAM00938.jpg.7db16f7c176229b24c8c338fef5567b7.jpg

Edited by oota goota

My daughter had a go too nice to see the next generation playing this game.

THEY are the best photos..!! How old is she? Love it when my girls play my old school games..

I started my own cabinet just before my eldest daughter was born - she turns 7 in May.. makes me feel totally slack :)

THEY are the best photos..!! How old is she? Love it when my girls play my old school games..

The wee girl is 7.5 the boy 1.75 :) Can't wait to fit them into a cockpit! Hey Hoopstar you still thinking about going MAME or original? The PC my mate was using was a year or two old nothing flash but he did have a very grunty graphics card in it. I'm no expert on the pros and cons of MAME but the yoke was super responsive, the audio was pretty good (voices a bit distorted) and my mate cranked up the contrast to give it a more 'vector' look.

I can get you the specs if you're interested

cheers

oota

I started my own cabinet just before my eldest daughter was born - she turns 7 in May.. makes me feel totally slack :)

nah mate you're just timing it nicely for her to be old enough to enjoy :)

Ultimately I want to go for an original board set and one of Dez's vector monitors but will initially go MAME with the 22" PC CRT monitor..

My SWC PC (which was really just thrown together from second hand parts from various forums) has the following specs:

-AMD X2 6000+ CPU

-Gigabyte M720-US3 Mobo

-4 Gbytes DDR2 RAM

-HD6950 GPU

I'd be interested in the specs of what you're running for comparison as the box is just sitting there waiting to be connected up. I bought one of RAM controls yoke interface boards as well (yes, I was one of the lucky ones that got what they paid for) - what interface are you running?

Ultimately I want to go for an original board set and one of Dez's vector monitors but will initially go MAME with the 22" PC CRT monitor..

My SWC PC (which was really just thrown together from second hand parts from various forums) has the following specs:

-AMD X2 6000+ CPU

-Gigabyte M720-US3 Mobo

-4 Gbytes DDR2 RAM

-HD6950 GPU

I'd be interested in the specs of what you're running for comparison as the box is just sitting there waiting to be connected up. I bought one of RAM controls yoke interface boards as well (yes, I was one of the lucky ones that got what they paid for) - what interface are you running?

ok cool I'll find out what the specs are. the interface was from this old game I didn't look too closely at it but it was basically plug and play :)

• 7 months later...

Hey all wow can't believe how much time has passed since my last post. I still have done BUGGER ALL to the cockpit been busy moving cities, raising kids etc etc. Mdawson kindly donated some rubber matt and vinyl which is most appreciated.

In the meantime I've picked up a power supply some new brackets and a few bits and pieces.

I've still got plenty of juice for this project, it's going to take me quite a long time to get done but I'm in no rush and it's just that time of life where there's a lot going on!

But to be honest the more I read on here and KLOV about the running gear of this game the more it puts me off going original running gear. I have zero experience with this kind of electronics and there looks like there's a lot that can go wrong. So I am tempted to go MAME as a bridging step after the cabinet is restored just to have something up and running. My mate has successfully got a good MAME version of the game including a nice front end so you don't have to deal with windows.

Hope everyone is well; anyone found any more cabinets in OZ or NZ?

Hey all wow can't believe how much time has passed since my last post. I still have done BUGGER ALL to the cockpit been busy moving cities, raising kids etc etc. Mdawson kindly donated some rubber matt and vinyl which is most appreciated.

In the meantime I've picked up a power supply some new brackets and a few bits and pieces.

I've still got plenty of juice for this project, it's going to take me quite a long time to get done but I'm in no rush and it's just that time of life where there's a lot going on!

But to be honest the more I read on here and KLOV about the running gear of this game the more it puts me off going original running gear. I have zero experience with this kind of electronics and there looks like there's a lot that can go wrong. So I am tempted to go MAME as a bridging step after the cabinet is restored just to have something up and running. My mate has successfully got a good MAME version of the game including a nice front end so you don't have to deal with windows.

Hope everyone is well; anyone found any more cabinets in OZ or NZ?

The power supply, monitor and game board are quite reliable once they have been re-built, modified and upgraded. Back when I had my games room, my vector games were some of the most reliable games in my collection.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

The power supply, monitor and game board are quite reliable once they have been re-built, modified and upgraded. Back when I had my games room, my vector games were some of the most reliable games in my collection.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

thanks for the encouraging words John :) I'm not committed either way (mind you I do have the pcbs and power supply) but at this stage I'm thinking it would be good to get all the running gear up and working outside of cabinet before installing. Getting an monitor in NZ is........looking challenging I may have to look further afield

thanks for the encouraging words John :) I'm not committed either way (mind you I do have the pcbs and power supply) but at this stage I'm thinking it would be good to get all the running gear up and working outside of cabinet before installing. Getting an monitor in NZ is........looking challenging I may have to look further afield

You will want to go for a 25" Amplifone. Alternatively, it's a WG6100, but the Amplifone will look a hell of a lot better. Drop Dez a PM and have a chat with him about your options. As he has reproduced the Amplifone boards, you would do best buying these over used ones on ebay, as they will be the latest revision, and once populated, brand new and very reliable as well. Dez may even do all this for you, but again, that's something you can talk to him about, as I really don't know if he offers this service.

I'd also recommend getting everything working before installing, but if you do decide to go with original equipment, start from your power cord, and work your way in :)

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

start from your power cord, and work your way in :)

that's awesome thanks again John for the advice. I think you should put that one on a t-shirt it's simple but makes a lot of sense.

I'll have a chat to Dez for sure. I wonder if he likes stormtrooper helmets?

- - - Updated - - -

just found this link interesting read:

http://mentalfloss.com/uk/games/29173/5-fascinating-facts-about-ataris-star-wars-videogame

• 2 weeks later...

Finally. Finally. Finally got some time to work on my cockpit. Yessss!! Oh man I am starting all the way at the bottom with this thing.

So first up I reattached the top of the trolley. I glued and nailed it with similar sized nails and I added in a few wood screws at the front and back to offset any future separation.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a549/jhonpog/Atai%20cockpit%20resto/20150806_111530_zpsabajhv2a.jpg

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a549/jhonpog/Atai%20cockpit%20resto/20150806_104543_zpsapwu4qnq.jpg

Original on left, replacement on right

Once I've got some side panels complete I will have to prise off the underside of the trolley in order to be able to reattach the panels properly. Then reattach the underside. So one step forward and one back really :)

I've got the two rear side panels almost ready for primer then it's off to a graphics company to see if I can get something done locally. Failing that there is a graphics guy who used to own an arcade (supposedly) who I have used a number of times for other projects who would be well worth chasing up; they have a great set up.

The plan at this stage is as follows:

Reassemble the existing cockpit with new side art etc etc

Install a MAME set up so my kids can enjoy playing this

Complete the cockpit with replacement arch, plexiglass etc etc

Start assembling and reconditioning original running gear ( I have PS, PCB set, ARII so far)

Ok more pics soon

cheers

oota

Started back in on the rear side panels again. I've decided to go with automotive primers and paints as it's the stuff I'm most used to and I know I can achieve a really smooth finish.

So I've primed the rear panels then used a fine/ flowable finishing bog to fill all the little holes and dings. I used a 80grit orbital sanding pad and then a 120grit(ish).

I've got a couple more coats of primer to go and I'll switch to hand sanding up to about 320. After that I'm going to use a Deltron gloss black as a base for whatever artwork I end up with :)

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a549/jhonpog/Atai%20cockpit%20resto/20150811_145637_zpsdcmhdxsg.jpg

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a549/jhonpog/Atai%20cockpit%20resto/20150811_165002_zps1n5nqa2z.jpg

The panels are shaping up quite nicely and although they'll never be as crisp as making new ones. But I'd much rather keep as many original pieces as possible; this is a restoration not a replication :)

Cheers Dez yeah I think I have a copy of those files :) I've not had a close look at them yet but I plan on taking them into a graphics place where I live and seeing what they can do. This place has been recommended to me apparently the guy likes a challenge.

As far as I'm aware there are two options: vinyl transfers (which I've used on other things) or laminate (which sounds like it might be more durable). I'll hopefully get to this guy next week , I'll let everyone know how I get on!

Ahh cool

They look OK to me (The files)

But the size is the thing. You may have to get them printed on paper first to see if they fit

Once correct, go to vinyl :)

ok will do. Thanks again for all that work you did on those files! I got them as part of the package from Ben. I'll talk to the graphics guy and see what they want to do but yeah a grayscale paper print makes a lot of sense.

I'll probably ask them to apply the transfer too. I know this is kind of a cop out but I don't have a space that is sufficiently dust free and I know vinyl shows everything

Edited by oota goota

bit more progress. Got both of the rear panels in black. A damned bug landed in my paint while I was spraying and I discovered a couple of fixes I need to make but otherwise I reckon they are good to go! I will take them to the graphics guy see what he thinks of my finished panels and go from there

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a549/jhonpog/Atai%20cockpit%20resto/20150812_155233_zpskww4xuqw.jpg

cool so I visited the graphics guy today he is very interested in the project. he was happy with the level of finish on my panels so it's good to have a standard to work to for the bigger ones.

I'm going to take the files to him next week for a look but he was very optimistic about the quality of the artwork he will be able to produce on vinyl.

Price wise he couldn't really commit to at this stage but the ball park figure he mentioned seemed reasonable to me. I'll have a better idea of this next week.

Next up for me is to finally start tackling the bigger panels and get them tidied up.

cool so I visited the graphics guy today he is very interested in the project. he was happy with the level of finish on my panels so it's good to have a standard to work to for the bigger ones.

I'm going to take the files to him next week for a look but he was very optimistic about the quality of the artwork he will be able to produce on vinyl.

Price wise he couldn't really commit to at this stage but the ball park figure he mentioned seemed reasonable to me. I'll have a better idea of this next week.

Next up for me is to finally start tackling the bigger panels and get them tidied up.

I had a guy suggest $1000 to clean them up and resize them, then the art printing, on top of that. Naturally I didn't proceed ;)