Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL 31 - Game 9 ~ Turtles ~ [FINISHED]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]109530[/ATTACH]

Wow it's not easy.

Stick at it - it's a cool game (some hate it though :lol)

I'll try and post some tips tomorrow night or Friday when when the game officially enters it's 2nd week of competition.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ATTACH=CONFIG]109530[/ATTACH]

Wow it's not easy.

For a simple looking game, it's a very tough game to score points. A lucky game selection that is perfect as the last game in MGL31 ... :026:

- - - Updated - - -

Wow. Last place and that took me a few tries to get THAT high. I'm obviously missing a key strategy here...

Good news is coming ... :100:

Stick at it - it's a cool game (some hate it though :lol)

I'll try and post some tips tomorrow night or Friday when when the game officially enters it's 2nd week of competition.

Got em http://donkeykongforum.com/Smileys/default/kreygasm.png http://donkeykongforum.com/Smileys/default/kreygasm.png http://donkeykongforum.com/Smileys/default/kreygasm.png

0007.thumb.png.7c7b3472805a7f742422968ec1a0ef50.png

Close enough to one week into Turtles, some tips from me and anyone else that might want to chime in with stuff they have found that I haven't or anything I might miss.

1. Leech the bombs and build up a stockpile. On the first pattern, you should be able to grab 3 bomb packs (9 bombs) most times before one of the roaches turns blue. You should then be able to just run the maze and get at least another 2 packs of bombs before having to use one - so that's 5 starting bombs + 15 more. Note that you can grab the bomb in the middle and sit right where the bombs respawn to grab the next one as soon as it spawns. Of course, if a roach comes down the middle track you'll have to run away of course. After level 1, you ideally should have at least 20 bombs built up, preferrably 25 or more. After level 2, I try for around 40-45 bombs.

EDIT:

1a. When collecting bombs at the start, DO NOT open any of the the mystery ? doors. You do not want to risk releasing a hidden roach.

2. Bombs take longer and longer to re-spawn. So after you grab the first one, the next might come out in 5 seconds time, the third in a further 10 seconds etc. etc.

3. Roaches will get angry and turn blue after a period of time. The further into the game, the longer the bombs take the spawn and the quicker the roaches turn blue. Blue roaches will more of less follow you everywhere - if you have 3 blue roaches on the screen, sooner or later you'll need to drop a bomb or two. This is why you can't sit on level 1 indefinitely and just build up bombs.

4. With only 3 rocahes on the screen, you are pretty safe and will generally not use more bombs than you collect. Once you release the first of the two extra roaches, just clear the level ASAP.

5. Do not use bombs to kill roaches unless absolutely necessary. If you must bomb a roach, try to make it a blue roach - as it will turn it back to the brown colour. The brown roaches are pretty dumb, but being dumb they often do stuff you don't want them to do.

6. When bombing a roach - try to do it at an interection, e.g. if a roach is coming from the right to the left towards you and another roach is coming down the screen towards you, drop a bomb at the interection - which ever roach gets the bomb will then freeze and block access to the 2nd roach, giving you time to make a speedy get away.

7. Dying on level 1 is not the end of the world, especially if you've built up 20+ bombs when you die. When you restart on level 1 with your next life, the bombs go back to quick spawning, so you should be able to building up 45+ bombs on level 1. The 33k score I have up at the moment included (an unintentional) death with only 50 points on the board on level 1.

8. Levels 1 to 4 have 3 roaches to start with 2 hidden. Levels 5-8 have 4 roaches with 1 hidden. When you reach the roof top (finish level 8) - the game restarts but is harder (longer bomb spawns and quicker times for angry roaches). Level 1 the next time round starts with 4 roaches and 1 hidden. Level 2-4 then goes back to 3 and 2 hidden with levels 5-8 the same 4 + 1 hidden.

9. You can drop a bomb right at a gate/door, when a roach is about to get you, you still have time to flip over the ? to see if it's a turtle, then run back out. If it's a hidden roach, you can run back over the top of the stunned roach and the new roach will be stuck there until the other one unfreezes - hope that makes sense.

Did some nerdy stuff last night with Turtles using the 126 life (cheat) dip settings. Wanted to see how many bombs you can stockpile, and wasn't suprised to see that it was 255. The bomb count stops at 99, but it does in fact keep accumulating bombs. If you get more than 255 bombs, it will roll over and you may be left with only 1 or 2 bombs depending how you roll it. Not to worry - I'm not prepared to say no one would ever roll it, but it would be bloody hard.

Probably forgotton to mention a few things, I'll make another post if I think of anything else. Let me know if the tips help or if you've found something that might help others.

Edited by John73

Close enough to one week into Turtles, some tips from me and anyone else that might want to chime in with stuff they have found that I haven't or anything I might miss.

1. Leech the bombs and build up a stockpile. On the first pattern, you should be able to grab 3 bomb packs (9 bombs) most times before one of the roaches turns blue. You should then be able to just run the maze and get at least another 2 packs of bombs before having to use one - so that's 5 starting bombs + 15 more. Note that you can grab the bomb in the middle and sit right where the bombs respawn to grab the next one as soon as it spawns. Of course, if a roach comes down the middle track you'll have to run away of course. After level 1, you ideally should have at least 20 bombs built up, preferrably 25 or more. After level 2, I try for around 40-45 bombs.

EDIT:

1a. When collecting bombs at the start, DO NOT open any of the the mystery ? doors. You do not want to risk releasing a hidden roach.

2. Bombs take longer and longer to re-spawn. So after you grab the first one, the next might come out in 5 seconds time, the third in a further 10 seconds etc. etc.

3. Roaches will get angry and turn blue after a period of time. The further into the game, the longer the bombs take the spawn and the quicker the roaches turn blue. Blue roaches will more of less follow you everywhere - if you have 3 blue roaches on the screen, sooner or later you'll need to drop a bomb or two. This is why you can't sit on level 1 indefinitely and just build up bombs.

4. With only 3 rocahes on the screen, you are pretty safe and will generally not use more bombs than you collect. Once you release the first of the two extra roaches, just clear the level ASAP.

5. Do not use bombs to kill roaches unless absolutely necessary. If you must bomb a roach, try to make it a blue roach - as it will turn it back to the brown colour. The brown roaches are pretty dumb, but being dumb they often do stuff you don't want them to do.

6. When bombing a roach - try to do it at an interection, e.g. if a roach is coming from the right to the left towards you and another roach is coming down the screen towards you, drop a bomb at the interection - which ever roach gets the bomb will then freeze and block access to the 2nd roach, giving you time to make a speedy get away.

7. Dying on level 1 is not the end of the world, especially if you've built up 20+ bombs when you die. When you restart on level 1 with your next life, the bombs go back to quick spawning, so you should be able to building up 45+ bombs on level 1. The 33k score I have up at the moment included (an unintentional) death with only 50 points on the board on level 1.

8. Levels 1 to 4 have 3 roaches to start with 2 hidden. Levels 5-8 have 4 roaches with 1 hidden. When you reach the roof top (finish level 8) - the game restarts but is harder (longer bomb spawns and quicker times for angry roaches). Level 1 the next time round starts with 4 roaches and 1 hidden. Level 2-4 then goes back to 3 and 2 hidden with levels 5-8 the same 4 + 1 hidden.

9. You can drop a bomb right at a gate/door, when a roach is about to get you, you still have time to flip over the ? to see if it's a turtle, then run back out. If it's a hidden roach, you can run back over the top of the stunned roach and the new roach will be stuck there until the other one unfreezes - hope that makes sense.

Did some nerdy stuff last night with Turtles using the 126 life (cheat) dip settings. Wanted to see how many bombs you can stockpile, and wasn't suprised to see that it was 255. The bomb count stops at 99, but it does in fact keep accumulating bombs. If you get more than 255 bombs, it will roll over and you may be left with only 1 or 2 bombs depending how you roll it. Not to worry - I'm not prepared to say no one would ever roll it, but it would be bloody hard.

Probably forgotton to mention a few things, I'll make another post if I think of anything else. Let me know if the tips help or if you've found something that might help others.

Thanks for posting these tips. That's an awesome post and may well be the first ever detailed guide on Turtles ... :023:

... got a little easier once i discovered the button does something.

Yes you need the button to drop the bombs! This ain't Turtle-man ... :laugh:

And now how to play this game well ... check out this great game by John73 ... he could probably take this score much higher ...

http://www.twingalaxies.com/showthread.php/171787-M-A-M-E-Turtles-Points-33-490-John-McNeill

AA_John73_33490.thumb.PNG.472c1ce3641aab329355de82b0235e27.PNG

- - - Updated - - -

12560 Just ahead of Judge....closer than a bees................................sting

10 points more ... the smallest amount possible in the game ... but it counts! ... :035: ... can thejudge improve his score too, or will gadzooks post an even higher score ...

One thing I did leave out of the tips which some may not have worked out, when you stun the roaches, you can safely run over the top of them. So if you have two roaches coming from different directions, run towards the closest one, drop a bomb then retreat. When he is stunned, the make your escape over the top of him and he will block the other roach for you.

Day 14 ...

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Turtles3_zpscwvvuwdy.png

Go on, put your money on the rabbit ...

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/tumblr_inline_nwkks7XOUM1s3enod_500_zpsfnjs9egn.gif

3 days to go until submissions close for this game ... and as you can see, many struggle to do well in this game ... yet thejudge makes a fine improvement ... :023:

This is a fine game and was in my vert / maze / fav list from a previous MGL.....the strategy is as cool as Ladybug.....a great game but I have no more time to play than this quick couple of games :)

http://i.imgur.com/APN8VoCl.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry a bit pissed and lazy...........CBF even turning the light off for no reflection or changing to 4 way.......but HEY I played :)

Edited by Rat
Edited to sound less drunk :)

Day 14 ...

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Turtles3_zpscwvvuwdy.png

Go on, put your money on the rabbit ...

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/tumblr_inline_nwkks7XOUM1s3enod_500_zpsfnjs9egn.gif

3 days to go until submissions close for this game ... and as you can see, many struggle to do well in this game ... yet thejudge makes a fine improvement ... :023:

Who is this BandontheRu?

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade