Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Thomas the tank engine. TTTE.

I think I deserve a cuppa. It's bloody cold outside and not much warmer in the shed.

The first job of the day was to cut the triangular blocks that sit inside the legs. A bit of stuffing around with my little table saw setting the depth and cut angle to 45 degrees and the guide to the right place and I had two triangular blocks instead of a square one. While I had the saw plugged in I also trimmed down the strips I had cut to rest the perspex on as they were 2mm too tall.

Next job was to drill the leg bolt holes in the new front panel and glue the leg supports inside the cab. I'll drill the bolt holes in the triangular support pieces once the glue has dried thoroughly. I then gave the cabinet a sand down and filled a few more marks.

While the bog was setting I glued the new strips on the red wooden playfield surrounds. I ended up just cutting a new top end piece as the existing piece was a bit rotten and I fitted some ply to it with wood glue and some screws to fill the void at the top end of the playfield. It'll end up having a decal fitted to it.

I didn't remake the side pieces as there were cutouts in them for the arched rod at the top to mount in and a couple of other recessed areas further down and I really couldn't be bothered, did I mention It's bloody cold in the shed today.😁 They will be hard to see anyway as they'll be under the track.

The cabinet and backbox were sanded down again and everything was dusted off with a rag so I could start painting.

Now I'm probably the worst painter in the world so I just use a roller and even with that I got more paint on myself than the cabinet. I've given it two coats of primer and will leave it overnight before I give it a light sand and more primer tomorrow. This is exactly the same way I did the Shark and Aussie Arcade pinball cabinets and it works well enough for me, especially as this one will have decals applied over the top.

The two really short bits of track finally arrived yesterday and they're a perfect fit so the track fills the perspex just right.

I'll let everything cure and set now and try to get out to the shed again tomorrow.

Cheers Trev

cfc35ce347c0532676856ee974f6136e.jpgdb7e031ffda5951ca295ae8274233ddd.jpg66cbc4057ef656d16fcfb75798584a51.jpg9114f8e391d9fb8c31d90bc8f52d8ba8.jpg54413d8ae86964bb8e3c8ad132184a23.jpg2116f68770ce000469e4dbdd7afc7607.jpgf9f9d802933a0cb294ec62c0ad4dd706.jpgdbeada372b2d307d583f8b57a740c337.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Next job was to drill the leg bolt holes in the new front panel and glue the leg supports inside the cab. I'll drill the bolt holes in the triangular support pieces once the glue has dried thoroughly.

I fit these to a lot of party hire machines. They go straight in and unlike the factory ones, don't strip out.

They also hold the cabinet corners together.

Well worth the cheap price. I think they are only cheap because most people don't exactly know what they are for or not know that you can fit them straight in.

You even get a shitload of screw holes pre-drilled in them.

They are a much better idea than the ones used on pinballs currently that literally split the pinball cabinet corners when the legs are tightened too much.

http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/cabinet/01-11400-1.html

Trev you really shouldn't paint in the cold unless you have heat. Most Acrylic (water base) paints wont dry under 12deg C & Oil base paint wont evaporate the thinners under 10deg C. I hope it didn't run!

It's all good. It's been about 16 degrees and the paint it drying. It's just a miserable wet windy day. Thanks for the heads up anyway. No runs.

Cheers Trev

I fit these to a lot of party hire machines. They go straight in and unlike the factory ones, don't strip out.

They also hold the cabinet corners together.

Well worth the cheap price. I think they are only cheap because most people don't exactly know what they are for or not know that you can fit them straight in.

You even get a shitload of screw holes pre-drilled in them.

They are a much better idea than the ones used on pinballs currently that literally split the pinball cabinet corners when the legs are tightened too much.

http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/cabinet/01-11400-1.html

I actually put these in the Aussie Arcade pinball.

Cheers Trev

I actually put these in the Aussie Arcade pinball.

Cheers Trev

Keep it quiet or the price will go up on them.:)

I think it was early Bally, Williams or Gottlieb that used to use them but cost cutting meant the current stupid piece of flat bar got put in instead.

I've been putting them in a heap of 90s pins after the corners have come apart over time.

I split the cab, liquid nails in the gap, liquid nails on the back of the plate, clamp the cab back closed and fill the plate with cabinet screws.

Paint the inside corner of the cab with black paint and they look like they were factory fitted but now the cab will never come apart again.

Sorry I need to clarify something. It was cold when I went out to the shed at 9:30 this morninig but warmed up a bit towards 1pm when I started painting. I have to move between sheds too as the table saw and drop saw are in a different shed and it's horrible outside.

Cheers Trev

Edited by BIG Trev

A huge thankyou goes out to Jeff @Railways for donating a brand new set of rails for this machine.

They're going to look a whole lot nicer than the ones I took off.

The generosity of AA members never ceases to amaze me.

Thanks Guys.

I had a go at using DesignSpark PCB today for the display board. All hand laid tracks by the way.😁

I think it looks quite good. I'll double and triple check the circuit before I think about getting some made.

3c154a9945cf0961203adb629fb489d8.jpg33d531fdbd27c816e6d04480dbb5ea11.jpg5f93392feddf7635f1afb09adbd73870.jpg

Update: I got rid of the 5 vias, tidied it up a bit and fixed all the component labels.

Now I'm happy with it.😁

Edited by BIG Trev

Hey BIG Trev this is a fascinating thread, well done, an inventive and great build. I too have a small child that is well enraptured with lying on the floor and watching Thomas trains. Plus you know you are living the dream of having a massive shed full of arcade machines to tinker and work on... i have an L shaped desk and the promise of not to get "your crap" on the carpet. lol.

ta

kapgo

Check the buffers for clearance when lifting the playfield in the cabinet.:(
It should all be ok. 7b04ff492625d4e6d921e4e277fcdefa.jpg

The only issue I have is that the big plastic is a very neat fit in the cabinet in width and I may need to trim about 1mm off the sides so it won't scuff the artwork inside the cabinet apart from that it's good.

Cheers Trev

More parts on the way. I've ordered posts, rubbers, translite lock assembly, rollover inserts and inserts.

I've also placed an order with pcbway.com for the score display circuit boards. I've ordered 5 at AU$16 each. They're just over 300mm long so they don't qualify for the $5 deal. I'm sure I can find a use for the others.[emoji16]

Cheers Trev.

It's about time there was a bit of colour in the shed. The cabinet is a bit lighter than it appears here.[emoji16]9dc6cb3dc79c598660e478a323002063.jpg08afc4254cd3408c9869cc05a880e6bf.jpge6f684991fc27557ede00790616b388b.jpge393a8e7d795ae96e2543fb6f74da2e1.jpg409d2da3657af0c6d31cca31c93977df.jpg

The coin door frame had to be redone.[emoji852]

Edited by BIG Trev

I love the powdercoating I couldn't stop looking at it on the way home. It was on the front seat of the car. It's called Pommel blue.

Pretty good for $200 powdercoating and $25 zinc plating.

The painting is done and some parts are starting to go back on. [emoji16]

The final dimensions have been sent to @stuzza for the cabinet art which will be the next bit to apply then I can assemble the cabinet. I still need to do a bit of adjusting on the lockdown bar but that can wait until everything else is fitted.

[emoji16][emoji4][emoji16]521b3bd01fa1df915d060bab48b20a26.jpgd25546d4ce8ebbd3d9868a911d90521b.jpg3828298f9cd7d0ec88db074918cd4360.jpg330f5d7bcee73245b6c2fbb87cdd48b2.jpg

I used Rustoleum satin black on the chimney and that's the first time I've ever spray painted with a can and not had runs.[emoji6] it's good stuff.

The Rustoleum is great to use but I've learnt the other day the hard way that after painting with it it doesn't like taking enamel or acrylic paint over the top - fries up like a beauty. So a word of warning.