Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

2017 Australian Pinball Museum Competition

Limiting the player size reduces the overall points on offer. It would be great to start seeing tournaments like papa here. But venue size is always a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 is the experiment first time out, i think it might be able to go higher in future but lets see how this one works. I agree, more people equals more fun and more points which in turn means more people

The venue will be very crowded if all 32 spots are filled. Plus, it is the organisers (Lyndon & Michael) first attempt at running a tournament. Regardless, with 3 tournaments, it is still a large meet for a small regional town!

The 3 tournaments will still offer about 16/18/20 points. To get that many points in SA would take 5 tournaments over 2 months, while in VIC it would take 9 tournaments over 2.5 months. So this is still attractive for those solely after IFPA points, at least those from SA & VIC, possibly even NSW, while I think you are blessed in QLD with a vibrant tournament scene.

I agree it would be great, however realistically Australia doesn't have the population base to attract numbers anywhere near something like PAPA. You only need to look at all the "major events" over the last 12 months across Australia and only one tournament "sold out", the Flip Frenzy on the Melbourne Matchplay weekend, which exceeded its maximum (& turned away about 5 players):

APRIL 2017

Cooly Classic - 61/unlimited

Cooly Strikes - 34/unlimited

Cooly FF#1 - 36/45

Cooly FF#2 - 37/45

FEBRUARY 2017

ACS FF - 41/unlimited

ACS Strikes - 53/unlimited

(ACS 2016 - 32/32 - 12 were unable to attend, i.e. 44th ranked played)

OCTOBER 2016

Melbourne FF - 50/40 - oversubscribed by 15 players, i.e. about 5 turned away

Melbourne Matchplay - 37/unlimited

JULY 2016

Brisbane FF - 48/unlimited

Brisbane Masters - 66/68

MAY 2016

Batcave Pingolf - 55/70

Batcave Classics - 61/70

Batcave Masters - 61/70

All of the above aside Mitchjjam, it would be great if you can attend the Nhill meet. Then we will have at least one player from QLD (I'm sure @G will get there to represent NSW!). Apart from that, I don't think I have met you yet, despite attending all but one of the above "major events", including finally getting up to QLD last month for the Cooly Classic tournaments (& Netherworld FF).

For mine, the points are just a bonus, the big draw card is the road trip aspect, a weekend away, playing pinball & catching up with the VIC's and any other interstate attendees!

The main thing is that we have another pinball venue in Australia putting on tournaments!!

Cheers ... Andrew

I agree with what your saying Andrew and I would love to come down. Your right we are blessed in qld at the moment. When I started 3 years ago we were starved for events. Now it seems we have so many we can't attend them all. My question for numbers was not a negative one but hope you can open it for as many players as are willing to attend.

Pinball needs to grow its member base. This in turn will create bigger meets and have more players travel. I think that's the ticket. When you think about it what are the points for? There is no money in it but just the challenge to see how well you fare amongst your peers. Eventually it could go main stream and like other sports get sponsorship and real prize monies. I just play for the challenge and social aspect. Kind of addictive really.

To run a meet isn't easy. There will be challenges that pop up and issues you need to deal with. It takes a few before you iron out everything. I wish you guys the best of luck with it and hope the players support you guys.

Finally I like the idea Australia is producing more tournaments. Hopefully can catch up with the USA.

Cheers

Mitch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still not sure if I'll make it or not. Should know for certain by the end of the month

Unfortunately there's now absolutely no chance of me coming over for this. About to have 2 weeks in a row with more to pay out than I'll earn. :cry

@No Ball Save

Are you driving to this, and if so, can I go you halves in fuel?

I'm not sure if I can make it yet, but I'm trying to sort out some costs and logistics and see where that leads.

@LCM - Hey Luke, can you do me a fav please and contact Marcus and Adam on my behalf. I'm trying to see if I can share a ride from Ballarat Rd with someone. I guess Stu McLean will bypass Melbourne to get there?

Cheers,

Greg

Edited by GEE

Unfortunately I wont be able to make it. The weekend it is on happens to be towards the end of school term and exams are kicking in. Sorry guys. Look forward to seeing you sometime soon though for sure!

Up to 20 now:

#1 Michael Costalos

#2 Lyndon Carter

#3 Paul Michell

#4 Grant Stephens

#5 John Kleeman

#6 Andrew Heitmann

#7 Matthew Owen

#8 Chris Craft

# 9 Tom Casey

# 10 George Chromis

# 11 Marcus Sezonov

# 12 Jamie Linke

# 13 Stelios Michas

# 14 Stuart McLean

# 15 Andre Thomson

# 16 Greg Siegele

# 17 Stephen Vari

# 18 Adam Dutton

#19 Michael Kerylidis

# 20 Derren Sparķy

All are paid and registered.

Let's see how close we can get to the 32! C'mon Victorians!!!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Aussie Arcade mobile app

I'd love to have you there, Richard & G! (Greg)

With work slowing down, bucketloads of rain in March, and missing my train to Netherworld's Death by Pinball, I've been hit pretty hard financially. At the moment I'm a 5% chance of making it.

I've taken on a second job though, so let's hope it will beef my chances up to 100%.

Cheers.

G

Machine List Update

Machine list above has been updated with the latest changes in the museum.

2 machines left the premises this past week (but luckily they weren't originally on the tournament list anyway), and 4 machines have arrived in the last week, all of which should be machines to be included in the tournaments.

Machines that are available to be in the tournament are:

AC/DC - Back in Black LE [stern, 2012, DMD]

Banzai Run [Williams, 1988, SS]

Bram Stokers Dracula [Williams, 1993, DMD]

Champ [bally, 1974, EM]

College Queens [Gottlieb, 1969, EM]

Creature From The Black Lagoon [bally, 1992, DMD]

Fashion Show [Gottlieb, 1962, EM]

Fire! [Williams, 1987, SS]

Fish Tales [Williams, 1992, DMD]

Judge Dredd [bally, 1993, DMD]

Pinball Magic [Capcom, 1995, DMD]

Playboy [stern, 2002, DMD]

Revenge From Mars [bally, 1999, PIN2000]

Rollercoaster Tycoon [stern, 2002, DMD]

Star Pool [Williams, 1974, EM]

Star Trek - Premium [stern, 2013, DMD]

Student Prince [Williams, 1968, EM]

Swords of Fury [Williams, 1988, SS]

The Simpsons [Data East, 1990, SS]

Top Score [Gottlieb, 1975, EM]

Twilight Zone [bally, 1993, DMD]

WWE Wrestlemania - Pro [stern, 2015, DMD]

X-Men - Magneto LE [stern, 2012, DMD]

This lineup hopefully is nice variety for all of you - a wide range of eras have been covered, a nice variety of the types of pinballs (EM, DMD, etc), plus I think there is plenty of choice in there for different playfield styles (fast flowing, open playfields/claustrophobic playfields, very wide/narrow flipper gaps, 2"/3"/lightning flippers/zipper flippers, etc etc...)

On the day of the tournament, any machines that have developed issues will be removed from the list. The machines to be used in

the tournament will then be selected from the list. Each of the 3 tournaments over the weekend could potentially have a different

selection of machines from this list to play on.

676ef8e04b132b67e9ccf3e0daf13bfd.jpg

Edited by Brk_oth
Edited just to add pic of newer sterns.

Machine list above has been updated with the latest changes in the museum.

2 machines left the premises this past week (but luckily they weren't originally on the tournament list anyway), and 4 machines have arrived in the last week, all of which should be machines to be included in the tournaments.

Machines that are available to be in the tournament are:

AC/DC - Back in Black LE [stern, 2012, DMD]

Banzai Run [Williams, 1988, SS]

Bram Stokers Dracula [Williams, 1993, DMD]

Champ [bally, 1974, EM]

College Queens [Gottlieb, 1969, EM]

Creature From The Black Lagoon [bally, 1992, DMD]

Fashion Show [Gottlieb, 1962, EM]

Fire! [Williams, 1987, SS]

Fish Tales [Williams, 1992, DMD]

Judge Dredd [bally, 1993, DMD]

Pinball Magic [Capcom, 1995, DMD]

Playboy [stern, 2002, DMD]

Revenge From Mars [bally, 1999, PIN2000]

Rollercoaster Tycoon [stern, 2002, DMD]

Star Pool [Williams, 1974, EM]

Star Trek - Premium [stern, 2013, DMD]

Student Prince [Williams, 1968, EM]

Swords of Fury [Williams, 1988, SS]

The Simpsons [Data East, 1990, SS]

Top Score [Gottlieb, 1975, EM]

Twilight Zone [bally, 1993, DMD]

WWE Wrestlemania - Pro [stern, 2015, DMD]

X-Men - Magneto LE [stern, 2012, DMD]

This lineup hopefully is nice variety for all of you - a wide range of eras have been covered, a nice variety of the types of pinballs (EM, DMD, etc), plus I think there is plenty of choice in there for different playfield styles (fast flowing, open playfields/claustrophobic playfields, very wide/narrow flipper gaps, 2"/3"/lightning flippers/zipper flippers, etc etc...)

On the day of the tournament, any machines that have developed issues will be removed from the list. The machines to be used in

the tournament will then be selected from the list. Each of the 3 tournaments over the weekend could potentially have a different

selection of machines from this list to play on.

676ef8e04b132b67e9ccf3e0daf13bfd.jpg

What a great sounding line up.

EMs and Solid states any day of the week for me

Great work Lyndon

Although I think Paul should start a new thread entitled "Memory (Out)Lane"!

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

I don't think the Vics are going to do too well in the SA V Vic showdown, their numbers are very light on!

Greg makes a fair point, as based on the attendance list so far, there are 13 from SA and 3 from VIC.

Since I spend about a third of my time in Melbourne, I guess I can be an honorary Mexican for the weekend.

I'm now a 14% chance of attending.

G

Yeah... everything is a little blurred... right now I'm thinking that I too am going to represent the VICs!

Not that blurred... You're obviously representing Australia, which is more important than most things.

I have to say though... The following quote feels like it was lifted from a British sitcom...

Don't tempt me George!!

:D

Cheers,

G

49% in for this.... Assume there are still rooms at the Oasis?

Plenty of rooms still available with Double beds or Queen beds if you are booking a room by yourself or bringing a significant other.

Twin rooms sold out quickly, so we've added more twin rooms at the discount rate, perfect room type if you are trying to save money and are sharing a room with a friend.

For the best available rates, book direct on the motel website with this coupon code link:

https://www.oasismotel.com.au/bookings.php?coupon=MPINBALL517

Edited by Brk_oth