Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

*** WORLD VIDEO GAMING CHALLENGE - TWIN GALAXIES - submit your scores ***

OOO

The topic on the TG forums about paying is still rolling on - the community is smashing it's head against a brick wall, the only person half responding is "Freeko" who doesn't appear to have any real say in how TG is run, and now is coming up with lame arsed excuses for not accepting digital submissions. Honestly, if you are going to represent an organisation like TG, at the very lease identify who the hell you are instead of hiding behind some stupid forum username!

Anyone want to set up a rival site to TG and go for Guinness accreditation? Send me a PM, I'll be more than happy to help.

The topic on the TG forums about paying is still rolling on - the community is smashing it's head against a brick wall, the only person half responding is "Freeko" who doesn't appear to have any real say in how TG is run, and now is coming up with lame arsed excuses for not accepting digital submissions. Honestly, if you are going to represent an organisation like TG, at the very lease identify who the hell you are instead of hiding behind some stupid forum username!

Anyone want to set up a rival site to TG and go for Guinness accreditation? Send me a PM, I'll be more than happy to help.

I thought digital submissions were ok, but you still had to print and complete the form, then scan it for your submission and email it in or something.

Has that changed?

I thought digital submissions were ok, but you still had to print and complete the form, then scan it for your submission and email it in or something.

Has that changed?

Only digital submissions for MAME as far as I'm aware. I know marathon games are something different, but a 5-10gb AVI is absolutely nothing these days, sending stuff by traditional mail is pretty out dated.

• 3 weeks later...

TG LOSE GUINNESS GAMER'S CONTRACT

I have been patiently watching the developments under the new TG management for a while now.

It hasn't been pretty.

Checked in tonight and found a very interesting post written by an ex-employee at Guinness just a few hours ago.

Hot news. This guy had a trading card made for him by Walter Day too.

This says it all, read on ...

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Arcade/GuinnessCancelContractAugust2013_zps261a1ab9.png

I sent a PM to Craig and asked him when was the contract lost and how much is the contract worth.

I don't think he will answer the second part, but I thought I would at least give it a go. :D

I wonder who picks up the contract? It would be a free verification service in theory. Who do you think it will be?

Where does TG go from here? Does TG print their own book like they used to when Walter organised it?

How will members of TG react when they paid for scores to get in the GGWR book and now the contract is gone?

The 'balls up' continues ...

OOO

W.O.W.....

Writing was on the wall a long time ago. PEople stated the model would not work, and clearly the idiots running the show have jumped in to this pricing structure without checking with guiness if that was ok to continue being "World records".

SO what will they do now, try to convince people that all is still good, that they don't need the guinness thing anyhow. Who is going to pay (not that people were) to be listed on some website without a World Record Certification.

It's now official. RIP TG.

W.O.W.....

People stated the model would not work...

What I am concerned about is the integrity of TG. What do I mean? How long ago did this happen, what today ...... errrr no. And TG just keep quiet and say nothing.

I would have at least expected a statement to do and say the right thing. Very unprofessional.

What I am concerned about is the integrity of TG. What do I mean? How long ago did this happen, what today ...... errrr no. And TG just keep quiet and say nothing.

I would have at least expected a statement to do and say the right thing. Very unprofessional.

HOw long ago did the guinness logo get removed from the site. That would be a good indication of when this went down. Guinness would have terminated the contract and told them to cease using their logo etc within a certain (short) period of time!

Edit> I just had a look at my world record cert for Wardner. It does not mention Guinness anywhere on it.

I am sure they will be sweeping this one under the rug and business as usual!

This is sad :(

Oh well lets move on, I have always looked at TG, but found their submission rules too difficult (really the new fee didn't bother me personally) but now they are f%$ked as there is no differing them from other score websites. I always checked marp first then went to TG, if the marp score was higher then that was the record to me. They have never been the end all for me, but I did enjoy the Walter input and some of the characters, now slipped into the past. I wonder if we will see some new names at marp? I have not submitted there for ages either, still gaming and still striving, will submit again some day :)

TG have not announced losing Guiness on FaceBook which seems to be their main portal now, their last post is a lame Wii serial submitter that I bagged out ;)

• Administrators

This is hardly surprising but still sad nonetheless. I'm fervently waiting to see which site if any will take up the mantle. Glad I kept my record recordings so I can submit them to another site though =)

Yet another instance of paying for verification has not improved the "service"

http://www.twingalaxies.com/discussions/thread/419/time-from-score-submission-to-scoreboard-update/page_1/#post2643

Brad

Edited by Brad

• Administrators
Looking into this loss of Guinness contract thread on TG a little more, it looks like to me that it could be a hoax.

Maybe a stunt to generate press. We'll see in the next few days.

Possibly but why did they remove all guinness graphics from the site several weeks ago?

Brad

Possibly but why did they remove all guinness graphics from the site several weeks ago?

Brad

It could be that the post is a guess that the contract has been lost.

The person that posted the notice is probably a phoney and did it on speculation.

However, it may actually be true it is lost.

We'll see, as TG have not denied or confirmed the rumour.

Still a good question why the Guinness graphics was removed.

Hey Barra, talk to us about your recent Galaga missions!

Are you going for Laidlaw's record?

Hell you played Galaga in MGLXVIII recently and it looks like AA helped you re-find your passion.

I hear good things from yesterday. Talk to us!

Please tell all right here ...

:)

Hey OOO!

Sorry missed your post! (thanks for the PM :P)

Yep AA has definitely re-ignited my passion for this game.

Just the other day I hit my first killscreen (stage 256) with a PB score of 3,335,140

Laidlaw's record? Man I wish I was that good. Remember hes at 4.5million with ONLY 5 ships!

My biggest goal at the moment is beating Krogman's 5.4million MAME score! Im confident this will happen soon. This means increasing the difficulty from Rank A (default, easy) to Rank D (hardest), which also allows the player to continue through the killscreen. It will be a tough one though, with around 3 1/2 - 4 hours of gameplay :o (my killscreen was 2 hours)

Unfortunately Im sitting at 2nd in the race to beat his score, George Strain just put up a huge score of 4.2million the other day. I have a bit of catching up to do!!

Ill be sure to let everyone know my progress :)

Hey OOO!

Just the other day I hit my first killscreen (stage 256) with a PB score of 3,335,140

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Arcade/BarraGalagaPB_zpsc9bdd3eb.png

How many years have you been playing Galaga now?

What happens on the killscreen to end your game?

My biggest goal at the moment is beating Krogman's 5.4million MAME score! Im confident this will happen soon. This means

increasing the difficulty from Rank A (default, easy) to Rank D (hardest), which also allows the player to continue through the

killscreen. It will be a tough one though, with around 3 1/2 - 4 hours of gameplay :o (my killscreen was 2 hours)

It's strange that the game designer made the game killscreen on rank A, yet if you play on Rank D there is no killscreen. Where is the logic in that?

Do you know why this is so?

Unfortunately I'm sitting at 2nd in the race to beat his score, George Strain just put up a huge score of 4.2million the other day. I have a bit of catching up to do!!

Good luck in your quest!

I'll be sure to let everyone know my progress :)

Thanks for the news, everyone at AA is supporting you to reach the goals you are capable of.

Go for it! :)

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Arcade/BarraGalagaPB_zpsc9bdd3eb.png

What happens on the killscreen to end your game?

It's strange that the game designer made the game killscreen on rank A, yet if you play on Rank D there is no killscreen. Where is the logic in that?

Do you know why this is so?

Good luck in your quest!

Thanks for the news, everyone at AA is supporting you to reach the goals you are capable of.

Here's an analysis of the Galaga killscreen. Includes the various things that happen on different settings and also shows how to fix the bug if you can rewrite code.

http://donhodges.com/galaga_stage_256_fix.htm

Awesome graphic thanks OOO!! And thanks Rob for the link about the various killscreens! Interesting read.

I first remember Galaga from when I was about 6 years old (around 1994/95) My dad used to take us to a shop which sold collectables (such as basketball cards, we still have heaps) and they had a Galaga machine out the front. They had a deal where you score so many points you get so many cards. IIRC the maximum amount you could win was 10, if you reached 100k or more. In the end we got banned from going since my Dad was winning too many cards. (he consistently scored around 150k). We have over 1000 cards. Lol. Thinking about it now, I can see why they banned us! :P

Ahh anyway, my first time properly playing it was when I discovered MAME at the age of 13-14 (I first joined TG and MARP in 2004, so around then). I played for around 2 years and had a PB of 1,456,880 on default settings. This was to be the case until a couple of years ago when I picked it up again and started to analyse my patterns and the game a bit more. September last year I finally beat my old PB with a score of 1,815,120. The next day I scored 2,600,520.

Since then I hadnt played much until just before the MGL this year. I improved to 2,794,450 just before the start of it. About a week ago that grew to 2,848,620 and a few days ago to 3,335,140!

I imagine progress will be slow with switching to harder settings. That, and finding the time to play out a full game. They will be pushing 3 hours soon.

Anyway, went on a bit of a tangent, sorry about that. Lol.

Good luck in your quest!

Thanks!!

Your right though, Guinness was really the only thing keeping people submitting there, combined with it being free. At least for arcade submissions.

It's all over now, apart from a complete reversal of what they are doing, TG is dead.

Edited by knight76
Fat Finger Phuk-Up