Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Getting rid of that horrible Black rubber

Hi All

I get asked about the silicon bands I use and how hard is it to change them out.

So I have a few spare hours today and DPLE is getting the treatment. This thread will be more for any one newer to the hobby or those that think they can’t..... but you can!!!

BEFORE you start you better be as OCD as me and make sure you have plenty of coloured or translucent silicon bands that you will need. Ummm yes it’s a lot of $$$

But I NEED to have them just in case.

IMG_4215.thumb.jpg.ad3d843734603b11c9b96cdd5a16e66e.jpg

Start off easy so the sling area is best. Oh and have the Mr Sheen on hand to clean everything as you go. Under the plastics, the plastics and all around the playfield.

BEFORE

IMG_4205.thumb.jpg.2dbcace4ef6d06c4f5eae027de3da0d2.jpg

AFTER....I usually change out the ugly steel washers at this point for clear washers also.

IMG_4206.thumb.jpg.0af11a5696f6c1ec2e5e7f514ce898e9.jpg

So then around the drops area.

IMG_4216.thumb.jpg.c5769d3fe4145783c131831e14b81c34.jpg

And then the fun part up into the lane guides and pop bumper area.

IMG_4214.thumb.jpg.7bbf7545a316b6ed0052afa95acd0f54.jpg

Around this time have a look and see how much you have removed and might start to panic if you haven’t tried this before. [emoji23]

DPLE owners this is what it looks like under the Katana. The mech comes off quiet easy with 3 plugs to disconnect. And carefully remove the blade as it is actually very sharp on the edges and you could damage playfield if you drop or scrape it.

IMG_4210.thumb.jpg.8071fffbdbdfddeb0c227364f5db18de.jpg

IMG_4209.thumb.jpg.3c2d1abdc0dc0885649ac870424c1c0c.jpg

IMG_4217.thumb.jpg.42ea21570f873e7f0ef7955efd12881e.jpg

Also as you go, have a look at say the post rubber. Stern are using colour now but it’s very thin so I’m swapping out the ones under all this so I won’t have to do this twice when one breaks.

BIG difference to Cliffys

IMG_4212.thumb.jpg.3120c2770981688b50b456796f780959.jpg

I did notice this time a lot of posts that I needed to take nuts off we’re loose, not the nut but the post that screws into the playfield. Not good in the long run as this would lead to wear around the base of the posts. So I went around and check tightened them all.

IMG_4211.thumb.jpg.264b10df739aabd2b6b98d995ad5fd1b.jpg

Oh and a few little tweaks while I’m at it.

I noticed the spotlights from Wolverine and Dazzler on the disco ball didn’t seem to be having the right reflective effect. Spot of silastic under Wolvies right foot and placed it on the spinner bracket got it aimed right.

IMG_4207.thumb.jpg.5e2b2f94f6f9c2220474771d6dfa1442.jpg

And slid spot on Dazzler around to the left and raised her right roller skate above the plastic and I now see much better disco ball effect. You know you love this shit @Wotto !

IMG_4208.thumb.jpg.ea8865a7feb9598c3b5164afdddef7f7.jpg

So you might ask WHY would you do this and replace perfectly good rubber. I HATE all the black that comes off the rubber and ends up all over the playfield. Plus I think it looks better and they clean up very easy with.......you guessed it, Mr Sheen.

Yes it’s an OCD (you know you are just as bad, c’mon admit you have a problem)thing but keeps my games in pristine condition. Playing clean and fast. YES I do play them.

And as always I place everything I remove from a game in a plastic bag and leave inside the coin box. The next owner then will always have the correct spare.....even though it’s BLACK!!

IMG_4218.thumb.jpg.b3c5d18630f5b91dc4ce82d9de727225.jpg

Happy pinballing guys. Ahhh living the dream!

IMG_4219.thumb.jpg.0217f045e7f610a2e33c6ef07152a14b.jpg

Damn.... where did these spare washers come from??[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Edited by JOKERPOKER

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting rid of that horrible Black rubber

Hey Dave.

It was just that I noticed the spotlight aim was way off the disco ball. I did take video but don’t know how to load it. [emoji23] I will send it to you.

It would be a good code update to blackout more GI when Disco MB is on to see more effect. Yes mate loving this game.

I prefer the factory rubbers for the most part.

I had silicon ones on Tron LE and my Addams and it was so hard to gain control of the ball as they bounce like crazy off em.

With Tron - upon plunging the ball, it would usually drop into the scoop to start a mode.

With those rubbers it never did and kept bouncing away.

I don't mind using the silicon flipper ones but again it depends on which game.

They look awesome tho.

I hope you were wearing your white gloves while performing that task.

Out of all those pics, one item stood straight out.

Get rid of that shifter:)

Yes I know the shifter is bad. Just didn’t have small enough socket.

Of course mate[emoji23]

IMG_1602.JPG.25c762e2e84dd86ef4a544200bfd1fd9.JPG

I had silicon ones on Tron LE and my Addams and it was so hard to gain control of the ball as they bounce like crazy off em.

With Tron - upon plunging the ball, it would usually drop into the scoop to start a mode.

With those rubbers it never did and kept bouncing away.

I don't mind using the silicon flipper ones but again it depends on which game.

They look awesome tho.

Yep they aren’t to everyone’s liking. Always nice to have a choice. Get a clear spinning disc on Tron. It goes off and no more black crap everywhere. I’ve had it reverse spin back up into into Gem shot. Way better than rubber.

Yep they aren’t to everyone’s liking. Always nice to have a choice. Get a clear spinning disc on Tron. It goes off and no more black crap everywhere. I’ve had it reverse spin back up into into Gem shot. Way better than rubber.

I've got a clear pad - just gotta install it.

Check out the Titan rubbers. Babak at Pinball Haus sells them now, so you don't have to pay for shipping from the US.

Especially for the flippers, I recommend the thin competition bands. They play just like black rubber: same feel, no excessive bounces, and none of that excessive grip that you get with those shitty super bands. And the Titans don't shed anywhere near as much black dust as rubber bands do.

Michi.

This ^

Mine gets so much torque it can spin up the right ramp!

Any Tron without one is just missing out.

I love how wild it makes it. If you want a sedate and predictable game don’t add one of these ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black rubbers were great for lazy operators and that was about it. I like the fake rubber ones for the flippers and places that the game is enhanced by using none stock white rubbers but honestly I think no much looks as good as a pin with brand new white rubbers but then you can't be lazy. You must rotate them and keep them clean.

Yes, great post Scott. I too am a fan of Mr Sheen. I spray it directly onto the microfibre cloth, then onto the area I wish to clean. Also a huge fan of the clear PET washers instead of those crappy steel washers that look fugly. I might do my pins with these translucent silicon rubbers. Do you get these from Babak? I assume you can get all the different sizes in them, as ordering could be a nightmare. I guess I just follow the sizes in the manual?

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry if this seems like a silly question but what is the difference between titan rubbers, silicon rubbers and supabands? I thought they were one in the same.

Sorry if this seems like a silly question but what is the difference between titan rubbers, silicon rubbers and supabands? I thought they were one in the same.

Super bands are made out of polyurethane. Titan rubbers are made out of silicone.

The super bands are total crap. Way too soft, making it very difficult to live-catch. The ball just endlessly bounces. The super bands also have way to much grip. Sometimes, it feels almost like the bands are covered in glue. The ball just behaves strangely on the flippers.

Because super bands are so grippy, if you use them for slingshots and posts, they can put an insane amount of spin on the ball. In the US, they are pretty much universally laughed at now. All the top players hate them. (Listen to the commentary on super bands by various top players such as Raymond Davidson, Cayle George, and Escher Lefkoff during the recent IFPA championships; they were absolutely scathing.)

The Titans play way better than super bands. Not too much bounce, not too much grip. The ball remains controllable, and you can live-catch, but they don't deaden the ball either.

In terms of shedding dirt and bits of plastic, both super bands and Titans come out about the same: much cleaner than rubber, which gets brittle over time and eventually just fills the machine with dust.

I replaced all the rubber in my POTC with super bands a few years ago. It was a lot of work to get them in there. (POTC is a machine with lots of difficult to reach places, and you have to disassemble a lot of the playfield for a full rubber replacement.) After two months with the super bands, I had enough. I was hoping that their hyper-active bouncing would eventually settle down, but it didn't. So, I went through the entire exercise a second time with Titans. The difference was like night and day.

Even if you don't do a full replacement, just do yourself a favour and try putting a pair of Titan thin competition bands on your flippers. It really makes a big difference.

Check out the Titan rubbers. Babak at Pinball Haus sells them now, so you don't have to pay for shipping from the US.

Especially for the flippers, I recommend the thin competition bands. They play just like black rubber: same feel, no excessive bounces, and none of that excessive grip that you get with those shitty super bands. And the Titans don't shed anywhere near as much black dust as rubber bands do.

Michi.

Titans are the best Mich been using them for years now. I still use super bands on flippers they just never break.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, great post Scott. I too am a fan of Mr Sheen. I spray it directly onto the microfibre cloth, then onto the area I wish to clean. Also a huge fan of the clear PET washers instead of those crappy steel washers that look fugly. I might do my pins with these translucent silicon rubbers. Do you get these from Babak? I assume you can get all the different sizes in them, as ordering could be a nightmare. I guess I just follow the sizes in the manual?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes mate Babak has them now. I did my last order through Titan as Babak was still short on some stock.

Use the manual but don’t be surprised if some are wrong size as it’s been known to happen that manual can be wrong. Give me a call if you are short something. I might have it and can post it up.

- - - Updated - - -

I've got a clear pad - just gotta install it.

Bit fiddly but get it on there. Machine plays insane. Hope you have plastic protectors on as it really does get the ball action going if it’s the one from Germany.

- - - Updated - - -

This ^

I love how wild it makes it. If you want a sedate and predictable game don’t add one of these ;)

Such a different game with one on hey Lucas. Just plain crazy.

This ^

Perfect as that’d help reach DAFT PUNK mode!

Super bands are made out of polyurethane. Titan rubbers are made out of silicone.

The super bands are total crap. Way too soft, making it very difficult to live-catch. The ball just endlessly bounces. The super bands also have way to much grip. Sometimes, it feels almost like the bands are covered in glue. The ball just behaves strangely on the flippers.

Because super bands are so grippy, if you use them for slingshots and posts, they can put an insane amount of spin on the ball. In the US, they are pretty much universally laughed at now. All the top players hate them. (Listen to the commentary on super bands by various top players such as Raymond Davidson, Cayle George, and Escher Lefkoff during the recent IFPA championships; they were absolutely scathing.)

The Titans play way better than super bands. Not too much bounce, not too much grip. The ball remains controllable, and you can live-catch, but they don't deaden the ball either.

In terms of shedding dirt and bits of plastic, both super bands and Titans come out about the same: much cleaner than rubber, which gets brittle over time and eventually just fills the machine with dust.

I replaced all the rubber in my POTC with super bands a few years ago. It was a lot of work to get them in there. (POTC is a machine with lots of difficult to reach places, and you have to disassemble a lot of the playfield for a full rubber replacement.) After two months with the super bands, I had enough. I was hoping that their hyper-active bouncing would eventually settle down, but it didn't. So, I went through the entire exercise a second time with Titans. The difference was like night and day.

Even if you don't do a full replacement, just do yourself a favour and try putting a pair of Titan thin competition bands on your flippers. It really makes a big difference.

Thanks Michi for that detailed explanation. I have black super bands on my TWD and green on GB. As I am just an average and social player, I am not at a high level where it really matters re comps, etc. But in saying that, I will definitely take your advice and replace the flippers with titan thin competition bands. Does Babak stock these? If not, PSPA?

So to get this right, Scott has replaced all rubbers with the translucent silicon type (titan) and you recommend the same. If so, I will go through my paperwork today and get an order ready for both TWD and GB.

Thanks again.

But in saying that, I will definitely take your advice and replace the flippers with titan thin competition bands. Does Babak stock these? If not, PSPA?

Babak told me that he has them last time we chatted.

Ditch the super bands, they are crap. They don't play anything like the original bands that you get with a BniB.

Michi.

I find the performance of Titans much better than Super bands. Especially on the flippers. I'm not a comp player, but I really don't like how they affect the ball during play.

A common thing you see though all my repair threads here is that I replace the old rubbers with Titans.

How do you order the Titans from Pinball Haus?

Sent you a text Mark.

- - - Updated - - -

I find the performance of Titans much better than Super bands. Especially on the flippers. I'm not a comp player, but I really don't like how they affect the ball during play.

A common thing you see though all my repair threads here is that I replace the old rubbers with Titans.

Yes about to order the entire set for GB and TWD. I am going to go the glow in the dark green coloured Titan's for GB but TWD am still trying to decide. Maybe either black or red.

Titans are available in lots of colours and sizes: https://www.titanpinball.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=52

Unlike with normal rubber, the colour doesn't affect how the ball rebounds.

I don't know which ones Babak has in stock, but he can probably order pretty much anything on Titan's list. He's only a phone call away: https://www.facebook.com/pinballhaus/

Titans are available in lots of colours and sizes: https://www.titanpinball.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=52

Unlike with normal rubber, the colour doesn't affect how the ball rebounds.

I don't know which ones Babak has in stock, but he can probably order pretty much anything on Titan's list. He's only a phone call away: https://www.facebook.com/pinballhaus/

Yes mate, have spoken to him today and in the process of ordering now. Thanks again for your advice and input. I have full titan rubbers coming for GB & TWD.

Now for the huge task of replacing them all and giving the playfield a full going over and clean.