Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Favourite Arcade games from the early 80's

399 members have voted

1. 1. Favourite Arcade games from the early 80's

• Dig Dug
    • Galaga
    • Galaxian
    • Moon Patrol
    • Bomb Jack
    • Moon Cresta
    • Scramble
    • Track n Field
    • Paper boy
    • Frogger
    • Dragon Buster
    • Kung Fu Master
    • Espial
    • Gyruss
    • Pooyan
    • Ms Pacman
    • Pac Land
    • Crush Roller
    • Star Wars
    • Pacman
    • Donkey Kong
    • Donkey Kong Jr
    • Space Invaders
    • Crazy Climber
    • Mr Do
    • Ghosts n Goblins
    • Marble Madness
    • Dragon's Lair
    • Disc's of Tron
    • Yie Ar Kung-Fu
    • Traverse USA (Zippy Race)
    • Space War 4 (Spacies clone with add ons)
    • Buck Rogers
    • Pengo
    • Xevious
    • Bezerk
    • Asteroids
    • Hyper Olympic
    • Lady Bug
    • Super Pacman
    • Juno First
    • Nemesis
    • Time pilot
    • Crazy Baloon

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no way anyone of us will agree on the best, because we all were playing arcades at different stages of there presence in our life? Different years, and whatever was in the Milkbar, or arcade place at the time? But one thing we can all agree on, is that it was a great time in our life in the history of arcades. That time will never return. Putting those 20cent pieces into the machine, and for the younger ones, dollar coins to get that feeling where getting better and will beat it this time? Most of the time a new machine would come along to take our attention away to another one. The early to mid eighties, there were so many different titles that were pushed on to us, but we always found the extra coin to put into it to try and learn that new machine. Paper runs were my thing, then work money. As you can tell, the one that grabbed me the most was Defender. A three and a half hour game and only stopped because some bastard stole my 18 speed racer, that is why I stopped the game. It took half an hour to destroy all my ships and smart bombs. Does anybody remember the electric starters in the gas heaters at school that allowed you to put up 99 games on the early arcades when you zapped the coin door? Or the cotton stuck onto the 20 cent piece with sticky tape to lower it down to to trigger a a game, over and over? Or until the Greek, or Italian owner of the shop caught you ripping him off? Then you couldn't go back for awhile. They also didn't like us being there most of the time, because when you were good at the machine, you stopped other people putting there money in. Double edged sword for them. Regulars, or less money? Sorry for the rant, but that was my childhood, and I wouldn't have it any other way.[emoji481][emoji869][emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I chose to use my response to choose what was probably my favourite back then, although it wouldn't be my choice anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Initial release date: September 1983

Sorry about that chief, I think my memory is fading as I get older and drink more.[emoji15]. I do remember enjoying playing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pac-Land gets my vote from that list, Played alot of Wonderboy (86?) at the same time, but Pac-land with the right Joystick is more fun, very skillful where as Wonderboy is Memory for the most part, actually I played it in 84-85, then one day I was talking to the owner & said "You should get Pac-Land back" can you believe his response was "yeah i'm getting Pac-Land back" & it re-appeared a few days later :D

2 different sets. plays very different, Japan set with feather in hat is slow & doesn't play the same as Set 1. I didn't see any buttons only versions, couldn't possibly be as much fun.

Pac-Land gets my vote from that list, Played alot of Wonderboy (86?) at the same time, but Pac-land with the right Joystick is more fun, very skillful where as Wonderboy is Memory for the most part, actually I played it in 84-85, then one day I was talking to the owner & said "You should get Pac-Land back" can you believe his response was "yeah i'm getting Pac-Land back" & it re-appeared a few days later :D

2 different sets. plays very different, Japan set with feather in hat is slow & doesn't play the same as Set 1. I didn't see any buttons only versions, couldn't possibly be as much fun.

I love Pacland. I don't think I ever played it in an arcade though. I watched people play but I only put coins in games that I thought I'd get a long game on and I was worried Pacland would be too hard.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't start going to arcades or playing arcade games until 1986 with classics like Wonderboy, OUTRUN and Ghosts'n Goblins. The beginning of the GLORY DAYS!!

I do remember the very first arcade game I played though, it was Ms. Pac-Man in a supermarket in Fairfield, NSW in 1985. I got an Atari 2600 in 1983, so I played Atari versions of PAC-MAN, Space Invaders and Frogger to death but not the real arcade machines.

But going by that logic it would have to be a toss up between PAC-MAN, Frogger and Galaga.

Terra Cresta was in a cocktail at the cricket club I was at as a teenager the sound has instant recall funny how that works in our brains. It’s actually a pretty cool game outside the mainstream set of classics.

I didn't start going to arcades or playing arcade games until 1986 with classics like Wonderboy, OUTRUN and Ghosts'n Goblins. The beginning of the GLORY DAYS!!

I do remember the very first arcade game I played though, it was Ms. Pac-Man in a supermarket in Fairfield, NSW in 1985. I got an Atari 2600 in 1983, so I played Atari versions of PAC-MAN, Space Invaders and Frogger to death but not the real arcade machines.

But going by that logic it would have to be a toss up between PAC-MAN, Frogger and Galaga.

I would argue that 1986 was the beginning of the decline of the glory days.

NES was now prevalent in most homes and laser disc games like Dragons Lair were a last ditch effort to spice some new life in arcades.

Just sayin, as someone born in 1972 and seeing the rise of arcades from bowling alleys and delis.

Still great that you have those memories of when arcades were great!

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

• 3 weeks later...
I would argue that 1986 was the beginning of the decline of the glory days.

NES was now prevalent in most homes and laser disc games like Dragons Lair were a last ditch effort to spice some new life in arcades.

Just sayin, as someone born in 1972 and seeing the rise of arcades from bowling alleys and delis.

Still great that you have those memories of when arcades were great!

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

The NES was never prevalent here though. The C64 was prevalent and arcade conversions were always pretty dreadful. You had to play the real thing! The SMS's explosion happened in 1989/90 and was followed by the MEGA-DRIVE's explosion in 91. It was not until the MD that home versions of arcade games were finally the same experience as the arcade.

They were the glory days for me you could not go anywhere here without seeing an arace machine. Usually a Wonderboy, Ghosts'n Goblins, Double Dragon or Psychic 5. The arcades all over Sydney were amazing, sometimes 2 or 3 arcades in a single shopping centre, not to mention the big 4 on George St around the Hoyts, Greater Union and Village cinemas. Oh, and the awesome arcade sectiins IN the cinemas! Even public pools had arcade machines.

They were also the glory days for me because 1985-1997 was when the creators were at their best and most innovative. The games evolved, as did the hardware. It was an amazing time.