Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Arcade and Pinball machines in BMX Bandits

Hi Aussie Arcaders

A friend of mine sent me a screenshot recently from the 80's Australian film "BMX Bandits"; challenging me to identify any of the games in the frame. The only one I can make out at this point is obviously "Space Invaders", although I feel I should recognise the pinball machine with the "S" (it feels oddly familiar) and the sci/fi themed shooter on the right. Could anyone else help identify any more?

This is actually something we've been doing on an ongoing basis for fun. He'll send me some screens of a film with games and I'll try to figure 'em out. A recent Chinese film for example "Wandering Earth" featured a quick snap of Contra.

bmxbandits.thumb.jpg.26843e73f52e7e8810ae10136f2986dc.jpg

http://www.ukvac.com/forum/uploads/620/2009-10-14_232954_bmxbandits01.jpg

http://www.ukvac.com/forum/uploads/620/2009-10-14_233035_bmxbandits02.jpg

http://www.ukvac.com/forum/uploads/620/2009-10-14_233055_bmxbandits03.jpg

The aqua machine is a Taito, probably was a Polaris originally but has had a game change and the generic Taito header panel, "VideoFrame" fitted. The actual game name fitted in the picture is written in the yellow section of the header.

MV5BZjU4OGYxMTgtNjEzYi00ZDA0LTkyZDYtNDI2NzA1YTUzMWFkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzg5OTk2OA@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,712,1000_AL_.jpg

i'd suggest its a space chaser cabinet steve. whats to the left of it though?

Not sure on that machine. It isn't as high as the Taitos each side so I doubt it was a Taito. I would say the film was shot in an AMF Bowling center because we were the ones that made the generic header panels used on the other Taito machines but what has me confused is the SpeakEasy is a SpeakEasy 4 and to my knowledge only NSW had a SpeakEasy and it was a SpeakEasy 2 which become mine.

Every state was doing conversions on there old video machines so it really could be anything that has been converted. The front door looks non Taito, more like the doors LAI was using on there imported machines like those used on there BattleZone imports but that thing certainly isn't a converted BattleZone but I would say something from that manufacturer.

That is a Space Chaser cab to by the way.

• 1 month later...

Hi Aussie Arcaders

Here's another "games in film" question. A friend found this scene in a Thai action film called "Vengeance of an Assassin (2014)". There's two images here; one looks like the guy is playing on a Famicom or some kind of pocket portable console and in the second, the game he's playing could well be a mock up for the purposes of the film, but it also looks a bit like Namco's Tank Battalion but with a different score interface.

Any takers in identifying this one? :)

611784202_VengeanceofanAssassin2014(2).thumb.jpg.3e3041899bc8ff45c67a5e3797725199.jpg1665834466_VengeanceofanAssassin2014(1)(1).thumb.jpg.b0c03c0ce04a9fe33a306b6a543108f6.jpg

• 3 months later...

Another random "let's identify arcades in film" question!

I was watching a cheesy 80's exploitation film called "Stripped to Kill" (1987) and had to pause it when I spotted this dude hunched over a cabinet in the background of a shot which was so fun and incidental. It's blurry and so I can't quite make out the marquee, but I'm sure someone with a better eye than me can identify it. There seems to be some distinct yellow and red markings on the bezeling. I feel I should know it, but can't be sure...

Bonus points for anyone that can say anything about the machine on the right as well! ;) Thought it was a Joust upon first glance.

vlcsnap-2019-09-29-06h28m49s298.thumb.jpg.c96720061cfce100f1637c7772b01ba0.jpg vlcsnap-2019-09-29-06h31m55s622.thumb.jpg.7ce1937a8595de6b71eebd67df7df2c4.jpg

Bizarrely enough, figured out the game on the left by sheer luck. I think it's a Mat Mania.

https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8641

Whilst browsing games at RetroUprising, I found a small image of the marquee and the familiar patterns stood out.

If there are any takers for the machine on the right, feel free!

• 2 years later...

Hi Aussie Arcaders

I've got another cabinet from an obscure flick I'm looking to identify. It's from a 1987 Spanish film entitled "Las Chicas Del Tanga". The cabinet looks quite unusual to me and the small bit of output from the screen reminds me heavily of Rally X. However the shape of the car and colour of the road is quite different but it's an overhead racer of some description.  Anyone with some insight? Thanks in advance! 

LasChicasDelTanga1.jpg

LasChicasDelTanga2.jpg