Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL 35 - Scoreboard

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

aOQSDzZ.gif

After 59 days of arcade gaming and so many new PBs, MGLXXXV has now come to a close.

The final standings are below:

AiXLFnv.png

CONGRATULATIONS to the Top 40 in MGLXXXV … where we had 65 competitors battle it out over 8 games … of which 1 game was the first time ever played in the MGL. This game was PunchOut!!. Flying Shark was last played over 9 years ago and Commando over 7 years ago.

Congratulations to Chris Clemente from New Jersey for winning MGLXXXV … this is his first ever MGL title win and he now joins the elite gamers that have won the prestigious MGL tournament. He wins it with placings of 1st, 2nd, 4th, 6th, 3rd, 3rd, 5th and 1st. Starting with a win and ending with a win was a great achievement. Clemente scored best in Commando with 1,052,700 points and Flying Shark with 3,518,580 points to clinch the title by 41 championship points. His average game score was 97.9 points and this was his MGL debut. Extremely well gamed.

Jacob Spring from Denmark gamed on these tough games to post a superb 2nd place in his 3rd MGL. After coming in at 16th place in MGLXXIX and 24th place in MGLXXX, this gamer has improved tremendously to game at a very high level. His game placings were 9th, 5th, 7th, 10th, 2nd, 14th, 12th and 7th. His best game was Punch-Out!! and his most challenging game looked to be Road Fighter. That’s a fantastic runner up finish by the cool Dane.

Sean Clough from Western Australia, playing in his 17th MGL, finished in an outstanding 3rd place to record his best win since the same placing in MGLIX played over 8 years ago. A veteran of gaming at this high level, his best game placing of 4th was achieved 3 times in Wonder Boy, Road Fighter and BurgerTime. Great gaming.

Robert Macauley from South Australia gamed for an improved average score of 90.1 points across the 8 games in MGLXXXV and another two placings higher on MGLXXXIV for a terrific 4th place. Macauley’s BurgerTime game win was outstanding with 2,608,200 points. Macauley has now played in 22 consecutive MGLs and finished in 6th place or higher in every one of those tournaments. That’s 6 straight years at the highest level. Missing out on 3rd place in MGLXXXV by only 4 points, the legend continues.

Matt Sales from the USA joins the MGL on his debut to play with the best and achieves a mighty 5th place. Scoring 1,142,770 points on Road Fighter for 2nd game placing as his best, Sales scores 434,250 points for 4th place in Flying Shark and two 5th placings to hit the Top 5 of MGLXXXV. His greatest challenge was Track & Field with 28th place. His avatar looks like Flying Shark and that was his 2nd best score.

Jeff Mikuska from Illinois followed up his excellent placing in MGLXXXIV with an excellent 6th place in MGLXXXV. First appearing in MGLXXVIII, he has now finished in order of play with placings of 11th, 10th, 8th, 7th, 4th and now 6th place. In a field of 65 gamers world wide, Mikuska is consistently improving his game and increasing his experience on the toughest video games in eSports.

Wirre.The.Man is another gamer who enters the MGL as a rookie and games very strongly for a very accomplished 7th place. Scoring an average of 86.3 points and posting placings of 8th, 9th 15th, 33rd, 18th, 12th, 8th and 15th, this gamer worked hard to be successful and successful he was … well played. He missed out on 6th place by only 8 points. Galaga seemed to be a golden opportunity to score higher and perhaps up to 5th or 6th place on the overall scoreboard.

Andrew Barrow from New Zealand played well for 8th place with his best of 3rd place in Galaga. After the euphoria of Score Wars as the World Galaga champion, Barrow started very strongly in the first 4 games to finish with an overall average of 85.9 points and placings of 10th, 6th, 2nd, 3rd, 46th, 11th, 30th and 13th. Punch-Out!! and BurgerTime were by far his toughest challenges.

Daniel Larsen from Denmark opened the MGL very strongly with 3rd, 7th and 5th in the first 3 games and finished in overall 9th place, just 5 points behind Andrew Barrow in 8th place. Like for Barrow, Larsen’s biggest challenges were Punch-Out!! and BurgerTime which were his lowest scores. His best scores were on Commando, Track & Field and Wonder Boy.

Tim Gadler averaged 84.8 points and finished in 10th place. His best scores were on Punch-Out!! and Road Fighter with 6th place on each. This was Gadler’s 4th consecutive MGL and he equaled his best finish of 10th place from MGLXXXIV. That was the Top 10.

Stephen Krogman breaks the World Record on Galaga TGTS, 5 ships, no extras and hardest setting to win Game 4 … with 6,320,040 points … and finished in overall 11th place. His 2nd best score was making burgers on BurgerTime with 1,730,850 points for 2nd place and he averaged 83.1 points. Well played. Congratulations again on the Galaga TGTS world record.

Pierre Massey from France scored an average of 83 points and scored his best on Flying Shark with 418,350 points for 5th place to finish in overall 12th place. Posting humorous animated gifs as well as great gaming scores, Massey has finished in at least 12th place in the 6 consecutive MGLs he has contested to date.

Pessimeister made his debut in MGLXXXV and immediately his nomination of Commando for Game 1 was played. With an average score of 82.5 points, he also nominated Flying Shark which was Game 8 to end the MGL. He scored his best finish in the MGL on this game with 731,280 points and 2nd place to complete his maiden MGL tournament with a fine 13th place. Nicely played.

Shane Sawle played extremely well on Wonder Boy to win Game 2 with 1,459,210 points. Averaging 79.6 points per game, his next best was 9th place on Road Fighter with 676,670 points. Sawle played in his 17th MGL and there is little wonder why this guy plays so well. Practice makes perfect and expertly gamed. Sawle completed his gaming for a very nice 14th place overall.

Dick Moreland gamed in this 4th MGL and recorded a very nice 15th place. Moreland won his first ever MGL game title with an outstanding 1,380,330 points on Road Fighter. Averaging 78.5 points per game, he records his best finish since 12th place in MGLXXV of 2015.

Johnny Bonde played in this 2nd MGL and scored his best on BurgerTime with 10th place. He tied with Dick Moreland on overall Championship points. On head to head count it was 3:5 wins and Bonde took out 16th place.

Benjamin Sweeney continued to play well in his 6th MGL to post a very fine 17th place. Scoring 335,440 points on Flying Shark to finish the tournament with his best game placing of 10th place, Sweeney also played well on Commando with 92,300 points for 15th place. He continues to improve his skills and knowledge on these tough games from the foundation years.

John McNeill played in his 23rd consecutive MGL to finish in 18th place and make the Top 20 for the 20th time. An outstanding achievement from a consistent gamer. He averaged 77 points per game which is 2.3 points higher than in his previous tournament of MGLXXXIV. Well played!

Terence Wong averaged 76.6 points per game and finished in 19th place on the scoreboard. Wong’s best score was on Galaga with 455,810 points and 8th place. More gaming time would have possibly seen this gamer reach the heights of previous MGLs. Thank you also for posting the WolfMAME ROM versions for the games as well.

Rich Shearman from Wales scored best on Flying Shark with 379,760 points for 6th place and Wonder Boy with 517,850 points for 8th place to overall take out 20th place and complete the Top 20. It was also great for Jack Shearman to join his dad for the first 3 games and finish in 54th place.

XBNyhis.png

Alex Bishop gamed for an average score of 76 points per game and scored his best on Wonder Boy with 442,790 points and 10th place in this game. His overall score was 608 points and 21st place, just 2 points away from 20th place. Well played Bishop.

Patrick Stanley played in his 2nd MGL to finish in 22nd place. Scoring an average of 74.8 points, his best game was Commando with 151,300 points and 4th place.

Derek Camin made his debut in the MGL and finished with a really good 23rd place and 588 points. He averaged 73.5 points per game with a finish high of 8th place in Flying Shark scoring 372,620 points. His next best was 95,680 points on Punch-Out!! which earned him 14th place. For a first time contest in the MGL, Camin did well.

Kane Mawhinney scored 571 points for an average of 71.4 to finish in 24th place. His best score was 86,300 points for 17th place on Commando. Playing in his 27th MGL tournament, yes 27th, he is one of 3 gamers with a minimum of 27 starts. Amazing! (Derek Broadfoot and Andrew Cathcart are the others and they also gamed in MGLXXXV).

bigredbird scored 566 points to secure 25th place. His score on BurgerTime was incredible with 1,149,200 points of pickles, dogs, egg, ice cream, coffee, chips, pepper and buns. Playing in his 11th MGL this gamer can game great when he wants to. Also a big thank you to bigredbird for the participation of littlebigredbird, our only lady in the MGL, I wish there were many more.

ozfalcon played in his 3rd MGL and played well to finish in 26th place. His best score was 61,030 points on Punch-Out!! and 78,700 points on Commando to take out 23rd place on both occasions. Averaging 70 points per game, this is a good result since his last gaming in MGLXXX of the 2016 season.

Timothy Kreh made his debut in MGLXXXV and streamed his games on his Twitch channel to share the game play and the fun. He also averaged 70 points per game and scored 561 points, which was a tie on total points with ozfalcon. On the head to head count it was 3:5 and Kreh achieved an accomplished 27th place.

thejudge finished in 28th place after scoring 557 points and just shy by 3 points on 26th place. With an average of 69.6 points his best game was BurgerTime with 31,750 points and 18th place.

Paul Ford from England scored 552 points in his 2nd MGL with an average of 69 points. Punch-Out!! was his best game with 73,730 points and 19th place. Overall he finished in 29th place as he keeps improving his game.

Hervé Petit-Jean played steady in all games to finish in 30th place. Playing in his 7th consecutive MGL, he averaged 65.4 points per game for a total score of 523 points to make the Top 30 with an overall 30th place. Well done.

wolfman24 makes a return to the MGL since MGLXXVII in 2016. Yes the wolf man is back and he scored 522 points for an average of 65.3 to take out 31st place.

monojoker gamed in his 12th MGL to finish in 32nd place with an average of 64.9 points. His best game was on Galaga with 237,680 points and 12th place. monojoker first played in the MGL over 9 years ago and continues to enjoy his gaming and the competition.

Homar joined the MGL for the first time and was welcome to learn and game as best as anyone can. He scored best on Flying Shark, Road Fighter and BurgerTime and averaged 64.8 points per game. A good start on the toughest games on the planet. A well earned 33rd place.

CrazyKongFan scored 518 points for 34th place and missed out on 4 places higher by just 7 points. Also congratulations to you on your 12th consecutive MGL.

BandontheRun visited Sydney in March 2018 and then scored 509 points and 35th place in MGLXXXV. Posting his best score on Punch-Out!! with 93,070 points and 15th place, more game time and a proper joystick would have seen him go right up the scoreboard.

Bob Johnson, aka Flash IV, scores 501 points for an average of 62.6 points to take 36th place. His best game was Punch-Out!! with 76,780 points and 17th place. Johnson enjoyed his retro Birthday Party this year and played well in MGLXXXV to finish in the Top 35.

Derek Broadfoot, Erik Wiman, littlebigredbird and Shaun Pirotta all played well to finish in the Top 40.

For all those gamers who finished from 41st place to 65th place, you posted some great scores and some great games were played. I hope you enjoyed the challenge and your gaming.

The Country Top 3 finish was USA 1st, Denmark 2nd and Australia 3rd ...

1. http://i.imgur.com/WqIzot4.png

2. http://i.imgur.com/UtA2PKR.png

3. http://i.imgur.com/p5dS4Mx.png

With 8 games contested there were 6 different game winners …

Hector Rodriguez (2), Chris Clemente (2), Shane Sawle (1), Stephen Krogman (1), Dick Moreland (1) and Robert Macauley (1)

Congratulations to the game winners for hitting the high score on these games …

5Wn6Fv5.png

OZpS9OW.png

wCp7GxJ.png

oqKL6E2.png

CHmlXmu.png

HUy6bwC.png

X0VnqWI.png

PYtzowm.png

I have updated the virtual trophies for the Top 3 … with the famous mouse police from the great Namco platformer Mappy …

Champion:

Chris Clemente

kou75eA.png

2nd:

Jacob Spring

rTon8U4.png

3rd:

Sean Clough

vRLcuno.png

Looking back on the tournament, we had 8 games played over 8 weeks in the first tournament for 2018. We had 16 gamers make their debut in the MGL and they all played well to post some great scores. 2 of these gamers won games and 1 of these gamers won the tournament. 8 of these gamers made the Top 40.

65 gamers played in the tournament from all over the planet which is a new MGL record. As the MGL continues to grow, the foundation games of the video game universe will also continue to grow in importance and relevance. There was the Big Bang to start the universe, and so it was for video games with the golden age of video games from the 70s and 80s. All gamers are welcome in the MGL, there is no discrimination here.

Two world records were set in 17 days of competition during Game 4 - Galaga in MGLXXXV. Armando Gonzalez scored an incredible 6,056,490 points to set a new world record on the Arcade platform. Many thought no one would beat this score in the 17 day time window, and then Stephen Krogman scored even higher with 6,320,040 points in MAME for the all time ARCAME (Arcade and MAME) world record. This combined platform record has rattled the Galaga hierarchy.

Some games were not played in the MGL for over 7 years, so if you are a gamer, it’s time to play as you may not be around to play the next time. For example Commando over 7 years, Flying Shark over 9 years and Punch-Out!! never before.

LOQJews.png

In the past four MGL tournaments, we have had 4 different winners, which is a good sign of the depth and competition of the World MAME Gaming League. (Daniel Larsen from Denmark of MGLXXXII, Andrew Barrow from New Zealand of MGLXXXIII, Jason Vasiloff from USA of MGLXXXIV and Chris Clemente from USA of MGLXXXV).

Some gamers streamed their games on Twitch or Youtube which was appreciated and fun to watch and learn. Others posted their game play at TG for adjudication and recognition in the gaming community. Over 1,600 posts were made during the tournament including some great hints and motivation to engage all gamers and improve their scores. What was also unique about MGLXXXV is that it is the first tournament of 4 in the second ever World Championship of eSports, WCEII.

I hope you all enjoyed the competition and each others company in the virtual arcade that stretches across the whole planet. 8 games in 8 weeks have just been completed. Now it’s on to MGLXXXVI … and the rest of the tough MGL season for 2018. Good Luck!

Congratulations to Chris Clemente - MGLXXXV Champion.

The Mystery Prize Draw will commence shortly …

OOO

Edited by OOO

YESYES YES:109:

The worlds must have collided, Today I played in my first "Real Brick" Arcade tournament in 30 years, Great Fun.

But the real serious stuff is done right here on the MGL stage & I don't know how I got 3rd, but there it is :)

Big Thanks to OOO for all the work he does & to all the many players that strained a muscle playing Track n field, wasted hrs of there life playing Wonderboy (for 0 points) or flying really slow planes & fast cars :031:

Edited by SectionZ

@OOO you are by far the best spokesman, hypeman...whatever the word is for what you do. Really enjoy your summaries and the fact that you took time to write-up something for each player (top 40, i believe). Is just outstanding. I know you put a lot of effort into this and trust me I certainly appreciate your attention to detail/passion.

Kane Mawhinney scored 571 points for an average of 71.4 to finish in 24th place. His best score was 86,300 points for 17th place on Commando. Playing in his 27th MGL tournament, yes 27th, he is one of 3 gamers with a minimum of 27 starts. Amazing! (Derek Broadfoot and Andrew Cathcart are the others and they also gamed in MGLXXXV).

Not sure when or why we started using people's real names in the MGL as permission was not requested but for those who don't know and I imagine that's most people I am Andrew Cathcart. OOO has done a great job with the stats as usual and correctly posted that I have enjoyed participation in the MGL for a LONG time :) But it seems that he has decided to not continue with long held traditions of running the MGL such as addressing concerns and criticism and running new changes by players to have a vote or say about before implementing.

Thus he seemed to not notice that some players that have been in the MGL long before he came along including myself have stopped playing due to feeling that the MGL has moved too far away from it's roots and core values.

The competition that he has morphed the MGL into is still a great comp and well run and many people enjoy it, good stuff :) But it is no longer the MGL and I would like to see it called something else and the MGL name handed back to Aussie Arcade.

The MGL was a little local mame comp for Aussie Arcade members, most gaming forums have a similar thing, but now Aussie Arcade doesn't have one.

I would like to see the return of MGL back to being a little fun comp for Aussie Arcade members only like it used to be and I know from the few PMs I have received on the subject that I am not alone in that desire. I also want to see OOO's comp continue and thrive and grow as he wants it to, but under it's own name. Perhaps then I would play in both but I probably wouldn't have enough time and would just focus on the MGL. Unfortunately I don't have the time ATM to run the MGL, but I will in the future when my workload reduces. Perhaps one of the old AA members that have run it in the past will step up, or maybe it will take sometime, but I think it's possible to have both.

Congrats to TIF for his victory win and to all those who participated. A special thanks to Paul for his dedication and hard work that goes into running an event like the MGL. There was a good selection of games, for which several of them I haven't played in ages. When I saw what game #4 was, I rubbed my games together and said I have a good shot at taking the top spot on this one, only to find out shortly after, Armando Gonzalez submits an astounding 6M point score which became the new arcade world record by over 1.5M points. I gave it my all, but never expected to beat his score, let alone achieve a new PB by over 2.4M. I was actually happy with 2nd or 3rd place. I thought for sure I was going to pass the 7M mark if it weren't for those 2 back-to-back deaths I had toward the end. At least I know there's room for improvement. :)

I'm already looking forward to MGLXXXVI! Bring it on Paul! :)

still a great MGL ... I feel that the year 2018 is going to be hard, very hard, and it's very good like that!

thanks again Paul ! and congratulations to TodayIsForgotten and all the others for their scores and participation

giphy.gif