Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Battle of the Arcades Australia - June 9th and 10th

Moon Patrol isn't an issue Mike, as the "average" is always the same, it isn't affected by what people score as far as i am aware, the only thing that changes is the best time, and there are no extra bonus points awarded for getting the best time.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep Jon @Tanna94 is correct. It compares the average time which is a fixed value and not a true average.

Considering 1Up nominated Raiden II and they are apparently running the Japanese ROM set then it's

just a matter of making sure whatever multiboard people have does in fact have the Japan ROM set, or

in the case of MAME, using the raiden2j ROM I would imagine :unsure:

These are the various Raiden II ROMs - Stephen at 1 Up has a lot more knowledge of these types of

games and could hopefully load up MAME and make sure which ROM should be used:

raiden2j Raiden II (Japan)

raiden2 Raiden II (US, set 1)

raiden Raiden (set 1)

raiden2dx Raiden II (harder, Raiden DX hardware)

raiden2e Raiden II (easy version, Korea?)

raiden2ea Raiden II (easy version, Japan?)

raiden2eg Raiden II (easy version, Germany)

raiden2eu Raiden II (easy version, US set 2)

raiden2eua Raiden II (easy version, US set 1)

raiden2f Raiden II (France)

raiden2g Raiden II (Germany)

raiden2hk Raiden II (Hong Kong)

raiden2i Raiden II (Italy)

raiden2nl Raiden II (Holland)

raiden2sw Raiden II (Switzerland)

raiden2u Raiden II (US, set 2)

Anyone know if the attract mode screen at 1Up looks like this?

0001.png.2c45a88e25a0c20c9fd4cff5fd9afa32.png0002.png.03aa0a6d2e1a3790518b35ebede1edb8.png0003.png.b197973e6b5fe5367d55823c0da59bb5.png

Yes, the one the right.

Actually, all three screen grabs were from the Raiden II Jap ROM Set (raiden2j)

Had a quick game - I'm horrible at these sorts of games, but I really liked it although I sucked badly at it :lol

Thanks for the clarifications @Tanna94 & @John73

Referring to RII - I ran a comparison between a few of the different roms on Sunday night & found the following:

Harder version:

raiden2eg Raiden II (easy version Germany) - has the extra enemies & full colour score board background

raiden2eua Raiden II (Easy version US Set 2) - has the extra enemies & full colour score board

As you can see despite the words "easy version" being in the ROM name it is quite the contrary.

(Slightly) Easier version:

raiden2 Raiden II (US Set 1) less enemies with the b&w score board background

raiden2f Raiden II (France) less enemies with the b&w score board background

I just ran a google search & found nothing referring to the differences between the RII different ROM/region sets, which surprises me, so I'll run the rest of the comparisons tonight after work. In the meantime I'll get in contact with 1Up to see if they know exactly what ROM/board they are running - I assumed their machine is running the Japanese rom because when we were there 2 weeks back one of the locals said that it was. He said the Jap version is the original hard version & the version that got sent to the US was dialled back to make it easier for the westerners to play.

John, referring to your screen shots - I'm unable to make-out if they are from the harder or normal version of the game as both versions, from what I've seen carry these images in attract mode - however if it was the harder version of the game, on the right screen shot then just out of the shot further to the right there would be one of the extra enemies which is a turret style enemy that pops out of the ground just in front of the crate further right.

Are there any other Raiden players in the forum here? Let us know if so!!

Talking with jimmi over the weekend and some other players in regards to some games were setups or scoring bonuses increase the more its played as were are playing in a team battle and timed I dont see the need to reset the machines and instead use it for the teams advantage and make it a tactic on the day your best player goes first or last to maximize points as a strategy this is a aussie arcade battle thing not a world record comp and I personally think next one if arcades are nominating games were this happens awsome adds another element for the team experience may the best arcade win

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Only 4 more sleeps brothers and sisters!!!!

I have spoken with the all the interstate venues over the last 24 hours and everyone is pumped!!! All venues are well across the event and punters should get a great experience whatever venue they play at.

Am going to visit Pincadia and 1 Up Freeplay tomorrow so will have an answer regarding Raiden by tomorrow hopefully. Our Raiden 2 board is cooked (even though I bought it on here as a working board :) )so we will be using a MAME rig for this one too.

The t-shirts and patches are only a few hours away from being delivered and will get them in overnight post packs first thing tomorrow.

For those graciously choosing Netherworld as their battle ground I will be opening the doors from 8am Saturday and anyone who comes down to post scores for us will receive an Arcade Armageddon pin and 12 free tokens.

Remember mates that players are allowed unlimited attempts across the 12 games on the Saturday to put up their best scores within each venues allotted time frame. Sunday is one game best game!!!! No restarts. No second chances. (max game time 30 minutes) All venues will be starting around 10am with everyone hopefully finishing up by 4pm.

Scores will be rated. ie highest score on Frogger across all venues Sunday worth 100 points, second highest 99, third 98 etc etc.

The venue with the highest team total deemed the winner of BOTA. Also a prize for highest individual across Oz.

Final scores will be available live at https://matchplay.live/gby65

All venues will be live streaming a cab or two via twitch.tv

Check out twitch.tv/netherworldarcade from 10am Sunday

YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!

34318058_2050334598523294_7073728222168350720_n.thumb.png.80ed03283a574ef16458d9d892309bbc.png BOTA_Artwork.thumb.jpg.a6cc2e764cbfd66f20207e54ba7eefec.jpg34344512_10161229847730354_514627817539895296_n.png.fabceb3d1d5ab71327040c350a22d1b1.png

Quick questions about the Sunday team finals....

What happens if an arcade doesn't get 8 players? Do they just have to make do with what they have?

If a player wants to play on the Sunday only, can they if one of the arcades doesn't have 8 players - or maybe if they do have 8 or more players qualify and then people don't show up on the Sunday?

This post on FB from 1 Up regarding the correct ROM to use for Raiden II for those that don't know:

For those practicing at home on MAME for the Battle of the Arcades event this weekend, we have confirmed which version of Raiden 2 we have here in the arcade.

Thanks to the reseach of Michael Coolican, it has been confirmed that our arcade machine is running the Hard version of Raiden 2, which can be played on any of the following MAME Rom versions:

Raiden II (easy version, Germany)

Raiden II (easy version, Japan?)

Raiden II (easy version korea)

Raiden II (easy version, US Set 1)

Raiden II (Easy version, US Set 2)

Michael says, “Despite the word "easy" being in the actual title of the rom variant file - these are all actually the harder version of the game that are extremely similar, if not exactly the same as the game running in your cab there.”

Thanks again Michael and good luck everyone this weekend! May QLD reign supreme in this interstate event!

Its now in netherworld

Running US set1

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Be interesting to see how it goes sited at Netherworld. It's a more recent shooter, only played it a couple of times and has too much happening for my simple brain but it should appeal to a lot of people. Fantastic graphics.

The post from 1 Up mentions that the listed roms are fine

The post from 1 Up mentions that the listed roms are fine

There are 2 US Set 1's - the correct one if I read 1 UP's post correctly is raiden2eua if you want to use the US Set 1 ROM, the raiden2 ROM is also US Set 1 but apparently players differently - don't know if that means it's easier/harder/different scoring.

Well it's over. What an amazing event and a huge thanks goes out to all venues that got involved. It was no small undertaking and everyone did an amazing job.

Firstly massive congrats to Nigel Grypstra for taking out the top position out of the 41 people who represented their arcades on Sunday with a total of 1164 points.

The overall team winner was Netherworld who just pipped Pincadia who put up some amazing scores. Massive congrats to the guys at Netherworld who put in a massive effort with training and teaching each other tips and ticks to get through the early levels on most games.

8 Players Team Totals

1st - Netherworld - 8336

2nd - Pincadia - 7904

3rd - Player 1 - 6802

4th - Pixel Alley - 5681

5th - 1 Up Arcade - 5297

6th - 1989 Arcade - 5219

Game High Score Winners

Gyruss - Nigel Grypstra - 795,400

Pac-Man - Derek - 283,870

Donkey Kong - Matthew Tecchio - 320,600

Galaga - Nigel Grypstra - 514,150

Frogger - Jon Tannerhill - 72,600

Dig Dug - Nigel Grypstra - 137,150

Moon Patrol - Ross Symington - 120,420

Street Fighter 2 - Dale Koia - 972,200

Raiden 2 - Jessie Bogie - 894,970

Tapper - Tyson Hargreaves - 118,550

Double Dragon - Dennis Edmunds - 108,040

Bomb Jack - Nigel Grypstra - 512,950

Was an amazing weekend. Next year we will be back bigger and better. Thanks to everyone who made the effort to get down to their local arcades and get involved. :)

Thanks to Jimmy and Ben at Netherworld for getting this competition up and running.

Massive thanks to Dave & Tanya at Pincadia for hosting our team, very proud of how we did all things considered.

Nigel Grypstra from Pixel Alley - don't think you're a member on AA, but if you google your name and find this - Sir, you are a beast. Your scores were simply amazing.

Congratulations to the Netherworld team - worthy winners. Very strong team overall, and that's what is required to win a competition like this.

Kongrats NW! Looked like a boatload of fun and great that it introduced a few new people to the hobby

Some epic scores posted too. Awesome!

Here's hoping we can scrounge together an NZ team next year?? (If we're allowed!!) :D

:)

Great Fun at 'Player 1' in WA this weekend, playing in a Real Arcade for the first time ....in decades was a Buzz !

Thanks to everyone for the Comp, Mike for setting up all the Games & Alex for getting everyone involved & acting as score keeper & Playing!

Awesome, somehow you can kinda zone out at a Real Arcade :D

SC

First up, I'd just like to heartily congratulate Netherworld on their fine victory in this wonderfully auspicious inaugural event! Top games chaps! Brisbane is genuinely proving to be the mecca of arcade culture in Australia.

Next, hats off to Jimmi, Drue (Dungeon Master!) and all of the arcades Australia wide for making it all happen. It's been a tremendous weekend of pure arcade indulgence and it was simply a great deal of fun to play alongside Nigel (NIJ!) and Matthew (TEC!) in a team.

The whole experience was a true joy; a real landmark event of its type I would think. There's some tweaking and improvements we can make here and there naturally, but I simply can't wait until the next one! :) Cheers (BOB).

Nigel Grypstra from Pixel Alley - don't think you're a member on AA, but if you google your name and find this - Sir, you are a beast. Your scores were simply amazing.

Hey John - this is the NIJ from the 1942 thread that I was telling everyone about. He does have a handle here and I'm hoping he joins the next MGL, does some gaming on RU. He really is a great talent to watch in action. I enjoyed his company very much over the weekend and tried to learn from his techniques wherever possible. We finished up the night by playing some doubles on Gunbird which was a real treat.

I also owe him majorly for pipping me on Raiden 2 - whilst using my Hori stick no less! ;)

Had a great time this weekend at Pixel alley.

Thanks to everyone who made this happen, I know we only had a small turn out down here compared to up in QLD, but I hope it grows bigger and better next year!

It was an honour to meet Bob and Nigel and I appreciate them introducing me to a range of games that were not Donkey Kong or Pac-man.

Well done to everyone who took part and.... wow Nigel, you are amazing!

Battle of the Arcades 2018

Wow.

So many people to thank for such a great event.

Firstly, Jimmy, Ben and the Netherworld team for organising this event and all the associated logistics and supporting materials. You were incredibly generous in providing everything that you did. Thank-you. Congratulations to the Netherworld team for taking the win.

Secondly, John, Tanya and the rest of the Pincadia team. Well done. We always knew that Netherworld was going to stand up a strong team. Not only did we need to battle the Netherworld hype and reputation, but we had to battle the technology demons and the crowd at Pincadia for the AFL – including the bunch of 10 year old’s that climbed past the barricades and under the tables to see what was going on. We had no idea that we were going to get so close to the Netherworld score. Perhaps next year we will be even stronger. So proud of our result. Congratulations on such an awesome result.

Lastly, so great that so many other arcades and players got to compete. Well done and congratulations. Thank you; 1-Up Arcade (Qld), Player 1 (WA), Pixel Alley (Vic) and 1989 Arcade, Bar & Kitchen (NSW).

We can’t wait for the next one! Cheers!

Hey John - this is the NIJ from the 1942 thread that I was telling everyone about. He does have a handle here and I'm hoping he joins the next MGL, does some gaming on RU. He really is a great talent to watch in action. I enjoyed his company very much over the weekend and tried to learn from his techniques wherever possible. We finished up the night by playing some doubles on Gunbird which was a real treat.

I also owe him majorly for pipping me on Raiden 2 - whilst using my Hori stick no less! ;)

I'm sure he isn't on Twin Galaxies, maybe ask if he is keen to join and do some scores on original hardware. Looks like there are lots of games he'd give World Records a fair nudge on.