Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Head to Head Battle Pinny

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another 2 steps forward....Tidying up all the wiring so I can transfer the boards into the Battle Pinny Body, all plug and play :D Cabinet is all set for the control boards to go in.....getting a bit excited now :041:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]125256[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]125255[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]125257[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]125260[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]125259[/ATTACH]

It looks delicious.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Another 2 steps forward....Tidying up all the wiring so I can transfer the boards into the Battle Pinny Body, all plug and play :D Cabinet is all set for the control boards to go in.....getting a bit excited now :041:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]125256[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]125255[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]125257[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]125260[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]125259[/ATTACH]

Ah now i can see how it works :o

So the electronic guts have gone in ! Now to fit off all the cabinet connections and connections to the tower section, only about 60 wires....Also had a bad feeling the playfield parts would hit the boards due to the tight clearances in the cabinet. Luckily the mechs miss the relays by 10mm !

2083113718_2f20180312_162852.thumb.jpg.28f8964aed4eaafc20af697b0c1d75b8.jpg20180312_182713.thumb.jpg.cfd63b50b55838d14ac301a9b50e1ac7.jpg

So the electronic guts have gone in ! Now to fit off all the cabinet connections and connections to the tower section, only about 60 wires....Also had a bad feeling the playfield parts would hit the boards due to the tight clearances in the cabinet. Luckily the mechs miss the relays by 10mm !

[ATTACH=CONFIG]125411[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]125412[/ATTACH]

Wow mate great work.

After seeing the insides of the battle pinny set up on your workbench last week I must admit I was wondering to myself how in the hell is he gonna fit all that electronic wizardry inside the cabinet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lights, Action, Messages ! More wires connected, displays up with test software,side lights on ( problem with one of the bloody driver boards, grrr) Scrolling test messages, scrolling. Had a small heart palpitations when I turned it on and then after a second tripped out is main circuit breaker....Then noticed the multimeter leads had fallen into a bad place and shorted bad things out, anyhoo good test for the circuit breaker :o Sorry about the picture quality, crappy phone camera.

20180313_202504.thumb.jpg.d71ea08e99866e2f9156b2d55d107d8d.jpg

Lights, Action, Messages ! More wires connected, displays up with test software,side lights on ( problem with one of the bloody driver boards, grrr) Scrolling test messages, scrolling. Had a small heart palpitations when I turned it on and then after a second tripped out is main circuit breaker....Then noticed the multimeter leads had fallen into a bad place and shorted bad things out, anyhoo good test for the circuit breaker :o Sorry about the picture quality, crappy phone camera.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]125489[/ATTACH]

Looking Good! Might have to wear sunny's when playing...

Another h2h pin! Battle pin looks like it's more fun though ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well its 20 foot long ! and you dont get a ball onto the other players playfield from what I can see? But it does have more playfield toys than mine....

Battle Pinny is using EVIL Speed Camera technologie :o That's right, my clever assistant that is making the control driver for the magnets has told me how to make the induction sensor rings that will sense the ball or a car ! as it gets near the magnet, and turns it on in auto sense mode....The pictures show the sensor ring ( just 17 turns of enamelled wire ) wrapped in red tape. The other pic shows the magnet with additional heat sinks to help leech out the heat. The next picture is the cooling fan cowling that will blow air over the magnets to cool them even more ....Last picture shows the score light system , the phone got a bit overwhelmed with all the light. You can see the whole game starts green, as a red or blue person scores, the colour changes to their colour on the other side. So if you are red player and blue scores a few times, the lights progressively head to you turning from green to Blue.....this is to increase your sense of impending doom, or just look purdy.

20180318_171303_resized_1.thumb.jpg.118b8bbe171928f931c936c7e4114d98.jpg20180318_171323_resized.thumb.jpg.9b4fdff1a18d1f28c33970e47969fce4.jpg20180318_171400_resized.thumb.jpg.60169e3f8831fec82ecd767272c68ca6.jpg20180315_201623_resized.thumb.jpg.d8554f17860862476ff57766878450b8.jpg

Oww that's cleaver. I like that auto sensing.

I have put in shit loads of these loop detectors for vehicle use...

https://nortechdetection.com.au/products/gd200-dual-channel-inductive-loop-vehicle-detector/

Only 3 or 4 loops but they were for cars and trucks and much larger loops but I imagine precautions like twisting the cables from the loop to the detector would still need to be observed?.

Those detectors I linked to were pretty easy to set up. Basically wire them and turn them on with no metal near then for about 30 seconds so they can sample everything and done.

Even if they had metal near them providing it wasn't removed, any more metal would trigger them.

I'd like to see the trigger diagram for the electronics he is using. This seems to be one of those fields in electronics that can be made super simple or extremely complex.

Release the Smoke Genie !!!! Argh....:o I wired in the 240VAC plug and switch tonight, all good. Turned it on, and the computer power supply made a weird "thump" noise but then powered up OK. Odd I thought ? Smoke I then see ! Argh, I then yell ! and like the flash, ripped out the mains supply lead...Investigation has shown that when wiggling stuff and installing stuff, I must have knocked off some insulation tape , that then has let one of the 5volt supply wires to short ( that's the solder joint in the pic ) Worst thing is , the wires have melted right in the middle of a loom ! So now I will have to check all the cables are OK....bugger....What I found a bit odd, is that usually a short like this on the PC power supply, makes it put itself into auto shut down, this time it must not have been a perfect dead short, but enough to cook things ! Damn you Smoke Genie :realmad: Oh note to others, if this ever happens "DO NOT GRAB THE NOW WHITE HOT WIRES"

20180319_203928_resized.thumb.jpg.54637cfaeb5f85323e0eb8ff7f7e202a.jpg

Damm, One good thing, they aren't cloth wires.

Your PS is shot. The crowbar circuit in the 5vDC should have cut the 5vDC immediately in fact it shouldn't have allowed the PS to power up detecting the short when you powered it up unless it was the wiring itself, ( to much current for the wire), that caused the problem?.

Remember, a modern PS can throw out in excess if 20amps on the 5vDC line so if your only using 5-8amp cable, you'll smoke the wire if the demand is higher in which case a fuse would be wise. Ammeter on the 5vdc when everything is powered up will tell you and add about 10% for the fuse rating.

Just make sure the supply wire and the return can handle more than the fuse though.

Mmm...this happened to me on the Electric road project.

Since then i have NOT installed a main 5v supply preffering a 12v supply that is dropped by 7805's at each board.

So now if something fails on a board or lighting circuit its only 1 amp away from cutting out,its also

easy to find the offending 5v regulator its the one that is behaving like a 12 ohm resistor:realmad:.

N.B. stop switching positive and this is less likely to happen in the first place.

Edited by kress

N.B. stop switching positive and this is less likely to happen in the first place.

I was'nt switching positives, honest ! It was the 5VDC to one of the Arduinos that run the displays !!!!! I'm very careful as I dont want to suffer the wrath of @kress......the God Of Homebrews :o

+1

Fuses would be my recommendation when using a switch mode power supply or make all the wiring the 5vDC runs through higher current than the power supply is capable of.

+1

Fuses would be my recommendation when using a switch mode power supply or make all the wiring the 5vDC runs through higher current than the power supply is capable of.

Yes I might have to look at that. I have split all the 12vdc and 5vdc lines out of the PC supply, to spread the load across various wires. I can put in-line fuses on each line, I shall have to chat to @nmercury and see what his wonderful company has to offer :D.

The power supply I have been using has crowbared out before no problems, I think this was not a full direct short, thus the lovely melting on the wires.....

Time to fit fuses so as not to release the smoke genie again ! Thanks to @nmercury and the Quador Team, I have been given some nice din mount fuses to replace the non fusible terminals ! I will even measure the current on each circuit to put in the correct value fuse ... Please noet the wiring is still roughed in and will be all nice when finished !

20180321_192412_resized.thumb.jpg.eeeade25133fbcb8c60266fbf0bbd783.jpg

yes off topic, getting bored waiting for an update, 3 days and no pics ? :boring:

so I rated the thread, never rated a thread before, went to the opposite end of the 1 thinking that must be 10, clicked what I thought was for 10 stars and, well I'm told I rated it a 1, can this be undone?

sorry @thegrunta666

think I did it, clicked on the 10 and it went up, yay

So can speed camera technologie capture a pinball and fire a magnet? Well, yes it CAN ! The video shows the ball running over the induction loop that uses a Colpitts Oscillator !( I wound one, and I have no idea what it is !) Anyway, the ball changes the inductance of the loop that is sampled every 40ms. The processor then fires the magnet at full strength for 2 seconds, and then a hold strength for 1 second, then releases the ball. This will be used in the autonomous "mad magnets" mode in the game. Dont ask too many questions, as my "C " programming friend has created this electronic marvel. ( I think its Back magic )

schematic1.thumb.jpg.3b0cc2d225969adaa8fde170e9caad4b.jpg702545289_magnetboard.thumb.jpg.eba098c665a5601e09c348683319e0f8.jpg

So can speed camera technologie capture a pinball and fire a magnet? Well, yes it CAN ! The video shows the ball running over the induction loop that uses a Colpitts Oscillator !( I wound one, and I have no idea what it is !) Anyway, the ball changes the inductance of the loop that is sampled every 40ms. The processor then fires the magnet at full strength for 2 seconds, and then a hold strength for 1 second, then releases the ball. This will be used in the autonomous "mad magnets" mode in the game. Dont ask too many questions, as my "C " programming friend has created this electronic marvel. ( I think its Back magic )

[ATTACH=CONFIG]126397[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]126398[/ATTACH]

So how many turns of wire did you use and what size is it?

Not trying to copy your design or anything naughty like that it's just for reference [emoji6].

Now how do I save that schematic.[emoji16]

Cheers Trev

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk