Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

My Hundred Mile an hour Pinball Collecting Journey.

punkin

Or how to buy 10 machines in your first 6 months.

Most here probably know the basics but back in March this year i decided i'd always wanted a pinball machine so i'd get one.

Researched for a couple days, figured that new was not much more than second hand and in my naivety figured that a new machine wouldn't need any work for a few years to come.:lol

Well Bruce from AMD looked after me extremely well with my Deadpool and it was at my door the next day after deciding that was the one.

Didn't take me long to figure if one was great then two machines would be fantastic!

The Hobbit then arrived shortly after, beautiful HUO machine from a member here. After that things started getting fairly earnest in me chasing unusual and different machines to try to add depth to the collection.

I'm now up to 10 machines (2 still coming) and starting to be a little careful in condition when purchasing.

I'm making contacts with pinball people and i'm learning what sort of standards i can get affordably by relying on the enthusiasm from people that wish to restore and save these machines.Also i'm starting to try hard to play machines before i buy, not 100% successful yet at that as i still rely on research occasionally. I live in a small town and it's a fair way to travel to find places with lots of titles.

The hobby is giving me more satisfaction than any i've had for a few years now and i hope the enthusiasm burns for a long time to come.

Thanks to all those who have accepted, befriended and helped me the last 6 months, the bright parts of my days are when i can return a little of that help in some basic things i know or maybe even pinball things i have picked up from research and learning. My goal is to be able to increase the times i can assist and decrease the amount of times i am asking for help.

Thanks also to AA and the resource that helped me from owning a novelty i knew nothing about to being an active member of the scene and allowing me to dream of expanding from my first machine.

pinball23.thumb.JPG.1919e112a8d1b611bead20a3a213daec.JPG

• Like 1

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great post and great enthusiasm. It's really good to have a varied collection from a range of eras. Sometimes you are in the mood for a complex ruleset with lots of strategy and other times you want a quick bash on something simple. Also makes a good leveller for competitions or general gameplay with others.

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

Great post! I couldn't agree more how cool a forum such of this can be. The things you learn, being exposed to games you never thought you would, the people you meet and the new friendships formed as a result.

Probably somewhere in this there's a poster of you on a billboard with the slogan AA - Pinball is an addiction :o;) Seriously though, that's amazing acquiring such a diverse collection and 10 titles already. Do you have a target number or just focusing on whatever takes your fancy with theme/layout/features?

For me, I had a single game for about 5 years, then gained momentum with my collection once we moved into our current home. I guess I've been in the hobby around right on 10 years now and funny enough, literally picked up my 10th game over the weekend.

I'm going to say I'm like the tortoise, and you the hare. The journey is all part of the fun. Thanks for sharing.

I don't have a target number but i do have a limit number i'm tossing around.

I was out in the shed last week and got thinking and if i juggled some space out the back of the office (these are at the front) i could use that as a restriction. it's also about the number i thought all along would be a reasonable number to stop.

I don't have a target number but i do have a limit number i'm tossing around.

I was out in the shed last week and got thinking and if i juggled some space out the back of the office (these are at the front) i could use that as a restriction. it's also about the number i thought all along would be a reasonable number to stop.

I think you'll also find, once you get close to running out of space, that's when the creativity reaches a new level :)

I think you'll also find, once you get close to running out of space, that's when the creativity reaches a new level :)

Can't see that happening mate. I'd go broke before then. Hence the need to set myself a limit.

space2.jpg.9da7cbd8142c78b6cabfff9beedcd4e2.jpg

space1.jpg.e1ba8f32f45b2cfaef620c83ec2e3390.jpg

Wouldn't take much imagination to put 200 pinballs in this place.

I've got a pandora 3 here but i only turn it on for the kids.

I have someone looking for a Sega flash Beats in Japan for me, really want one of them. Haven't seen much else that excites me, Fortune Tellers but they are worth a ....welll....

How about a pic or two of some of the art on the "container" walls. I see a flamey looking one on the side of the 1st pic.

Re; how many games can I offer some advice from things I've learn't;

1 - Much as I'd like to you can't have them all - LOL even one era or brand in an era is an ask

2 - Depends how fastidious you are with things that niggle you like the odd blown globe or a cab with a scratch or a PF with one cracked plastic - does it matter OR not

3 - Maintenance. There was a poll on here about 4-5 years ago about what is a good number of pins to have in great working condition without so much as a blown globe or resets for e.g for the average Joe to have and I think it came to 6-7 games after the results came in. For the life of me I can't find the post - sorry.

With the varied collection you've gathered so far I reckon come Pinfest time next year you'll have narrowed down your particular genre' a little bit - maybe!!:lol

How about a pic or two of some of the art on the "container" walls. I see a flamey looking one on the side of the 1st pic.

Re; how many games can I offer some advice from things I've learn't;

1 - Much as I'd like to you can't have them all - LOL even one era or brand in an era is an ask

2 - Depends how fastidious you are with things that niggle you like the odd blown globe or a cab with a scratch or a PF with one cracked plastic - does it matter OR not

3 - Maintenance. There was a poll on here about 4-5 years ago about what is a good number of pins to have in great working condition without so much as a blown globe or resets for e.g for the average Joe to have and I think it came to 6-7 games after the results came in. For the life of me I can't find the post - sorry.

With the varied collection you've gathered so far I reckon come Pinfest time next year you'll have narrowed down your particular genre' a little bit - maybe!!:lol

https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/51200-How-many-pins-is-too-many

Air Hockey. Great idea.

I took 1 to the Philippines years ago.

Table ended up f****d coz ex idiot didnt bother to move it when 1/5 of the roof blew off in a Typhoon (thats another story). There was plenty of space to move it to. MDF swelled. Good for big table now

Air hockey, plenty of space mmm

I have a Japanese air hockey table being sourced for me i hope.

As far as the office containers i posted the link once before but the build thread is here;

https://www.stilldragon.org/discussion/2140/new-office/p1

The number in my head atm is 24. the front 4 that get played most and twenty out the back. As far as keeping them working I have 8 here and 3 have sticky notes and are turned off ( 2 minor) even though i spent two hours working on a couple of them yesterday. :)

I am enjoying learning though.

• 3 weeks later...

My journey continues and more of the weird and wonderful arrived via Bill yesterday when he dropped off a beautiful Spy Hunter to me.

https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=spy+hunter&sortby=name&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#2328

Loving this machine although i've only had a couple of games on it. So different with the offset flippers and wide outlanes.

spyhunter1.jpg.d5dec3a2caf05a8c224fc5c8dc31dd4f.jpg