Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL 24 - Game 7 ~ Frogger ~ [FINISHED]

Hey John I'm no expert and my high score is less than yours, but in the past I had a theory that you could manipulate the speed changes by how fast you get the frog home. I'm guessing that is how the really big scores are achieved, because they know how to not trigger the worst of the speed changes. I tested this years ago with some success, but it wasn't all that scientific and I may have fallen for positive bias.

That's what I've heard, was it from you last time frogger came up? :lol

I've found some speed changes stay for a longer overall time than others, sometimes you'll get horrible speed changes in the first 5 boards most times you won't. It's beyond my brain to try and work it out.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15,940 I don't seem to be able to get past the 5th board. Can normally get through 1-3 pretty easily then I end up in the blender :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]76902[/ATTACH]

If you look at your screen shot you will notice two important things about getting through the 5th board:

1. There is a gap between the trucks (5th row of cars)

2. There is a gap between the (normally) fast lot of 4 red cars (4th row)

You can't see it here, but there is also a longer gap in the 3rd row of cars, though you can jump in between these if you get the timing right. You can even jump in, then jump left and follow them safely if your timing is right.

If possible, you want to marry up the larger gaps between the 5th and 4th rows of vehicles, the river part is not nearly as hard to get through.

- - - Updated - - -

Had one stuff up, but just trying to put this together quickly.

I will try and do a board 1-5 video shortly and post it to YouTube. Of course you can always watch a 870k game on YouTube if you really need help, but it's Don Hayes playing and he goes a hell of a lot quicker than I do :)

Hi John and thanks for the tips - well worth listening to with your scores.

I get the truck row gaps and also the grouping on the fast cars, Also because they always come from the same direction you can start more towards one side and sidestep in direction of traffic flow.

I normally get into trouble on the water, most often trying to get into top left home box, lack of logs, sinking turtles and combined with time pressure.

The game just seems a big step in difficulty at board 5 for me :unsure

Board 4 & 5 are really when it steps up. Have a quick look at the video I posted, board 5 there should never be a need to step on the sinking turtles. You can on the bottom row of sinking turtles if you like, but the top row, no need to use them. I 99% of the time get the far left home position out of the way first on board 5.

Many dumb mistakes. Got through the hard boards without losing lives but then try and rush too much on the easier ones

That's sort of my problem too, concentrate so hard on not stuffing up boards 4 & 5, then do stupid stuff because I'm thinking the next 3 boards are going to be easy.

Nice score increase though, putting the screws on Brad to post some big scores this weekend.

I'm still trying (and failing) to get that 100k score.

I was playing this with my 15 yo daughter and she said that 'crossy road' (mobile game) is the same thing but heaps more fun.

intrigued, i downloaded it to my tablet..And I've got to say that I agree with her :) the emulation in mame just borks this great classic title. Hope to give it a decent shake before closing - if I can stop playing crossy road.She has a better high score than me and I've got to claim that first :)

AFAIK the emulation in MAME is correct also, it was just poor programming - possibly a rushed title that lead to the really bad collision detection.

Doubt I'll get time for another serious game, it's a shame after getting 94k early not be able to beat Knight76's score and also break 100k. There is always next time :)

nah she's wrong, crossy road is no way better than frogger.

had a decent go this eve and this is the best I could manage, Board 9 or 10 I think. Thrashed my frogger score from MGL12, which was more than 4 years ago, reckon I've done a fair bit of gaming in those 4 years :D

how often did I get left hanging waiting for a log top left corner, lost count of the deaths there. I think I even jumped on otters in desperation a few times....

Great score @John73, nerves of steel and so close to rolling it which is a pretty awesome achievement in Arcade land on this classic.

It is hard to beat games from 1981.

http://s8.postimg.org/8luaf2jb9/20150418_221422.jpg

I need to get a game in before it's over, so I at least get a few points ;) I didn't do the last one, mostly because I was thinking it was hyper sports, which I'm horrible at, but I didn't really wanna button mash on my laptop keys anyway.

ok, first serious attempt...didn't notice until I was about 20K in though (still on my 1st life), that I had it set to 3 men instead of 5 :censored:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]76972[/ATTACH]

That's a very good score for a first serious attempt, and that's on 3 lives too. Come on, 5 lives and see if you can threaten the higher scores.

Anyone out there going to beat the AA record? :whitey:

5 hours to go ... and then no frogger for a long time I am sure ... make it happen!